Problem tuning a Fly.

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Problem tuning a Fly.

Postby downtowndeco » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:07 pm

Pretty rank amature here as far as tuning these cars. Here's my problem. My 917 vibrates, bounces and shakes so bad going around fast corners it sometimes deslots. No mag, weight added. I have replaced the front axle, the guide & the rear tires (silicones). Trimmed the flash off the original wheels and trued them. Trued the rear tires. Added spacers so there isn't much slop in the axles. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.
downtowndeco
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Problem tuning a Fly.

Postby Mitch58 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:20 pm

It probably has the same problem as my 908. Glue a piece of piano wire lengthwise on each side of the chassis from the motor towards the front. Too much flex in the chassis. Hot glue will work. Also make sure your axle bushings are not spinning in the chassis.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby docdoom » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:34 pm

true the front also. you still running the stock running gear? if so you might want to try the taking the slop out of the rear bushing with the old super glue trick. just a little foot note on this. oil the bushing axle area and then slowly start adding the super glue to the axle bushings with the wheels turning from power and do not let them stop till the glue has dryed 100%. you are taking up the axle bushing play. also do not try this if you do not feel 100% in your self doing this. you get it wrong kiss that axle bye bye.
docdoom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:10 am

Also you could try gluing the pod to the chassis and running with the front 2 screws and rear screw and leave the rear side 2 out. I have 3 917's and a 908/2 and they're all good runners set up this way.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:24 am

All this and more has been done to a point that it is an exact science, and its easy as well as very rewarding. Look in the HRW Archives for an excellent pictorial article called, "Fix That Fly"by Slotpoor. You'll never find a better guide. There's a lot more speed and handling tips in the article. Urethane tires were not available at the time (I recommend them for Fly cars), otherwise, its a rulebook for how to really enjoy the cars.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby downtowndeco » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:44 am

I tried something I should have in the beginning, which is to loosen all of the body mount screws. That made a huge difference. I think that when they were tight it was distorting the chassis a bit, which amplified any imperfections the car might have had. Thanks to all for chiming in though, I appreciate the help.
downtowndeco
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mitch58 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:20 pm

Yeah, there is always that. Loosening the screws.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:31 am

if your motor aint glued in, if your bearings aint glued in, if the pod aint glued to the chassis, if your tires arent glued and trued, if if if ....
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:21 am

What purpose does it serve to glue the pod to the chassis? It defeats the handling provided by the pod. In the hundreds of Fly cars I have, none of the pods ever failed. Its true that they have to be adjusted to run right, though. Trial and error mostly, but generally just loosen enough to allow the pod to twist a little. I bought a bagful of the pods alone and have been using them in scratchbuilt chassis forever. That successful VW for the Hillclimb Proxy had one in it.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby munter » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:00 pm

Gluing the pod gives you a one piece chassis rather than something else. Once the chassis is one piece you can set up the body to float.

Years ago I bought a lightly used 908/3. It was lovely looking but had terrible performance. Truing Fly tires can bring tears to your eyes. I wrestled that car into a decent runner over a couple of years as I learned what helps and what doesnt. Having a true axle, rim, gear, tire assembly sure makes a difference.

Then more recently I bought a GT40 kit and built it with my acquired wisdom of Fly. I only changed the rear tires. The car is smooth quiet and enjoyable.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:04 pm

Well, I'm glad that works for you. I never heard of anyone doing that before. My Fly cars with pods run great, and I throw away the Fly rears first thing. Some people have had them melt when stored. That hasn't happened to me (on the front tires that I keep), though.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby FootScoot » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:53 pm

I bought the Falcon Slot (Fly) 908/3 turbo Porsche a while back. It's the same problem as always. Out of round tires, wonky wheels, wires pinched, etc. I have tuned it. I too have made the pod and chassis one. They just seem to run better that way, at least for me.
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby downtowndeco » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm sure it has be discussed to death but it's just a darn shame the cars don't run a bit better right out of the box, the bodies are all so nice.
downtowndeco
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:15 pm

Yep, the bodies are the good part of Fly cars. The chassis is so so, the wheels, axles and tires leave something to be desired. I usually just replace all those parts. Some have got them and they require very little tuning, but those are few and far between.
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:10 pm

I never had a Fly or a GB Track car that needed major work. Not once. More often than not, there are some hilarious antics from them right from the box, but nothing even close to a major fault. As I said before, go read the post "Fix that Fly" by Slotpoor on HRW. If you want to see cars that are useless without spending big money to fix them, buy a Le Mans Miniature. Expensive beyond reason to start with, then- they don't run.

I'd choose Fly over a number of RTR cars available today, for the money and for the quality. But Fly is gone. Don't think for a minute that these very expensive cars that are coming out now are the old Fly reborn. When something that is an acceptable expense doubles in price, it becomes half as acceptable. That goes for these twits on Ebay who want $100 for a $30 car, just because its a few years old. If it wasn't for twits who would pay that, falling for the "collectible, rare" fraudulent label, we could still have loads of the cars in trade all over the world, because the price wouldn't have been inflated, encouraging pointless hoarding.

There. Sermon ended. Benedictus.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale