[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Tiny Portable track

Tiny Portable track

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Tiny Portable track

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:34 pm

After getting kind advice from several members, a few weeks ago, I finally produced this.
48x20 inches extruded polyurethane insulation board, 2inches thick.Covered in 3mmMDF, and hinged in the middle.
Track shamelessly and gratefully copied from Boopie Jones in another forum.(hope he doesn't mind!).

All 'scenery' detaches before folding in half

and everything packs away into compartments routed into the foam.

Then the integral case is closed around it.

Who says you can't take it with you? You can now!

David.

PS: I finally lost patience with Photobucket and opened a Flickr account. The pictures have come out disappointingly small.Anyone like to advise me on how to make them bigger?
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Tiny Portable track

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:09 pm

Oh this is a great one sir.

NICE WORK!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:08 pm

Thanks so much for the kind comments.

Here is a bigger picture(I hope!), or two.

Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HRWJim » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:51 pm

That is one of the coolest things I have seen! I really like how the controller fits right in. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:54 pm

It seems to me that being made from insulation material, it should be comfortably light weight. That would save on shipping. Is anyone else thinking about Christmas presents for grandchildren? I think I could crank out the parts about six at a time, take a day to trim it all up just right, wire and tape them for a day, then paint, assembly, crafting a nice cover like David's, etc...

Between now and Christmas, there could be a dozen of these ready to go.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:22 pm

"Okay, so I've gone from wanting to make one, to HAVING to make one"

LOL, hmmmm. Yes it appears we will have a "Yank" version of this one soon.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Ember » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:28 pm

Absolutely brilliant idea!

I wonder how many actually will get made rather than just considered.

Congratulations
Embs
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby dreinecke » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:01 pm

That is brilliant! I love it! Very cool and compact design. Nice work, Sir!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby boopiejones » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:21 am

I thought that layout looked familiar! Very cool. I like the way you made it portable. That was the original plan for mine but I got lazy.
boopiejones

Postby RazorJon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:02 am

The track is great

I would like to do something like that
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby reel55 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:26 am

Very Cool!!!!!! and inspiring
reel55

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks for your kindness,everyone.

Now that Bibbster has sorted me out with photos, there are a few things that might interest those planning to make their own.

The top surface and three sides of each half are 3mmMDF, but the fourth side is 2x1 inch softwood to allow the use of reasonable length woodscrews for the hinges.I used white woodworking glue to attach the sides after gluing the MDF to the foam with solvent-free glue of the 'No More Nails' type.
You can just make out the little pads of Velcro that keep the flower beds in place on the ends.The middle bed with the flagpoles just sits there located by the rebates for the hinges.
I wasn't going to put a board backing on the hinged section, but ended up doing so by 'accident' as my first attempt at routing the track was a disaster! :oops:

The power supply is a plug-in regulated supply from Maplins(a UK electronics chain like Radio Shack), with switchable voltage in steps from 3.5v to 12v.I used a 60ohm Carrera controller(E-bay); and you can't really use more than 9volts.

I did wire an on/off switch to an XLR plug which can substitute for the controller , which lets you run a car on low voltage without attention.Like under the tree at Christmas, for instance.

The perspex barriers that stop the cars falling over the edge are held on by neodymium magnets like the ones you don't need in cars if you run on wood. One magnet fixed to the frame with adhesive mounting tape.(N.B. TAKE CARE HANDLING THESE IF YOU HAVE A HEART PACEMAKER - and don't get them within a foot of your credit cards).

That's it.

I'm hoping to try a bigger track using the same method next.

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cjent » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:16 pm

That is really cool. Would work great for the kids. I would build one just to watch the TSA people at the airport go crazy! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cjent
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:42 pm

That is neat!!!! Nice work!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Broman62 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:42 pm

Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next