Watkins Glen in Wood

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: Watkins Glen in Wood

Postby dreinecke » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:36 pm

Progress thus far looks great!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby chappyman66 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:01 pm

I am watching with interest. Love The Glen, and I always like watching scale models of real tracks being built.
Great job so far. Don't be afraid of mistakes, bondo fixes anything. ;)
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 73emgee » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:12 pm

chappyman66 wrote:I am watching with interest. Love The Glen, and I always like watching scale models of real tracks being built.

I hope your right, I feel I'm going to need plenty. Any thoughts/recommendations between using Bondo or Durham's Rock Putty for repairs?
73emgee

Postby ShotgunDave » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:33 pm

Personal preference really. I still like Bondo if it's feasible. It dries in minutes and you can sand it away. It also sands easier in my opinion. The only real drawback is the smell. If your track is in the house, it's going to make it smell like a body shop. Durhams has no odor at all. But you have to mix it with water and it takes a lot longer to dry. And just like the name implies, it's rock hard.
ShotgunDave
Connoisseur of Rust

Postby McLiams » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:21 pm

73emgee wrote:
chappyman66 wrote:I am watching with interest. Love The Glen, and I always like watching scale models of real tracks being built.

I hope your right, I feel I'm going to need plenty. Any thoughts/recommendations between using Bondo or Durham's Rock Putty for repairs?

Durham's for simplicity, cost, VOC, smell, and though it takes longer to dry; once it dries it is solid. Bondo dries, but then there is (for want of a better term) a curing period before it is 'workable'.

Have used both, over the years in cabinet and display construction; but Durham's gets my vote.

Mc

P.S. LOVE your project and the way you are going about it. As has been said, The Glen RULES!
McLiams
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:56 pm

Yup, what Dave said.
I do my routing outside, so I prefer bondo for the speed of rework. However Durhams is absolutely rock hard when dried and I have repaired router wobbles with both materials.

Most tracks have some things like that but they disappear when the surface track is painted and finished.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Giddyup » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:02 am

Any progress to show?
Giddyup

Postby 73emgee » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:25 am

I found a problem in my Excel worksheet used to calculate the scaled down turn radius from the original track survey. Had to recut some of the MDF and then Summer projects and life got in the way of track progress. I'm finally ready to start routing the lanes after re-locating some of the racing lines this week. Will be posting some new pictures soon.
73emgee

Postby bobbyraz49 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:42 pm

This is a GREAT post to follow. Thanks !
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 73emgee » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:44 pm

Finally back to working on the track after a long delay. I had to re-cut some of the MDF after finding an error in the Excel worksheet used to scale down the actual turn radius and dimensions from the original track survey. This problem affected all compound radius turns. Before starting again I wanted to make sure the inner and outer lanes would have enough pavement through the racing lines which was a problem during the first attempt. I located the desired racing line, which is always a compromise trying to fit 3 lanes into the track width. I had already decided not to use squeeze sections which would have helped but I opted not to use them. Using the flexible fence and a round pencil turned down to fit in the router collet I marked all lanes before routing. This allowed me to see the location of all 3 lanes and make any adjustments before routing.

ImageWP_20170731_007 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

ImageWP_20170731_010 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

Adjusting locations
ImageWP_20170801_017 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

Once I was satisfied with the slot locations I had to reposition some of the joint screws

ImageWP_20170801_001 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

Setting up the flexible fence on the outer lane position so I can rout the center lane slot. This slot will be used to rout the outer and inner lanes using a 1/8" flexible fence in the center slot.
ImageWP_20170801_009 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

The dust port on the router which is attached to my shop vacuum does a good job of keeping the MDF dust to a minimum.
ImageWP_20170801_012 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

I will continuing routing the center slot around the entire track 8 feet at a time (length of the flexible fence) then go back and rout the inner and outer slots.
73emgee

Postby Aloha » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:22 am

73emgee
Could you please share a picture of how you did the joints from underneath
Thank you
Aloha
Dale
Aloha
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 73emgee » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:14 am

Aloha wrote:73emgee
Could you please share a picture of how you did the joints from underneath
Thank you
Aloha
Dale

Here are some pics of the joint. I used a template and spring loaded center punch to locate the holes for drilling. The extra holes in center is to allow offsetting the screws when trying to anticipate were the center lane slot would be located.

ImageWP_20170802_005 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

This a picture from underneath the joint. It's just some scrap MDF cut a little shorter then the track width, I used fender washers and nuts to secure the joint.

ImageWP_20170802_003 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />
73emgee

Postby Z-carfan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:29 am

That jig is an excellent idea, good stuff!!
Mike

"When you’re back there with the squirrels, you’re bound to get your nuts cracked." - Graham Rahal
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:23 pm

Really nice work. I love the detail on the table.

Mine? I figure I'll be tearing it up in a few years again when I move, so I'm not quite so slick ;)

Can't wait to see this thing running!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby 73emgee » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:58 am

Thanks David, been following your track builds for a while, they are a great resource for a first time builder like myself. Hope to experiment with your track painting method once I get all the lanes routed and braid gains completed. Having a realistic looking track surface is important to me. Really like the look achieved on the tracks built by SlotMods, any idea of the methods they use to paint their tracks?
73emgee

PreviousNext

Return to The Lumber Yard