Advice for this layout

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Advice for this layout

Postby Josh S » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi all,

I just came up with this layout last night and was hoping for some feedback or advice for the middle section of the track. The front and back straights connected by the wide radius turn one and the hairpin connected to the back straight have to stay, but the middle could probably use a little tweaking. I will openly admit that I am not a very good track designer. Also, the section right before the final turn will fit together because of the flexibility in the trsck. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

This was made using http://softyroyal.de/

Thanks! :D
Josh S
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Advice for this layout

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:29 pm

The only thing I would advise is that you reconsider having so many "wiggles" and tight turns, and add another big sweeper. Also, having the big sweeper at the end of a straight is problematic. Having it just before the straight makes for better racing, for me anyway.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Drewbert34 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:27 am

Isn't the sweeper both before a straight and after a straight?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
Drewbert34
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:15 am

If I were you, I'd have some sort of cross over to make it more of a figure 8. That way the lanes would be a lot closer to equal length's. The thing I've found with digital racing is one lane is usually faster than the other so everyone runs in that lane. When you switch lanes to pass you go into the slower lane and you can't get by the car you are trying to pass.
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DrumPhil » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:46 pm

It looks like it would be fun to drive, but I see a common problem. With all of the wiggly parts in the middle, that is where most of your deslots will occur. That means a lot of reaching across the track to get cars and put them back on track. That is a pain when multiple people are racing.

Also, with so many R3 and R4 curves (and all their borders), this is going to be a little bit expensive to build. You might want to try to build a track with no more than 12 R4 curves, since that it how many come in one box.

If you are concerned about the track having too many straight sections and getting boring, consider adding some elevation changes. Either build some scenery under part of the track or get Carrera's bridge/hump track set and use that to raise up part of the track. It really adds character to a track.
DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Drewbert34 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:16 am

+1 to Carrera's bridge/hump track
Drewbert34
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Josh S » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:47 am

Thanks for the feedback.

Here is the layout I ended up going with,

We will race on this layout for a bit. I wanted to try a good flat layout that was a bit easier to drive than my original, very technical track. Here is the next layout I plan on trying in the next couple months,

Josh S
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Digital Racing