[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - "Raceable" Fencing

"Raceable" Fencing

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

"Raceable" Fencing

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:19 pm

Decided I needed to put function before form. On our oval we race and race hard. Especially the 1/24 H&R series where crashed can be brutal. So I wanted to make a fence that looked somewhat good...but actually WORKED and would last.

I started using plastic gutter guard found in any home center.

Next I used 1/8" steel and brass rods for the supports. I cut them 6 inches long. I did not need them to go all the way to the top, and this also helped me get the maximum number of sections out a 3 foot piece. You can get this rod at Lowe's in the "Metal by the piece" area that is usually located in generic hardware. I mixed and matched steel and brass so you know it doesn't matter which you choose.

I drilled the holes with a 1/8 drill bit about a 1/4 inch deep. Nothing precise here. I set the drill bit as far into my drill and left a little over 1/4 inch visible. This way when I drilled, I knew the depth would be the same for every rod. I used a small tap hammer to tap the rods into place until they were fully seated.

You can bend them to suit your taste if they are a little off, no harm done.

I used craft wire to secure the "fence" to the rods. One near the top, one near the bottom. You could use other material, zip ties..etc. I just have a spool of this I use for other projects and it works just fine.

All done. I spray painted it silver to give a better effect. Is it scale? Of course not. But still has a decent effect, or at least good enough for me. I have used this method before and it has worked perfectly for years. I strayed from it on my last fence for the sake of scale and shouldn't have.

I wanted something "raceable" and this gives it to me.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: "Raceable" Fencing

Postby deslot » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Looking at the race car mark's on that wall, the fencing will indeed come into play. Look's good Harry.
deslot

Postby dreinecke » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:38 am

Harry - I'm with Bibbster - great How-To, and one I'm sure that alot of folks can easily emulate. And, that's the mission of this forum - educate AND entertain.

As for "scale" of the fence - until you said that, I wouldn't have even noticed - and frankly, I still don't care as I think it looks great. Besides, that's just another place for Jeremy and Tubby to destroy my precious resin cars with their insane driving habits...
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby ListerStormGT » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:02 am

ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Carl 72 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:16 am

Was trying to think what to use on my new oval for fencing now this is the way to go thanks Harry

Carl
Carl 72

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:32 am

YW Carl. Glad it helped.

New oval eh? I like new ovals :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby rwfoote » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:22 pm

This is really a great idea. I was wondering if you have any ideas on how to attach it to raised Carrera track?
rwfoote

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:17 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby racerk86 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:29 pm

What is it again that you use for your "wall"?
racerk86

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:37 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Return to Layout Planning & Design