Colored Molotow Pens?? BEWARE!!!

Custom Paint Job Showcase
From Decals To Painting Techniques - We Have You Covered!

Colored Molotow Pens?? BEWARE!!!

Postby Broman62 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:58 pm

So all the posts on Molotow pens here have been on the chrome pens...my question is has anyone tried the colored ones...red, white, orange etc. (acrylic??) Molotow pens that are out there?? If so could we get some feedback on how good or bad they are and how does the coloring look on your projects?? Are they as good as the chrome ones?? Any info is appreciated...thanks!!!
Last edited by Broman62 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Colored Molotow Pens?? BEWARE!!!

Postby Broman62 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:45 pm

BEWARE!!!

So I ended up purchasing a handful of these different colored Molotow acrylic paint pens and I was impressed with the colors so I used them to paint the driver figure for one of my 1/24 cars and proceeded to use them on one of my Showdown cars!! The 1/24 Car was ready to be dipped in Future and away it went...BUT...as soon as it started soaking, the freakin paint from the Molotow paint pen began to run all over the place...I was freaking out, so I pulled the car out of the Future to let it dry...trying to sop up all the running paint I could from interior plate!! Got as much as I could but still mucked up the interior plate!! Then I thought what the *#%@* am I gonna do now with my Showdown car that was covered with this Molotow paint and ready for a Future dip...luckily I had Duplicolor Clear Coat Finish to spray over this car and it didn’t affect the Molotow paint at all!! Thank goodness!! Was even thinking about dipping the car in Future after a couple layers of the DCCF but wasn’t gonna press my luck but will try it eventually to see how it comes out!! Maybe it was said before not to mix acrylic paint and Future together but this was a first for me!!

I still ended up using the Molotow paint pens to paint the driver figures for both my Showdown cars but used the DCCF to cover them both and dipped my other Showdown Car in Future and then glued in interior...still wasn’t taking any chances!!

So BEWARE if you use those MAPP and Future together!!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FC47 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks for posting that, I could feel the panic as I was reading it!!
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 4424ever » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:47 pm

Ya I know what you mean FC47 it took me right back to when my nova melted before my very eyes, yup nothin but tears :o
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:45 am

It is a good idea to test a new combination of finish paint, clear coat, etc. before you use it on a project. As soon as you said acrylic I thought that you could have trouble. Using a solvent based clear first might have avoided the problem.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:34 pm

Yes sir...it was and is a learning lesson!!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Halfj-7 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:13 pm

Good to know, I just picked up my first bottle of Future Pledge and was going to coat a few new builds tonight. Used the Molotow chrome and black pens to do the windshield and bumper trims.
Halfj-7

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:02 pm

beware using any previous clear protectants on the Molotow chrome. You will lose most of the luster/reflection/chrome whatever you want to call it. It will look basically like a shiny silver. The only known clear that has preserved the actual look the pen puts out are these 2 clears. And only after the chrome has dried at least 2 weeks. (this is airbrushed) both chrome and clear... not sure about straight out of the pen.
Image Image
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby GRUNZ » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:27 pm

hi
I have read that also the Alclad Klear Kote Gloss is very good and does not ruin the luster of the chrome.
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:39 pm

Did a small test yesterday on my T/A drivers head...went ahead and painted it with the Molotow chrome and acrylic paint pens and let them dry and then sprayed it with the Duplicolor Clear coat and gave it about an hour to dry and then dipped it into my Future bath and no running of the acrylic paint...pretty happy about that!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:56 pm

I did not know they have different colors, I thought they only came in chrome
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:45 pm

Bro, I don't understand why people still continue to dip cars in Future when we have been teaching people over a decade that it is a huge waste. Not to mention the dripping mess, and the drip edges along the bottom of the car that have to be cut off after it hardens. Completely unnecessary. Just brush it on generously with a wide brush, or air brush it on. It couldn't be simpler. I've never seen the necessity for a second or third coat, but people do it. By dipping, you use more than what is used for 3 separate coats, and you get no more protection than one well-applied brushed-on coat.

Do the guys you race with all dip the cars? Is it like a regional method everybody does?

Also, Future is acrylic, and when there is any tiny bit of an acrylic paint of any kind that isn't completely "gassed out", it simply dissolves it. Like pouring hot water on ice. It can take over a week as mentioned above, for Molotov and other acrylic paint pens to completely cure. Acrylic lacquer bottle paints have a lot more solvent in them and they dry very quickly. Enamels and other types of acrylic paints are thick, and evaporation ("gassing out") takes forever.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:59 pm

Well I guess we are lucky to have this forum, so there is a trail and error for things like this
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:39 pm

You said a mouthful. I couldn't begin to count all the times I was prevented from doing a really bad idea I had. And think of all the times somebody saved you a bunch by researching deals online. I've seen two times items listed at $17 that I got for $5 because somebody posted it. They happened years apart.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:08 pm

And I meant " trial " not trail
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Paint Booth