Revell SP 510 X

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Revell SP 510 X

Postby Guildman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi all,
a very good friend has just made me a gift of two old Revell SP 510X kits of a Stingray and a 250 GTO. The Stingray, however is slightly different from the GTO. It has grub screwed wheels (which look exactly the same on the outside and a HUGE nylon contrate gear. It is consequently much quicker off the mark with that gearing. Can anyone tell me why one kit should be different from another?

Cheers,
Martin
Guildman

Re: Revell SP 510 X

Postby Guildman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:11 pm

Ah, also, is it still possible to get a Revell guide from the period, as the Stingray has a wobbly Jet Flag, which I'd like to replace.

Cheers,
Martin
Guildman

Postby Mitch58 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:30 pm

Some of the old Revells were sold as cars in home sets, these usually had the stamped one piece chassis and others were sold as kits to build, most of these had the adjustable aluminum chassis. As for original guides. I probably have about ten of these cars and chassis and as the guides are almost all different I couldn't tell you which one it was supposed to be. There are after market guides available including some made specifically for a flat metal chassis. A couple of the popular online stores such as Professor Motor and Electric Dreams have Vintage sections on their pages, you might be able to find something there. I personally find that I enjoy running these older cars every bit as much as the newer cars of today.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Guildman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:57 pm

This particular 'Vette came with a very wobbly, very badly trimmed down Jet Flag. I would like to get an original guide.
I don't have a clue about newer cars. I can't afford them! And with the exception of these and, if only I could find some, Strombeckers and Monograms, I make everything, including the bodies.

Cheers,
Martin
Guildman

Return to Vintage Slot Cars