5) Pepsi62 - #42 Cuda (35 pts)
6) Tusco Todd - #1 Camaro (34.5 pts)
7) CJR - #1J Javelin (34.5 pts) *
8) Hksk25 - #19 Camaro (34 pts) *
9) RMS racing - #2 Mustang (33.5 pts) *
10) CARacing - #8 Firebird (30 pts)
11) TL racing - #41 Cougar (29.5 pts)
12) Arroldn - #77 Challenger (28.5 pts)

Starting grid for race #6: 1) Arroldn, 2) TL racing, 3) CARacing, 4) RMS racing, 5) Hksk25, 6) CJR, 7) Tusco Todd, 8) Pepsi62, 9) Artus, 10) Chappy, 11) Vonsirius, 12) BARC1

As the cars lined up for race 6 there was a lot of concern about the smooth running #1J Javelin of CJR starting in 6th place, ahead of many of the other favorites. But, surprises were in store as the field took the green flag and began 40 laps of heated competition.

For the first seven laps of the race things remained pretty much the same, but some cars were moving in on those ahead of them and looking for ways to move forward. The RMS racing Mustang and Hksk25 Camaro got by CARacing’s Firebird putting them in 3rd & 4th places respectively. Then, on laps 8 and 9 the Cuda of Pepsi62 passed Tusco Todd for 7th and CJR for 6th. This was unexpected since CJR’s Javelin was a feared competitor and while the Cuda had shown flashes of speed it had not put together a solid run.

As lap 15 was concluded, Pepsi62’s Cuda was in 4th place chasing Arroldn, TL racing, and RMS racing which held down the top 3 spots respectively. By lap 20 Pepsi62 was in 3rd place and having an amazing outing. The Cuda passed TL racing’s Cougar on lap 21 and then Arroldn’s Challenger on lap 24 for the lead. Turning is some of the fastest laps of the series, the Cuda of Pepsi62 opened up a large lead and was on the way to the win. RMS racing got his Mustang up to 2nd place but it was too little too late.

Pepsi62’s Cuda started the series as a bit of an underdog, seemingly lacking the pure speed exhibited by cars that were more successful early on. But, the Cuda handled superbly in this race and was driven with abandon without losing any time due to racing incidents. A pit reporter remarked that CJR drove the Cuda as though it belonged to his ex-wife’s mother.

The finishing order for race #6 was: 1) Pepsi62, 2) RMS racing, 3) TL racing, 4) Hksk25, 5) CARacing, 6) Arroldn, 7) CJR, 8) Artus, 9) Chappy, 10) Vonsirius, 11) BARC1, 12) Tusco Todd

Points standings after race # 6: (pts) * = race wins
1) Pepsi62 - #42 Cuda (50 pts) *
2) RMS racing - #2 Mustang (45.5 pts) *
3) Hksk25 - #19 Camaro (43 pts) *
4) Chappy - #28 Mustang (42 pts) * *
5) Vonsirius - #13 Camaro (41.5 pts) * *
6) CJR - #1J Javelin (40.5 pts) *
7) Artus - #40 Camaro (40.5 pts)
8) BARC1 - #22 Mustang (40.5 pts)
9) TL racing - #41 Cougar (39.5 pts)
10) CARacing - #8 Firebird (38 pts)
11) Arroldn - #77 Challenger (35.5 pts)
12) Tusco Todd - #1 Camaro (35.5 pts)

NOTE: Ties in point standings are broken using highest finish in most recent race.

While the Cuda of Pepsi62 now has a 4.5 points lead over RMS racing's Mustang in 2nd place, only 2.5 points separate the cars in 3rd thru 8th place in the points standings.

The stage is now set for a final showdown in race #7 which will be 40 laps in length to determine the series champion.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: Re: Solo racing - Trans Am Challenge, Race #6

Postby arroldn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:09 am

Wow did I make a mistake in switching to the Challenger or what? LOL
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:42 am

The #77 Challenger has a new motor - I swapped chassis with a white kit I had to do a replica of the team car #76 driven by Tony Adamowicz, and it has been much harder to pass. But the run by the Cuda in race #6 was insane. The car just felt so stable that I pushed it really hard and it stayed on the track. I think the SCX Cuda has the widest track of any Trans Am car I have, and with PG tires it's able to make up for having a bit less top end in the corners.

The Challenger can be a real spoiler in the final race. I think the cars from mid-pack will be coming, but their not all going to get to the front.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby texasleaguer » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:32 pm

Wow, closing the TL Racing shop doors and letting the local lube/tire shop do our work has it's benefits. I just hope they don't catch on to the forged coupons. For the last race, TL Racing win throw caution to the wind and fill the gas tank in the tow rig and put new/used tires on the trailer.
Good luck to all competitors.
texasleaguer

Re: Solo racing - Trans Am Challenge, Race #6

Postby Pepsi62 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:01 pm

Go you good thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
whoo hooooo a win and the overall lead to boot
so proud of the mighty SCX Cuda, very underated cars
bring on the last round

Team Cuda Australia
Pepsi62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:34 pm

Well the little Mustang has continued to slide.
Time we made some changes to remain in contention.
So first up is new racing boots and a paint job on the helmet.
Have to catch that cursed Cuda. He running like the devil is on his tail, and my long time nemesis Harry is only 1 point ahead right now. Definitely need to keep him in sight
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:35 pm

BARC Racing headquarters

"Winter is coming for a few if this team doesn't pull this out of the fire"

We needed a better result and came up with next to nothing. Not happy.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:54 pm

With the final race of the series pending, I decided to consider the possible outcomes and final results. I set up a spreadsheet to randomly assign cars to finishing positions and see what the likely outcomes were. In 100 trials, the #42 Cuda of Pepsi62 held onto the points lead and won the championship 59 times, with the #13 Camaro of Vonsirius claiming the championship 13 times. No other car won the championship more than 5 times in the 100 random trials.

Of course, the best way to see what the absolute odds are for all possible outcomes for race #7 is to consider each one - all 479 million of them. Yes, there are 479,001,600 unique ways 12 cars can finish a race. For any of 12 cars that could win that leaves any of 11 cars that could finish 2nd, any of 10 cars that could finish 3rd, and so on. It's easier to say someone should have thought about all possible outcomes for things than it actually is to do it.

That said I'm working on plans for a program to loop through all possible race #7 and final points outcomes, just for the heck of it. I'm a data nerd and it will be no fun to do after actually running the race.

How many unique finish order outcomes are there for the Indy 500 with 33 cars? Slightly more than 8 followed by 36 zeros. Of course in reality, not all outcomes are equally likely, but that's an entirely different level of complexity.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby hksk25 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:28 pm

No need to worry Bob, my Camaro is a front runner. Doesn't perform well when starting near back. Talked to my driver and explained to him he's out of a job if he doesn't pass that Mustang in front of him. (a well placed bumper would be ok with me, lol) I'm so confident he won't, I've already put feelers out to see if Dale Jr is interested in driving for me next time!!

Harry
hksk25
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:47 pm

Harry - your Camaro's gonna be the meat in a Mustang sandwich. And CJR's Javelin is going to be the meat in a Camaro sandwich.

Let's see who eats who.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Pepsi62 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:06 am

interesting concept that I'm liking. Of course reality is a much different thing, bring it on
Pepsi62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vonsirius » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:47 pm

Sorry for my lack of response, I was very busy due to job and I was not following the series as it deserves,

Here at Vonsirius Racing we will figth to the end to win the series.
Congratulations to the podium drivers!
vonsirius
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:33 am

The nerd part of me is still toying with computing the probable outcomes of the last race and series, just for the heck of it. But, I will run the last race this weekend and post the results on Sunday or Monday.

This has been a lot of fun to do and well worth the time. It's great to have a project at home you look forward to getting back to work on all day while at work.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale