[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Avant modifcations

Avant modifcations

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Avant modifcations

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:21 pm

I modified one of the Avant chassis to fit under a Porsche 917. I am not sure what I think about the highly adjustable front suspension on these chassis, and in this particular case I just removed it when I shortened the chassis.

I replaced it with 2 Technics 1X2 blocks with a 3/16 bore. Inside the bore I added 3/16 X 3/32 bearings and am going with a free wheeling solid front axle.

I built a styrene front bulkhead with a new guide receiver. In this case the bulkhead was glued to the Technics block at the correct height. The next one I will make adjustable by attaching the bulkhead to the Technics blocks with screws . Two slotted guides on the bulkhead will then allow me to easily adjust the guide height to whatever wheel combo I have on the chassis.

Final pictures shows the modifed chassis against an original. I also replaced the nylon bushings with closer tolerance brass ones.

So this bargain priced chassis with some simple modes is the fastest no mag car on my track. All in I have less then $22 into this including the PG tires. The motor is a 21 K long can open frame and it has some magnetic effect and that is one of the reasons it kills the previous lap records on my track. The new front end with the freewheeling axles in bearings makes this a silent runner as well. I am more then happy with how this turned out.

I hope a picture speaks a thousand words because I am done. :D

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Avant modifcations

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Added a Porsche 917 body.

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SpeedyNH » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:39 pm

nice! you really do it.
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:34 pm

Very good job. Your Lego usage is pretty inspiring. I can see that these will be used well as soon as mine show up. Very sweet indeed.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Good job, innovative thinking, outstanding results.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Racie35 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Brutally cool :banana-dance:
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Racie35 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:38 pm

How much float are you allowing the bare chassis pod Barc?
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:52 pm

I don't know how to measure this. There is quite a bit of flex though
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Racie35 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:08 pm

Ok...must be loose as opposed to snug...always seems to work
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:01 am

The proper amount of pod float means different things to different people. It depends on preference. It also depends on the track you are using the car on. There is no good way or bad way, just your way.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:05 am

Last edited by Brumos RSR on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:17 am

Thanks. This is my first experience with a pod in a chassis, and I haven't messed around with it much. I am guessing the whole pod idea is based on the "float" principles.

All I know is that this chassis and motor combo is very strong. However the inherent magnetic traction supplied by this motor is as big of factor as anything else. Maybe the biggest. I have no trouble handling this motor on my track, but I bet on wood this motor would be a lot to handle.

If I added as much magnetic force to my other cars as this motor provides the gap between laptimes would close up. Realistically even with all the magnets pulled this is still a magnet car when run on steel rails.

I stuck a 15 K 130 motor in one of these and the laptimes increased with much more tail wagging observed
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale