3D printed Sprint Car

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

3D printed Sprint Car

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:44 pm

I've been a bit distracted by boating the last few months, so just "lurking" here.

Browsing the Shapeways website, found CG Slotcars' 1/32 Sprint Car.

Curiosity drove me to order one.

Although CB wheels and PG tyres are recommended, I got mine from Pendles as they're nearer (about 4 thousand miles nearer,I think!).

Here's the first assembly

Beside a Scalextric Mini to show size

The chassis is a lovely thing, although it feels a bit delicate to handle. Fitting the motor was slightly nerve-racking as it is such a perfect tight fit.A little bit of filing, and a lot of care and patience needed!
CG Slotcars have a free download of templates for body panels, and they advise making front and rear bumper bars from 1/16 brass rod.

Watch this space . . .

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 3D printed Sprint Car

Postby Broman62 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:24 pm

That's way cool looking!!! Seeing how awesome your other builds are, can't wait to see it finished!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

David! Good to see you back again. Are you getting close with the wonderful old boat?

The photo looks remarkably smooth for a 3D printing. Have you done a lot of sanding and filing to get it that way, or was it that clean when it arrived at your door?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby frank9129 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:46 pm

Did you guys get a look at the Deta Wing? That will be some car if it comes out.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Quickcars » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:10 am

Wow, this is cool! I'm really looking forward to seeing the completed project myself. I'd love to have two or 3 of these to run together.

QC
Quickcars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks, guys. Nice to be doing something that doesn't involve bucketfuls of rust and scale, or crawling about in oily engine bilges.

Rob, the chassis is pretty much as it came. To the naked eye it is smooth and surprisingly detailed. The only filing I have had to do is underneath, where there is a lug with a hole in it to secure the non-drive end of the motor. This lug needed thinning slightly to let the motor click into place. Interestingly, the filing revealed that the plastic isn't red all the way through; just under the surface it is white.

Under magnification, the surface texture is ever so slightly "bobbly". I guess this is the printer laying down little dots of plastic as it builds up the shape.It certainly isn't a problem, and I guess it would help the surface take paint.

It's a bit cold for sitting in the garage today (well probably not cold by American standards, but remember our strong point is coping with rain!), so the bumper bars will have to wait, but I'm going to have a go at the body panels and wing tonight.

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Alaskaracer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:25 pm

What size bearings go in the rear? Can I use a 3/32 rear axle?
Alaskaracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:36 pm

I've used ordinary, cheap Scalextric-type plastic bearings, and a Slot.it 3/32 axle.

Bearings click in easily,and are held much more snug than they are in some new Scalextric cars.

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Alaskaracer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:25 am

Awesome, I have ordered one for racing in my club here in Central Florida.
Alaskaracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby eAddict » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:54 pm

eAddict

Postby spaceshoes » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:41 pm

I came across the CG Slotcars/Shapeways site and came here to see what people had to say about the sprint car chassis. I finally found this thread, but the pictures aren't coming up. Also, any updates? How have they held up? Best way to attach the bodies? Best way to add the tubing? Would using styrene sheets instead of paper make the car more stable? Heading to the Chili Bowl Nationals next week and would love to build a fleet of some of those to race on my track. I'm used to running mostly NASCARs and some old Scaley Indycars, so I'm thinking using a plastic chassis would be a better choice than a metal chassis. It may be easier and cheaper as well. Thanks for any input.
spaceshoes

Postby RichD » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:32 am

Scalextric bearings have oversized axle holes, if you expect to race the car you would be better off using Slot.it bronze bearings.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Oval Racing HQ!