[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - cartrix vs scaley f1 legends

cartrix vs scaley f1 legends

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

cartrix vs scaley f1 legends

Postby seal666 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:31 pm

Been having fun running my scaley legends around my little track. Probably have more fun when I put some better tires on ( any suggestions). While at local slot shop saw a couple of cartrix f1s, my wife even likes them. Was wondering how cartrix,scaley match up? Would be open to re motoring down the road. Appreciate your input
seal666

Re: cartrix vs scaley f1 legends

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:39 pm

Well, I have PG tires listed for the Scalextric F1 in all the reviews.

There is likely no contest given the milder motor and drivetrain tuning the Cartrix needs. Very nice cars when tuned, but they need a fair amount of work.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Dangermouse » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:41 am

Which Scalextric cars - the 70s F1 or the early GP cars - Coopers and BRMs and Maserati 250f

The motor in the Cartrix cars vary - some early ones had quite a low RPM motor - then they came out with a motor that ran at approx. 14k RPM - some of newer ones have a higher revving slim can motor - 16K +

The Scalextric legends have 18k rated motors but I find them more like 21k+ - we run mainly Cartrix anyone who wants to run a Scaley legend has to put a milder motor in it

David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby seal666 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:34 am

Should have been more specific. I have the Vanwall and Maserati 250. Over the weekend I might be getting the Ferrari 356. I do run at reduced volts, around 10 to 11. Though a tad pricey there are 2 or 3 cartrix cars I like. So eventually matching motors, tires in a total of 6 or 8 cars over time won't be a major expense.
seal666

Postby Dangermouse » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:28 am

Paul Gage makes some urethanes that will suit those cars.
Running at reduced voltage is the way to go - we run them a 9v -
You will want a milder motor in them to match up with the Cartrix. You will probably find them more driveable as well. The Maserati is front motored which doesn't help either. Search of the web will let you know how to tune the Cartrix - happy to offer any help - but general tip is to fix the front end and glue the motor in....

I really like the Cartrix cars. I have quite a few - which ones are you looking at getting?
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:13 am

Hi Seal666, Do you run your cars with or without magnets??...............If you run with magnets, out of the box the Scaley cars will be quicker due to their more potent motors, but, once the magnets are removed, the cars become much more equal as the rear motored Cartrix cars will handle better than the front motored Scaleys. ( The front motor position in the Scaleys results in an less than ideal weight distribution, and, critically, the vibrations caused by the spring coupler on the Scaley motor shaft cause vibration/gear mesh issues that are largely masked when using a magnet).
The Scaley front motor issues can be significantly improved upon, and, they can be made to run very well indeed sans magnet, but, the rear motor position of the Cartrix cars will ultimately result in a better handling car.

Many clubs run "Historic" GP classes, (most without a magnet, and with a mandated motor) and prepared like this, invariably the Cartrix cars are the most successful. Similarly, there are a few proxies for Cartrix/Scaley GP cars, and again the Cartrix cars are the ones at the front.

So, a lot depends on your chosen preference......magnet/no magnet, let us know, and I am sure you will get lots of feedback/tuning tips.

Cheers
Chris Walker

PS..... lots of urethane/silicone tires are available for these (Scaley/Cartrix) cars, and they will certainly help, particularly when running without magnets.
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby McLiams » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:11 am

As has been said, the Cartrix cars do need some more attention than the Scalextric cars to get the 'best' out of them. That said, I love the Cartrix cars, even at the higher price. The Dan Gurney Porsche is an exception to the 'attention' required. It ran a dream out of the box on Scalextric track at between 10 and 13 VDC.

Mc
McLiams
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby seal666 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:40 am

Currently I run with magnets, but am willing to change. I did plan on picking up new tires this weekend when the snow clears, didn't know which to go with, urethane, silicone or ninco rubber ( which work well on my Carrera 50s sports cars, the old sliding mag type. Don't have use of my left hand for next 6 monthes, going thru some agent orange related issues, but have read articles on HRW for more modern cars to replace drive spring with tubing. Will give that a try when I can. Also want to do Harrys guide modification.
The cartrix cars I like are the Lotus, Bugatti, Gordini and BRM. What front end fixes are needed?. Any remotor advice. I should note that each of my 2 lanes has a separate adjustable power supply, so I might be able to balance things out.

I appreciate everyone's input
Bob e
seal666

Postby Dogsbody » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:54 am

Glad to see there are others out there that have a love for Cartrix.
Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:58 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dogsbody » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:58 pm

In switching out the stock rubber on the Cartrix, be very careful taking the tires on and off. The spoked rims are easy to get out of true.
Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale