Bracing for Irma

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Bracing for Irma

Postby btaylor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:29 am

Spent most of this morning getting up anything in the yard that could fly. We are predicted to have 45-65 MPH Winds as early as tonight, and tropical storm force Monday.. that's not counting any Tornado activity that decides to pop up from this mess. Middle GA is in the northeast quadrant of the Hurricanes path, so we will get the rain and wind from the bands. I am on high ground, so flooding isn't an issue, but not so sure about the tin roof on my barn! might be some racin in the rain! :lol: Hope anyone in the path of this mess stays safe. we are inundated with Floridians in my town. all motel rooms are full, and they say there are about 1000 rooms in Perry. No gas to speak of left in town, very little staples either. We are well stocked, so not worried. My oldest Daughter could not get out of Miami soon enough, so is riding it out with both grandkids, and Hubby. so far they are safe as well. I will check in as power and signal permits, ya'all have a safe Sunday!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: Bracing for Irma

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:39 am

I'll keep track and prob bother you.

Hang in there young man!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:48 am

The Captain and his wife left Patrick AFB on Friday and are riding it out in Gainesville with friends. They have full tanks of gas and food and are in a real house that is in an elevated area of town so hopefully they are safe.

Wendy's brother has her mom with him at his house in Tampa (Parrish) - it is not going to be pretty. My half-sister is on the east coast and did her normal "we aren't going anywhere cuz these are never bad" spiel. Sadly, (not that I would ever wish her harm) they are actually going to be missed again. I just don't understand that mentality at all.

The issue will be the flooding and loss of power as usual.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby btaylor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:53 am

Hope your kin stay safe down there! My son in law is military as well, and they didnt release them till thursday. By that time, it was 24 hrs to get to tampa! Roads were at a standstill. Their choice to stay was not much of a choice, but circumstances
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:16 am

Bob,
Good luck to you and all who are facing this storm. For those in the west facing wildfires, the same goes to you. This has been a very wild past month.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:41 pm

My wife, her daughter & her sister arrived in Gulf Shores Alabama yesterday. They decided they were going for a few days,
"come hell or high water".....so to speak. My buddy said "I wouldn't let her go!" Any of you out there ever tried
that line on you wife??
So far she says the weather is pretty good, waves are kinda' high, but the sea shells are still on the beach,
gas is $2.47 & there are reasonable hotels rooms to be had. What can I say.

....................The rest of you stay safe.....................
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:00 pm

I think my daughter and here family are getting the lawn chairs and shrimp out in preparation for the storm should it go through Mitchell like my buddies and I did when I was stationed at England AFB, just outside of Alexandria, LA. We called it a Hurricane Watch. So much for the jokes. play it safe there, and protect the tracks, slot cars, and family. I'd miss your posts if you didn't play it safe.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Kemtronracer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:35 pm

We wish you the best of luck, Bob. Storms like this are no fun. We're getting some of it Monday night ourselves.
Kemtronracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:06 pm

Bob, when I was a boy on the Gulf Coast, we went through a lot of hurricanes. The first I remember was Betty, that destroyed all the sugar cane from west of New Orleans to west of Houston wrecking Sugarland, TX, but the killer was Camille, and it was incredible, but it was unimaginably even worse with Rita, many years later.

This is what I learned... Its always, always, worse than you think. As soon as it clears,l start looking for wet spots, because nasty, dangerous molds grow everywhere. Get all the Chlorox you can find and go around dumping it on anything wet, especially sheet rock (dry wall). And look at the trees near your house, pal. Trust the pines, cut the hardwoods.

My oldest boy, as you know, is in Athens and he has gathered his most precious and evacuated to a friend's place, just in case.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby strangebrew » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:50 am

Camille !!!! Brings back memories....I had to do "Master at Arms" duty in a 2 story wooden barracks
at Corey Field, Pensacola that night......Luckily it went towards Mobile............but I shudder to
think if it hadn't.
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:12 am

The block just lost power. A 100 year old oak fell at my Daughters house and blocked the street. We have 60 MPH winds right now, not pretty! I am at work keeping all this junk running so we can clear the streets. Power keeps flickering here too, so may have to power up the Gens. They say it will peak for us about 2:00 pm. so not much longer to ride it out.
I'll keep ya posted!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:40 am

Be safe guys!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:14 pm

My boy in Athens says that a big tree blew down and not only blocked their street, it knocked out power for the whole area. They parked and walked in to check on things before going back to where they evacuated for tonight. They hope to go back tomorrow and clean up. The neighborhood is a real mess.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge