[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Getting Started in Slot Cars - Scalextric ARC ONE

Getting Started in Slot Cars - Scalextric ARC ONE

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Getting Started in Slot Cars - Scalextric ARC ONE

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:57 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Getting Started in Slot Cars - Scalextric ARC ONE

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:02 am

Good review Harry. It was Scalextics and the ARC air that got me back into slot cars.

I have since moved on to Carrera digital, but the fun that pit stops and race management bring to analog was not lost on me. That is why I used digital chips to supply power to each lane when running analog. It allows all the Carrera digital race management features to my analog racing.

Not sure it is enough to save this hobby, but to get the interest of the new generation, the connection to an IPad is almost a requirement I think.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DaveKennedy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:33 pm

The hobby isn't in peril...
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby glasshorsevh » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:49 pm

I have a Scalextric Track and added an Arc One some time ago, but had a lot of trouble with cars not registering laps. This happened even with cars using black or blacked-out guide flags. Most of the cars having issues were my scratch-builds, but the actual Scalextric cars were fine. It works best if your track is in one of the Scalextric “out of the box” layouts, but you lose some of the “game” features if you have a custom layout like my 38’ Ascari style track (as mentioned in Robert Schleicher's Book). I also would have liked more statistical reporting and some form of archival interface that worked. There is some of that, but it’s pretty sketchy. I will also tell you that Scalextric controllers are abysmal and I modified it to use my beloved PM controllers, which limited more “gaming” features. It would still do pit stops for fuel and the general racing stuff. I thought it had a lot of merit if only it worked a bit better with non RTR cars. It really is a great idea and I actually swapped to an iPad because of it. I may snap it back in and work with it some more at some time.

Val
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks Dan. Yeah, it does not need saving. People have thought this for many years but it keeps going. When one company folds another appears. And grass roots 3D among other things keep us going.

You said yourself it was this tech that got you back. You are not alone :)

It is not the most popular hobby and not what it once was. Same can be said for others. Seen a lot of commercials so far on the old TV, none are model railroading, RC ,or slot cars.

But we will always have our following. New folks do join everyday. Veterans come back. In fact, people at this time of year come DO BACK. For many it's seasonal. Like my "hobby" of cutting grass :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby BRS Hobbies » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:01 pm

Val,

The guide depth is a big factor with Scalextric lap counting. It may be worth checking your guide depth on your scratch builds to see if that is the issue with the missed laps. Ideally, the guide blade rides just a hair off the bottom of the slot. It is also helps to put the start/finish track were the cars are slowing down like near the end of the straightaway. The guide blade will stay in the slot more consistently when the cars are slowing down as opposed to when the cars are accelerating.

What is it that you don't like about the Scalextric ARC controllers?

Best regards,
Brian
Last edited by BRS Hobbies on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:12 pm

I have not had an issue with any of the cars tested. I used one of my Sportsman Brass cars and it worked flawless? Never missed a lap.

The app isn't perfect and won't do everything everyone expects it to. But for a simple race set it WORKED with the cars. And other cars like Carrera that I tested. So I am very happy with it as an out of the box simple race app. And anyone who gets it this year should have the same fun we had?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:18 pm

The controllers compared to after-market is no contest. Yes they are no where NEAR a good quality controller.

The controllers compared to OTHER SET controllers is.

We raced for hours and they functioned. Very well. This is a simple set, not my wood track. I don't expect them to work like a $$$$ controller.

But they worked better than most. And the speed limiter is a great option if you have young ones/newcomers.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ourwayband » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:25 pm

Cool review Harry..
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:47 pm

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RvE » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:55 am

I have been using the Scalextric ARC One app since last year, and its a great addition to any analog Scaley track. The timing and pit stop features really enhance the racing and make a home track much more fun. I have disabled the power feed to the ARC ONE base and use my regular track power base with my after market Professor Motor controllers. This modification is easy to do - its just a matter of unplugging the power wires within the ARC One base station.
There used to be a thread on this modification on the Scalextric forums that shows exactly how to do this.
Cheers RvE
RvE

Postby Fitzy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:29 pm

I Have the American Classics set also I was just really curious to use the ARC app gotta tell you it really is a great we have a lot of fun with it and even tho we race on a Carrera Digital Track we have a big field of Scalextric Trans Am Cars they are a blast to run nothing like American Muscle battling for position!!
Fitzy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Product Reviews!