Porsche RS61

For 1/32nd Scale Models

Porsche RS61

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:04 pm

I am building a Porsche RS61 for the upcoming Porsche/Ford Proxy which I started to share over in the proxy forum. I was not entirely happy with the shells that are available so I decided to build my own master. Inspired by Clive I downloaded some plans and set about to carve the body from a block of balsa.

Using my Dremel saw I cut out the profiles using the plan templates as a guide. It was then just a case of rounding the corners and getting the lines looking correct from photos of the prototype.

Added the rear deck

Sealed the wooden master and painted it in primer. Used an exacto knife to scribe in the lines.

Since this picture was taken the master had more paint and polishing and I also made the lines a little more crisp. I enlarged the rear radiator openings as well ( sorry no picture)

I built a Lego mold box and the Silicone was poured this morning. I use Smooth On Oomoo 25. It sets up fairly quickly (6 hours) and works well for me, This master is smooth with no severe undercuts and I should be able to pull a lot of resin shells from it. Should be able to have some pictures posted of the first shells tonight.

I am probably going to build multiple chassis for this project in an effort to build a fast car. The car is small though, and even fitting a 130 style motor is really going to be a chore. I may default to the small cans and just give up on building a fast car, and go for trying to build a show car.

Sorry for the multiple post on the same subject , but I believe the build on the proxy forum would end up pretty dispersed by the time I get this done. I will post the final result over there.

This master has gone a little better then I thought, and I am thinking a Ferrari 250 SWB is on the agenda. This is another body that I love and I have not been able to find, so am thinking I may try carving one myself. However I will stay focused on the RS61 until it is completed
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Porsche RS61

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:55 pm

And then there were more

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:04 am

Looking very good, Dan! :text-bravo:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby loosewheel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:25 pm

I have an old clunky RS61, this makes me envious.
loosewheel
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:57 am

Well I got this finished, and I guess it is the most scratchbuilt I have done to date. Chassis is brass with Twin can Minebea power, leaving me room for a full body and interior. Engraving lines can certainly be improved upon when I look at this through the unforgiving eye of the camera. I cast about a dozen shells, so I am thinking there will be more. I may fill the engraving lines and redo them finer on the next one.

Over all I am happy with scale look of this RS60 car when compared to the real one.

And here it is measured up against a Scalextrics GT 40. It is a small car and the body depth does not leave a lot of room. I don't think you could do a scale version of this using a 130 can. I am going to try and build an inline with a 130 next, and just see how it can be made to fit. The Twin can power is 16 K and about 100gm/cm of torque so is down on power compared to what it will be racing against. An Avant chassis with the orange Long can will do a best lap of 4.4 on my home track. This car will do a 4.6.

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:16 pm

Love it.....you sure did a brave thing re the body production.
What was it about the factory bodies that put you off? too wide? too high? something else?
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:17 pm

Great work on the body production.
What was it about factory bodies that put you off? too high, too wide or??
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:38 pm

The current production ones I have seen did not seem to scale. They just appeared plump. I believe they are made deeper to house the motor i.e. I doubt the body I made will swallow a 130 type motor. Of course all I have seen are Strombecker and Eldon though. If there is a current resin body available I have not seen it. The resin body I have seen I believe is a copy of the Strombecker car.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:10 pm

I agree about them being too chubby.
I was given a lovely old thick lexan body of one and the proportions match your carved piece much more than the Strombecker ones.
I had thought about doing a back pour and remould from it at some stage.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to 1/32 Showcase