[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Slot Car Cooking

Slot Car Cooking

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Slot Car Cooking

Postby Ember » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:31 am

I was going to add to Rob's cooking thread, but I can't find it. :( Even the search function hasn't made it surface.

Ember, this post is edited as Rob has started the new recipes. - me
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Re: Slot Car Cooking

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:18 am

2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:35 pm

Jenny's Baked Spaghetti:

Ingredients
- 12-oz. spaghetti
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 (16-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4.5-oz.) can mushrooms
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 1 (10.75-oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- cup water
- cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
1. Cook spaghetti according to directions on box or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Saute onions, green peppers, and ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once beef is brown, add tomatoes, mushrooms, and oregano. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
4. Place half of cooked spaghetti into the prepared baking dish. Top with half of meat mixture. Sprinkle 1 cup of Cheddar cheese. Repeat.
5. In a small bowl, mix together cream of mushroom soup and water until smooth. Pour over casserole and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:37 pm

Cindy's (General My Way) Tater Tot Casserole:

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can rotel tomatoes (your choice on heat level)
1 can chopped green chiles
big bag of tator tots
1 lb of thick sliced bacon
green onions (chopped)
1/2 large yellow onion finely chopped
4 cups shredded cheese (your choice on flavor) I usually use cheddar
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 lb hamburger

Brown hamburger season with salt, pepper, few onion, garlic powder and taco seasoning. Drain and set aside
cut bacon into about 1/2 inch long pieces
fry, drain and set aside
in large bowl mix soups, sour cream, rotel, green chiles, 1/2 of onions, green onions, and cheese mix well add hamburger and 1/2 the bacon stir well.
Add tator tots and mix all well.
Spray bottom and sides of large baking dish or aluminum pan whatever you need to hold it.
Add everything into baking dish and cover with foil.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes until tator tots are soft and it is bubbling in center.
Take out and cover with remaining cheese, green onion and bacon.
Put back in oven long enough to melt cheese.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Rob's Deeply Twisted Bagged Chicken

Okay, I admit it. I love roast chicken from the supermarket. But I don't think a lot of the quality of their birds. I also don't have almost two hours to wait for a chicken, even with vegetables, when I cook it at home. So, when Barbara said her friend in Scotland had cooked a chicken in a roasting bag in her microwave, I started experimenting. The first try was gratifying, using a small bird (5.3 pounds), and a bit of salt and pepper with an envelope of onion soup mix, and it was good, but it could be a lot better. The second was perfection. Here it is. And its fast.

6 pound (plus or minus) bird

I large roasting bag with tie

1 tblspn flour for the bag (physics-- trust me and don't worry about how weird that is)

2 tblspns Paul Prudhome Poultry Seasoning Magic (my favorite), plus anything else you want, like lemon pepper, BBQ, savory, rosemary, onion soup, herbs de provence, Tuscan, Mexican Mole, etc. Any style you want, just throw it in the bag with onions, carrots, small potatoes, celery, enough to feed how ever many folks you're feeding. It doesn't really matter to the cooking time at all. You can cook the bird just as well with no vegetables at all. I made the Mexican Mole with poblano, jalapeno, and chili peppers with onions, but the peppers had to be roasted in the oven first, and skinned.

Put the flour and seasonings in the bag, shake it around, put the washed and patted dry bird in (I trust you have removed the crap they include; guts, liver, gizzard, lizard, heart, lungs, etc), followed by the veggies. Shake it around again. Twist the open end of the bag and fold it over, then tie it tight. Leave a lot of air in, its doesn't matter. Place the whole business in a microwave dish that will hold the chicken, legs and breasts up, with veggies all around. Make certain to tuck the corners of the bag under the bird so they don't flop out and drain the juices away from the bird. Cut small slits in the top of the bag. This will keep the corners from flopping out better than anything.

Check the sticker on your microwave door opening. For 1000 watts, cook a 6 pound bird for 45-50 minutes. For 1200 watts, cook a 6 pound bird a bit less. The skin with brown nicely all by itself. Even if the skin isn't brown as much as you would like on a large bird, the inner thigh will still exceed 165 degrees, which is minimal for chicken. You won't believe the taste. One caution- if you let the temperature deep in the breast exceed 190, the breasts will dry fast on the plate.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:40 pm

Texas Chicken Fried Steak (its a mess, but very much worth it)

3 pounds cube steak (tenderized round steak that's been extra tenderized- run it through 4 times)
1-1⁄2 cup whole milk, plus up to 2 cups for gravy
3 whole large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
salt
1⁄4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
LOTS Of Black Pepper. Lots.
Paul Prudhomme's Toasted Onion and Garlic seasoning
canola oil, for frying

Preparation Instructions
Begin with an assembly line of dishes for the meat: milk mixed with egg in one; flour mixed with
spices in one; meat in one; then have one clean plate at the end to receive the breaded meat.
Work one piece of meat at a time. Season both sides with salt and pepper, then dip in the milk/egg
mixture. Next, place the meat on the plate of seasoned flour. Turn to coat thoroughly. Place the meat
back into the milk/egg mixture, turning to coat. Place back in the flour and turn to coat.
(So: wet mixture/dry mixture/wet mixture/dry mixture.) Place breaded meat on the clean plate, then
repeat with remaining meat.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop in a few sprinkles of flour to make sure it’s
sufficiently hot. Cook meat, three pieces at a time, until edges start to look golden brown; around 2 to 2
1/2 minutes each side.
Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and keep warm. Repeat until all meat is cooked.
GRAVY:
After all meat is fried, pour off the grease into a heatproof bowl. Without cleaning the pan, return it to
the stove over medium-low heat. Add 1/4 cup grease back to the pan. Allow grease to heat up.
Sprinkle 1/3 cup flour evenly over the grease. Using a whisk, mix flour with grease, creating a golden-
brown paste. Keep cooking until it reaches a deep golden brown color. If paste seems more oily than
pasty, sprinkle in another tablespoon of flour and whisk.
Whisking constantly, pour in milk. Cook to thicken the gravy. Be prepared to add more milk if it
becomes overly thick. Add salt and pepper and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until gravy is smooth and
thick. Be sure to taste to make sure gravy is sufficiently seasoned.

Serve it with mashed potatoes, drown it all in gravy. Drink beer and await the praise.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:54 pm

Crazy 7-Up Biscuits (but use Sierra Mist to avoid nasty taste of HFCS)

Ingredients
4 c bisquick
1 c sour cream
1 c 7-up
1/2 c butter, melted

Directions
1. Mix bisquick, sour cream and 7 up. Dough will be very soft - don't worry :) Knead and fold dough until coated with your baking mix. Pat dough out and cut biscuits using a round biscuit / cookie cutter. Melt butter in bottom of cookie sheet pan or 9x13 casserole dish. Place biscuits on top of melted butter and bake for 12-15 minutes or until brown at 425 degrees

Shotgun Dave loved this one.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:58 pm

Ha! I was doing it while you posted!

I'm trying to piece-meal this thing back together. My memory isn't what it was. I confirmed that our wonderful collection is lost. I searched for Jenny's spaghetti the Pow Fatty and got nothing, its definitely gone. It wasn't long ago that I went back to it to get a recipe, and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't just copy everything the way I thought I had.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

POW Fatty!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:24 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:33 pm

Rob's Crab Cakes (I am particularly proud of this one)

8 oz. LUMP crab (very important- lump only)
cracker meal
1 beaten egg
1 tblspn dry parsley
1 tblspn mayonaise (the real stuff, no miracle goop)
1 tblspn baking powder
1-1/2 tspn Worchestershire sauce
1/8 tspn horseradish
2 tspn Old Bay Seasoning
pinch of salt

Mix everything but the cracker meal together, being gentle with the crab. Add the cracker meal a little at a time, until you can make sloppy, slumping golf balls (probably 10 of them). Melt 1/2 butter flavor Crisco, 1/2 oil in a wide frying pan, only about 1/4 inch deep, and put the golf balls in the hot oil, flattening the tops as soon as you put them in, to make a patty shape that is twice as tall as the oil is deep. Be careful, they brown quickly. Flip them to brown the other side, and as soon as they are browned, serve them.

Sauce:
You can make a nice light white sauce for them (butter, flour, parmesan), or use the traditional Low Country Sauce for crabcakes, as below.

Johnny Fleeman Honey Mustard, Texas Pete Honey Mustard, and mayonaise, equal parts, thoroughly mixed. Its just like real Low Country Sauce.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:46 pm

Pasta Al Carbonara (shortcut)

1/2 lb. bacon, fried and crumbled
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
High quality jarred Alfredo sauce, or Alfredo Sauce from Sauer or Knorr envelope
reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon grease

In a large nonstick skillet saute mushrooms in bacon grease till tender.
Return bacon to skillet.
Add Alfredo sauce, cover and simmer till hot.
Serve over pasta of choice.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Fake Apple Pie (you can't tell it isn't apple)

boil 1 minute:
1-1/2 cups water
1-1/2 cups sugar

boil 3 minutes:
24 ordinary soda crackers
3 tspn Cream of Tartar

Put this in an unbaked pie crust, dot with margarine, and sprinkle cinnamon all over the top. Pull it from the oven when the crust is done (pie crust directions will tell you).
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Impossible Pie

4 eggs
1 c. sugar
1/2c. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4c. soft margarine
1 c. coconut
2c. milk
1/4tsp. salt
1/2tsp. baking powder (omit if using self-rising flour)

Instructions:
Mix ingredients together in blender adding them in order
listed, mix between additions, mix well, and pour into a
well-greased 10" pie pan.

Bake at 350*F for 1 hour or until top of pie is nicely
browned. Refrigerate leftovers.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:14 pm

Takes about 2 hours INDIRECT heat. Build your fire on the right, Pow Fatty on the left. :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Ember » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:15 pm

Rob, that Impossible Pie is loved the world over. I remember my mum introducing me to it about 20 odd years ago. There are both sweet and savoury versions.

I'll add mine when I fire up the laptop later. A bit hard to type and edit by phone.

Can someone please pin this so we don't lose it again among the other things?
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge