Chipping the Scaley Vintage F1

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Chipping the Scaley Vintage F1

Postby btaylor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:57 pm

I have been wanting to do this for a while now. My favorite cars to run are the early Grand prix f1 types. Since I put together this SSD track with that in mind, I thought I better get a move on. To say there is no room in these cars would be an understatement! with full driver figure, and limited space over the front mounted motor, they just don't offer a lot of options. Of course I started with the smallest Scaley universal chip available, and plunged right in. The picture will show more than I can explain on the fit, but there is a few things I should mention. After disassembling the car, I found the only obvious choice was to mount the chip alongside the drive shaft. No big problem there, but needed to remove one of the driver mounting posts. Not a problem, as I also had to remove some of the right leg and seat area to gain clearance. Again, no problem. The dremel made fast work of both pieces, and soon enough I had room for the chip. next up was clearance for all the wires and led sensor. Scaley didn't intend on these cars being digitized, so this is where the fun began. The front axle removed, there is a small hole at the front of the motor behind the guide. It can be opened up to fit the sensor using a 9/32 bit. Ok, that fit nice, now I have to cut off the dumb end of the motor shaft flush with the case, or it wont clear the sensor. Again, no problem, dremel and cut off disc. At that point , I turned to the motor wires, easy peasy, off with old, on with the new. Now to the guide? hmmm, I like the quick change brushes for now, so I cut the guide wires about a 1/4" away from the guide, and soldered the remaining leads (yellow and green) to them. Time for picture....
I shortened the lead wires to get rid of the bundle going under the hood, and forgot to put heat shrink on them. I used a dab of hot glue to keep them from shorting for a test run, i'll fix that later. I have four scaley legend of the grand prix cars, and they all chipped about the same. minor differences that are easily altered, mainly on the Vanwall. All in all, not a bad job, and anyone could do this with modest tools. but I thought I would share if it will help folks. Next up will be my Cartrix F1 cars!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: Chipping the Scaley Vintage F1

Postby Half Fast Slotter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Congrats. How fun to have a new fleet of digital cars. I wish the Carrera chips were small enough for these cars. I read an article a while back where someone cut up the carrera chip and made it work on a Scaley Lotus 49. Too much electronic wizardry for my talents. Enjoy!!
Half Fast Slotter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:18 pm

Nice Job Bob!
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:03 am

Great job Bob and thanks for sharing this.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:42 am

That is some TIGHT confines you are working in Bob! WOW!
Those have to make for good fun to race though!
:text-bravo:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Return to Digital Racing