[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Plymouth Valiant - Finished 9/5

Plymouth Valiant - Finished 9/5

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Postby dge467 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:16 pm

This is a old Premier model kit that I picked up as a built model. After stripping off a beautiful heavily brushed on paint job :roll: , it revealed a equally nice marble plastic finish! :lol:

I mounted it on a Monogram stock car chassis. I will probably use the stock car interior too. I will have to make the windows as these kits don't come with any glass. I haven't decided on the paint yet. The kit body is a little larger then 1/32, but smaller then 1/25 as compared to the old SMP kit. I am going to use either a H&RJack Rabbit motor or a Slot Car Corner Tuna motor. More updates to come.

Last edited by dge467 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dge467
The King of Foil

Re: Plymouth Valiant

Postby Dundee Denny » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:41 pm

Super unique build you have there!!!

Look forward to your "added touch" to this Plymouth.

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:27 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby glasshorsevh » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:12 pm

I absolutely loved my '62 Valiant station wagon! It was the first car I ever owned (white with a blue interior). I did everything I wanted it to... good on gas, and you could haul half my bands sound equipment. Someone was able to convince me it wasn't cool, so I traded it in for a '69 Monterey.. really dumb move!

Anyway, really great car to have in any scale... or any year for that matter. I also had a '74 that again was the best daily driver while my beloved '68 notch-back Barracuda was waiting out New England winters.

Wonderful build!

Val
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bill from nh » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:34 pm

I learned to drive on a '62 Valiant sedan, 3-speed on the floor. When my parents were done with the car, they sold it to one of my friends for $200. He used it two years for commuting back & forth to school as well as for teasing the local police. :lol:

w
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:47 pm

What a great project. Very unique.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dge467 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks for looking! The Valiant / Lancers were so weird, that they are cool!

I had unfortunately sold my 1961 Lancer a few years back. It had 66,000 original miles on the little 170 ci slant six! Also a 3 speed on the floor and radio delete.

dge467
The King of Foil

Postby dge467 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:36 pm

This is a crude model kit but if it is the only way to get an early Valiant in this scale, it is good enough for me. It looks great going around the track anyway! :D I could have used body filler on some of the panels,but it usually cracks off after a few bang ups.

Anyway, I painted it with Testor's Wimbledon White and clear coat. Interior is from a Monogram Fairlane stock car. I made the window glass from some clear plastic packaging. Chrome trim is done with chrome foil. I decorated it with some assorted decals. The taillights were made by shaping them out of some 1/25 scale clear red taillights from the scrap box. I ended up using a Slot Car Corner Tuna motor. Some weight was added to the chassis also. This old Valiant runs really well and is a good running mate with the other Valiant I built years ago. Now if I could just find the Dodge Lancer!

A couple of pictures of when they raced them in a "compacts" race at Daytona. They pretty much dominated, finishing in the 1st through 7th spots!

dge467
The King of Foil

Re: Plymouth Valiant - Finished 9/5

Postby Wobble » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:36 pm

That's weird in a cool way ... or cool in a weird way. Whatever, I like it.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mebrown » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:41 pm

That motor looks wrong.
Your car on the other hand looks great. Period correct paint I take it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mebrown

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:54 pm

The Slant 6 always looked wrong to me at first. The first time I saw one, I thought the engine had torqued over and fallen off the motor mounts! I was so young... It became one of my favorite engines over the years.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:58 pm

Just great modeling. Kudos to you for the overall finished work. Your effort on the tailights are commendable.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Mebrown » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:15 pm

Mebrown

Postby Dodgefarmer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:14 am

Fantastic work as usual. Not sure where that intake came from but it certainly is not a stock production piece. The runners appear to be about 8"-10" longer than stock and it has 3 extra venturi. :lol: Somewhere back in the late 50's Chrysler had discovered that the longer intake runner was, the lower down in the rpm range that max torque was achieved.

Randy
Last edited by Dodgefarmer on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bdsharp » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:14 am

The "Leaning Tower of Power". The slant-6 was effectively shorter to fit under the hood of the new Valiant.

https://www.allpar.com/slant6.html

That intake looks like a factory Hyper-Pak piece. Clifford Performance also made a lot of speed parts for the slant, including four-barrel intakes.

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/hyper-pak.html
bdsharp
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop