[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Vintage racing

Vintage racing

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Vintage racing

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:04 pm

I scratch built three vintage F1 racers, and it was time to take some photo ops of the cars on the track

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Vintage racing

Postby vonsirius » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Love it! :text-bravo:
vonsirius
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby clivearmstrong74 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:55 pm

Dan, AWSOME work!! Well done!!!

Please post pics of the chassis? Bodies, where did they come from?
apologies for all the questions and requests, but your work is outstanding.

Cheers
Clive
CARacing
clivearmstrong74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 pm

I posted details about these in the Scratch builders section. Brass and Lego chassis. The bodies are resin cast ones I made myself. I made up a master using a Scalextics Lotus 49. The tube is kind of generic, and then just scratchbuild the rear housings and modify each shell to better represent the prototype I am modeling. I bought the front axles assemblies( lotus 49) and use the same thing on each build. These cars are all powered by the small Minebea S cans, but they move right along, and are built to race against each other, so having them the same makes it fair.

Here is what the chassis looks like

I fashioned the rear springs out of wire and styrene. The radius arms are made out of elastic thread. They are very forgiving to shocks and this technique works very well for a slot car. You will notice that the inserts on the rear wheels are made from snap fasteners from the fabric store. Since these pictures were taken I have modified these and drilled out the center. The front rims on the Ferrari represent how these look. The BRM is the lastest car I built and each car has gotten slightly better then the last as I developed new techniques.

I want to do a Lotus 33, but right now I started work on a Ferrari 350 Can Am car. Just made a mold of the master, so I can now cast some Ferrari Can Am cars. They weren't successful on the track but they sure looked pretty.

Thanks for the comments
Last edited by BARC 1 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:48 pm

Was going to use these cars to do up a grouping of vintage racing art to hang in the slot room

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bill from nh » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:09 am

Dan, all three F1 cars are beauties! If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the Honda. There are fewer of them around than slot cars of the BRM & Ferrari. I'll be watching for your Can-Am build.:)
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:14 am

Bravo. Great effort and field.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby David C » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:34 am

Great looking cars; wish there was a way to cram a Carrera chip into one of those beauties-love the suspension work you've done.
David C

Postby btaylor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:02 am

Awesome builds Dan! I love the old formula cars, and you have done them proud! Keep em coming.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby mattb » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:20 am

Very nice, great detail work for 1/32!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 73emgee » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:52 am

Well done Sir!!
73emgee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:26 pm

Thanks guys. There will be more.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby glasshorsevh » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Wonderful job Dan! Sorry you didn't make the CGP 1967 series with one of these...

Val
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Yes, I really wanted to get into that proxy, but never having built a car like this I wasn't sure I could pull it off. Next time I will be ready as I have gained some new experience with these tiny racers

Not up to the caliber of the masters but they look the part.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby CJR » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:07 am

Impressive. Well done.
CJR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale