[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Suzuka South

Suzuka South

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Suzuka South

Postby acmost » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:48 am

Suzuka South
58'
3 Lanes, Copper
3/8" MDF, CNC cut
Flat Latex
TrackMate Variable Power(9-10 volts seems to be plenty)
PM Controllers
DeadStrip, DS 200, PC Lap Counter

(I'm in the process of upgrading to TrackMate Timing)

Here's my recent story:

So uhhh - later that same century: Suzuka South.
CNC - 3/8" MDF. It was cut about two years ago maybe.
Tossedman(Todd) designed it for me and did a great job
It has a few flaws but I fault nobody but myself.

1. The borders are too skinny. I just took it for granted they would be 5 & 1/2" or whatever it's supposed to be or I thought I'd mentioned it and didn't realize I hadn't. Anyway when I got it home I was pretty bummed when I saw it but again…my fault.

2. It doesn't quite line up but it's very hard to tell with out joining the pieces and seeing how far I can pull what. It's close though.

3. The hairpin's probably a little tighter than I liked but I saw it beforehand so again I signed off on it.

So I get it home &it's pretty close but I was discouraged so I say screw it, I'll take the hit & chalk it up to experience & I store it. I haven't messed with slots since really.

Enter today two years later…I got some peeps coming for the holidays and break out a couple of tubs full of Carerra, take it all out…stare at it and the plastic borders and jumpers and and and & it comes back to me why I went wood….put it away and break out the Suzuka South pieces, dust off the cob webs and am determined to make this work, I hope...

A few days later…it's gonna work I think, the routes appear to line up 95%…I'm going to let the aprons fly as is and if it's unbearable I'll widen them. I'm negotiating a L Girder rig and seeing if I can finish this. My wood chops suck but… Thanks for looking & hopefully I won't bail in the middle of it!

Last edited by acmost on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
acmost
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Suzuka South...sorta

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:07 am

Hey, good to see you!

Looks great. I bet you make one heck of a nice running course!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby acmost » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:25 pm

acmost
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby acmost » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:26 pm

acmost
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby acmost » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:31 pm

Thanks!

As long as I'm pretending like I know what I'm doing: The 6' Curve Stage Left.

I upped to 1x4 girders(still no L) and 1x3" joists. I'm actually usiing furring strips. Cheapness! You got to go through a bunch of 'em to find something sorta straight & not too beat up and it's super light and soft almost like balsa. It's okay though, seems to be working, I wouldn't walk on it but….

The other end I have 1x3s and 1x2s...I was going to up their sizes also but it seems to be working...so I just need to figure out the middle section with the hairpin etc...

Looking forward to deciding on placement & trimming the outer edges of the joists and trying some elevated stuff. Anyway…still here.
acmost
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Tsooko » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi acmost
Ya got to love Suzuka! It is one of the most copied tracks for slot racers. Yours looks great!
Todd and I have been doing tracks for years now. He is awesome in his design work and I got a cnc router. We have found that the guide slots are often misaligned after the track is laid out. A sharp chisel and some judicious sanding will bring the slots to alignment. If you have to get the groove too wide, put in a 1/8" strip of plastic and bondo up the gap with a putty knife. When it cures take out the plastic and sand it smooth. Works like a hot dam! Bondo stinks but works very well, is durable and sands well. I have also used JB Weld and Todd has used an Epoxy wood filler you can get at most big box stores like Home Depot. They don't stink so bad. They also work good on nail and screw holes and joints between sections.
Are you going for copper tape or braid?
Sometimes projects look too big for us at the beginning but don't give up. When you are done it will be Awesome.
Good luck with your project. Post lots of pictures.
Cheers Ted
Tsooko
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JESIV » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:44 am

Awesome track choice. I've been trying to lay at plastic track version very similar to this.
Keep at it, this will be awesome when completed.
JESIV
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby acmost » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:26 am

acmost
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby acmost » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:28 am

acmost
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:53 am

Man the big sort of swoopy, sort of strait(ish), sort of ess(ish) overpass section looks like fun. I am big on swoopers but I have never tried folding them back the other way. I guess that is because I don't have enough length to fit all that in lengthwise. That will be a very nice track. I wouldn't fret the narrow aprons. They are easy to add back in while you are filling in the scenery.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JESIV » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Another question. Race direction. Will the cars run in the direction that they are pictured in the first pic or the opposite?? It looks like it be fun either way, when it comes time to wire it maybe adding reversing switches in?!?!?
JESIV
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby acmost » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:36 am

acmost
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby acmost » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:39 am

acmost
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:56 pm