[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - BARC Lotus 30

BARC Lotus 30

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

BARC Lotus 30

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:47 pm

I have been working on my Lotus 30 in BARC colors. The chassis I just completed was done with this shell in mind. The earlier thread on this chassis has disappeared. It has some torque control feature, dampening the effect of shifting weight from the front wheels and guide on acceleration.

Looks like I have some room to widen the rear track, and still keep the tires under the fender.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: BARC Lotus 30

Postby clivearmstrong74 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:56 pm

Super job, Dan!!!
Will there be copy rights on your chassis build...? I just luv it!! Have to try it out...

Cheers
Clive
CARacing
clivearmstrong74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby CJR » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:10 am

Great work!
CJR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:52 am

Thanks.

Re Chassis

This is the second chassis I have built using a torque dampening design. The hinged pod is effective in eliminating the reactive effect from the motor. The motor in this car is pretty tame and the weight of the hinged assembly itself is enough counter balance the torque and the additional spring is not really required. This surprised me, but I designed it to have the spring adjustment, so I put it in anyway. It may come in to use with a higher grunt motor. If nothing else it can be tightened to eliminate any play in the pod at all.

My chassis soldering skills are getting better with each chassis, and it is fun to experiment with different ideas. If I have done something you like, of course copy it, that is what these forums are all about.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:00 pm

I like the overall impression very much.

But why do you put the carburettor intakes in second place and keep them as they are - white plastic tubings ? It's not the first time I see and regret that.

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi Roland

Basic reason for the white tubing is that I have nothing else at my disposal right now. Aluminum would look better, but I live in a small community and we have no hobby shops, Ideally I would like to have some small diameter aluminum tube to use. Next time I am in the big city, I will pick up some aluminum tube. Of course I could just spray paint the styrene ones as well for a better look. I think I saw some intakes painted flat white in a photo somewhere so I thought there existed a prototype of this.

Good news is that I am not finished with this yet. I take pictures and then I see things that need improving and I go back and fix them. The exhaust is another area that would look better in aluminum.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:09 pm

Nice work Barc and again I like your 'outside the box' approach. Have you tried running it without the spring and the nut loose or would it 'chatter' too much?
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:53 pm

Yes I have and even without the spring it is quiet. I just soldered up another chassis , and this one has no spring. The pod just floats and counter balances itself.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby taskak » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:07 am

taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:39 am

Thanks Aki. Those are very interesting, and I have them on the way.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:11 pm

I took Rolands' advice and painted the intakes. Also found some right size aluminum tubing for the exhaust. Added window attachment rivets around the base of the windscreen

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:30 am

Now it looks much better, Dan.

All in all a really good looking model.

Regards,

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop