Urethane tire tuning for RAA proxy

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Urethane tire tuning for RAA proxy

Postby Brumos RSR » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:29 pm

Putting together an out the box with a motor change NSR 997 in the anglewinder position last minute for the Race Across America. Currently, on glued and trued urethane tires the car slides on my plastic track, while a set of unglued and not trued tires grip better out of the corners with a hint of chatter. I assume it's due to the tire rolling and it's picking up grip without being glued. My questions are:
1) Which may perform better on wood?
2) Do I NOT glue but true, and see how it performs as the proxy unfolds?
3) Add weight higher up in the body with the glued and trued tires that slide on my plastic track and assume more traction will be available on a wood track?
4) glue the outside of the tire and let the inside roll and pray?
5) Send a "stock" NSR Mosler (yeah right) and plead the 5th?
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Urethane tire tuning for RAA proxy

Postby redlynr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:18 am

Glued and trued, then keep sanding down to like 2000 grit... Urethanes need to be polished to get their grip back after truing.
redlynr
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:32 am

Yup, what Steve says.

The difference that you're noticing between the unglued and untrued stock urethane tires and those that you've glued and trued is likely largely, due to the fact that the contact patch on your glued and trued tires is not smooth enough to get the grip level back up to what you get with the stock tires right out of the bag (which are very smooth and sticky). This happens on plastic track a lot; especially Carrera plastic track. It also happens on routed wood tracks.

But, with the wear that occurs on most urethane tires, the contact patch will become "re-sanded" after a few laps on the track anyway. Regardless, start with the best contact patch prep that you can get and then go from there. Don't forget to prep that edges of your tires, they're just as important a part of your contact patch as the flat part; probably more important since it's cornering grip that you're struggling with............

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:23 am

My club, Shoreline Model Raceways, has hosted a lot of proxy races. Usually the tires are glued and trued, however on wood tracks it was obvious that some of the tires were not really running true because of the noise that the tires will make. On wood tracks there is a distinct drumming sound, which would be masked on plastic tracks. If you want to get your tires perfectly true you have to use a machine of some sort, but if your technique is not good your tires will not be true. A common mistake that people make is to grind the tires using too much pressure, if you do that the tire will be compressed and you will simply reduce the diameter. You need to grind the tires with minimal pressure so that the high spots will gradually be removed. Once the tires are ground they will need to be polished to get a smooth finish, I have never had much luck using sandpaper. I have a skid pad made up of Ninco track and I run a car around that in alternate directions until the tires are smooth. It usually takes about two hours of running time to finish the job.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:30 am

OK gentlemen thank you we will glue, true and polish. This is the widest uerathane tire I've ever used for a proxy so this will become an educational experience
Last edited by Brumos RSR on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mitch58 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:27 pm

Just have fun with it. This comes from a solid mid pack proxy participant. Actually I'm doing fairly well in the IPS and Carrera Americana, which offsets my cars in the Trans Am proxy, and I hate to even mention the NASCAR, but I had never set up a car for an oval track. But it's all about learning and having fun, Right?

BTW the sanding down to 2000 grit, he's right on there, huge improvement.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:34 pm

Got me done to the best of my ability, glued, trued and polished. Better cornering and no chatter thanks again.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale