[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Molotow "Chrome"...and..CG 3 ear knock offs

Molotow "Chrome"...and..CG 3 ear knock offs

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Molotow "Chrome"...and..CG 3 ear knock offs

Postby chrisguyw » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi Folks, This thread could slot into a couple of categories here, but, reviews, is where it seems most appropriate.......mods, feel free to reposition.

Anyway, I am building a Lotus 33 (modifying a Monogram Lotus 25) for an upcoming proxy, and I was really struggling with getting the proper inserts....the lotus 33 has a 6 spoke center section with 3 prong knockoffs, and while I did manage to find some accurate center sections in my BWA/DART insert stash, they do not have any knockoffs........I could use some Fly/Ninco/PP etc. knockoffs, but all were either too large/too small/not accurate.......so......I started to look, and discovered the CGKOO2 3 ear knockoffs at SCC Canada.
These are about as close as I will come, and very nicely made...recommended :clap: ...thanks CG!!.....they also do a 2 ear version.

A while ago I bought a few of the Molotow "Liquid Chrome" marker pens, and was keen to try them out......I used them on the knockoffs, and they were great!!!.....waayyy better than any silver/chrome paint...another recommendation here!! :clap:

A couple of shots of the CG knockoffs, done with the Molotow "chrome"pen.........(the rest of the car is in its very early stages, so no harsh comments, it will look better soon, promise!

Cheers
Chris Walker

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Molotow "Chrome"...and..CG 3 ear knock offs

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:42 pm

I've been experimenting with that chrome pen, too. I've tried it on plastic, wood, rubber, and glass. Its flawless. I don't know what that stuff is, and I can't identify the smell, but everybody- don't ask questions, go buy it. There are at least 30 cars I am going to touch up with this thing.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:04 pm

Nice car. I carved out a BRM as I was wanting to build one of these older GP cars. Does this have "Bear" chassis under it. I have been doing some reading on these 132 cars and it appears as if that is a chassis that is used a lot. So far I have not seen much about this type of car on HRW.

Thanks for sharing
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Very good report as usual sir. I have the pen as well and it's very nice. Really worth the investment if you want that right look.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chrisguyw » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:16 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:00 am

Those knock-offs look sharp with the chrome pen touch!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mitch58 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:19 pm

I'm really liking these pens too. They allow even a poor modeler like me to do a decent looking job.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:48 pm

Wow Chris those wheels look great with the Moltow silver pens on them.
I must hit up Amazon and see what i can get.
What tip size or sizes do you recommend.
Cheers
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby chrisguyw » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:21 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:51 pm

Cheers Chris , thanks for the insight on them.
All the best
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Fathead59 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:12 pm

Those pens are worth it. I have them also. got them for the H&R chassis I got, for their wheels and will be using them for all future projects
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:40 pm

As for the Molotow pens, the ace builders in my Long Island model car club (LIARS) and my own experience tell me two things:
Don't go over what you've already covered, and let it dry at least 12-24 hours for a foolproof finish. I've had great results touching up chrome on HO slot cars and 1/24-25 model car parts.
Let's all enjoy this new "miracle product" in our hobby! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:50 pm

Ernie, I don't have any problems when I double coat, but it needs to dry for a couple days. It seems I get the best results when I put it on thick.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:53 pm

My experience is like Matt's. One thing I'll emphasize. Shake that pen (big one or sharp point) a good minute longer than you think. When you are starting to feel foolish and you're glad no one is looking, that's when you use it. And always keep the cap on when you shake. I was cleaning perfect chrome dots off everything in my shop the time I got so into what I was doing that I didn't put the cap on. Chrome dots on concrete, wood, band saw, drill press, and oh yeah... my shirt.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Modlerbob » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:19 pm

They also sell a pretty good line of colored pens too. I bought a set that the pen is 4mm wide to restripe my lanes.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Product Reviews!