Motor discussion

Motor discussion

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:37 pm

Started up a new thread instead of creating too much noise on the track thread. Yes rpm is rated at 12 volts. The avant motors specs are rated at 14 volts. The orange cans are listed at 25 k but when measured at 12 volts they are spot on at 22k and the torque numers are over 320

I will be replacing my 17 K motor as it would be a flat out full throttle drive around the track at 10. Volts.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Motor discussion

Postby SuperSlab » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:32 pm

I have just noticed that according to the letter of the rules, the NSR Shark 22k is illegal. NSR rates it as 22,400 RPM, which exceeds the 22,000 RPM limit. Ergo: I will have to replace the motor in my car.

Allan: I suspect most people would look at the motor model and the big writing on the label and assume it is legal. I think we need to either make sure all entrants understand that it is NOT legal and make sure they comply OR there would have to be a variance allowed.

Alwyn
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:36 am

Thanks Alwyn, I agree. I will clarify this by EOD Monday.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:29 pm

I have started scoping all my motors and writing the number on the can with a paint pen.

I found it annoying that a motor rated at 18 k will actually turn 23 k. Kind of defeats the whole purpose, especially for proxy racing.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:51 pm

We run an 18k motor class designed to be for standard Scalextric motors I haven’t tested every car but of the ones I have tested I haven’t found one that runs at 18k they were all over 20k
I tested two motors out of older Carrera cars they came out at 25k which explains why the cars wouldn’t stay on the track (non magnet)

We run and NC1 class as well I have found up to 1k difference in motors
I am not into competitive racing but I know now why some competitions hand out motors the only proxy I have raced in specifies 4 brands of motors and I guess you picked the best one you can find for those brands
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to MRollingThunder Can-Am Proxy 2018