[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Controller idea

Controller idea

For Those Doing It Digital Style!

Controller idea

Postby Czar » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:13 am

While responding to Rich's thread about the Carrera wireless controllers I started thinking about what could be done to improve them. A lot of racers have asked about trigger type controllers, and they never materialize, so maybe this is too far beyond the realm of possible (at this time). How about a controller with LED readout to show the fuel level? A series of four or five LED's (green to red) would light to give you an idea of how much "fuel" is left in the tank, and when to pit. An array of LED's on the top plate of the controller would only take a quick glance away from the track to see your fuel level. When you pit, they would light back to green as the tank is filled. Of course this has to be in a wireless controller. Just like your phone, no one is going back to a wired controller after using wireless.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Controller idea

Postby Burrell » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:57 pm

I love this idea. I think it could even be taken further. What about sound effects, maybe a warning when they feel is getting low, race position, etc. How about a small vibration feedback from the car, similar to video game controllers. You could really add to an immersive experience.
Burrell
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby R/TRandy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:14 pm

R/TRandy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mebrown » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:15 pm

The trigger styles exist but I like the ideas mentioned here much more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mebrown

Postby b.yingling » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:07 am

Scorpius and oXigen both, I think, offer some feedback options. For Carrera digital, such a device would need either a new powerbase, or new car chips, or a way to tie to a separate, connected device, as the existing devices have no way to communicate that information to the controller. And no, the Bluetooth LE dongle could not be adapted very easily for this task. They could create a new, super powered version of the dongle, I suppose, that could connect to multiple devices.

And a new power base isn't such a big deal. Probably the cheapest part of the equation.
b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:22 am

Thanks for the information about the Carrera system. It is very disappointing to see digital slot racing defined by its limitations, rather than possibilities. Is lane changing and pretend fuel going to be the zenith of digital slot racing? Look at how digital technology has totally changed photography. Digital photography has opened new possibilities that were only fantasies for traditional, silver based photographers. The Nuremberg toy show is coming up; let's hope there will be some announcements of new and dazzling advancements in digital slot racing.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Drewbert34 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:49 am

To your point, one thing I find counterproductive; albeit a bit off topic of wireless controllers, but still apolicable to your sentiments.

In reading on another forum where I've made possible suggestions to a Android / Apple only race app (which requires a phone or tablet for use, mind you) there is always someone that replies with the insinuation of "what do you want that for?...most people don't use what Carrera offers natively!" (my words not theirs...paraphrasing here)...okay?...thank you, point taken, but I'm not "most people" and I would enjoy the functionality.

It is this exact thing that stunts growth in digital. If it's a feature that can be implimented, theres no reason why you can't make it user selectible. If a toy confuses someone, maybe digital slot cars aren't their sandbox.

I can understand why Carrera wishes to "keep it simple / stupid" but there is no reason why a 3rd party developer shouldn't hear ideas without someone poo pooing the suggestion as "too complicated".

To me, it seems that it's some of the users of some digital platforms that are keeping digital from growing in the hobby segment of the market.

Take a look at all the digital development going on with the hobby segment of Scalextric. Several wireless controllers to choose from and digital racing development that's quite a bit more advanced than Carrera using Race Control 64.

I love Carrera...I just want more selection in controllers and racing features. It appears the only way to make this happen is with Scorpious.
Drewbert34
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby b.yingling » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:01 pm

Last edited by b.yingling on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:28 am

Yes, I agree, Carrera could certainly make a more sophisticated control, unit, controllers, dongle. But they seem very resistant to ideas from outside. They apparently have a clear vision of their product and market. They are doing well enough financially that there is no real incentive for them to change anything. It is the same reason that they do not support a universal digital system. I am not putting Carrera down, just stating my observations.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby kidvoltage » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:49 am

Maybe ya'll should do like we do at Digital Racing Solutions.

Develop an idea into a plan, get some parts, develop the idea some more, create a product, market it, sell it and deliver it. Nothing to it beyond figuring out the embedded technology which can be quite time consuming, frustrating and difficult.

Perhaps you could offer to sponsor someone else's endeavor.

But to come to an online forum and complain about someone else not doing something does seem a little unrealistic. I'm sure it's been said before but these are toys, the fact that there are enthusiasts among us is merely a coincidence.

Let me give you an example of how this can or can't work.

We originally started our small company to produce controllers for SCX Digital since the originals were so awful. Eventually we expanded to Carrera Digital which is now our main direction.

SCX users pleaded for a start light that would offer some race control which had been totally ignored by SCX along with a few other items. So we did that, we developed one. It works great, the few that have purchased it like it also. However that number is probably close to half a dozen. On the other hand we have sold more than 400 wired controllers and hundreds of USB units for Carrera Digital.

The bottom line, some projects will be successful while others not so. Listening to the loudest voice is not always a profitable solution. We will never recoup our investment in the start light project. Just the way it goes sometimes.

So who wants to invest some development funds?
kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:59 am

Good post and especially the point of you developing and selling 6 SCX start lights. There is nothing wrong about the manufacturers, the market is just to small to sustain R&D at a level to fully develop all digital has to offer. In a digital world where most advances are made the sales figures are in the millions of units. Slot cars will never be there

Good news is that being able to interface with a computer for timing and power management unlocks the potential for user groups and shareware to develop and design advances as a hobby.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Drewbert34 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:07 pm

Nothing that I've read or typed appeared as "complaining" to me. It appeared as wanting more of a good thing. I saw them as ideas.

After seeing your post, kidvoltage, I certainly now know where you stand.

I'm sorry you went all in on a product for SCX. I wasn't one of those people.

Lamborghini was started in similar fashion after voicing concern about clutch design to Ferrari.

It's all food for thought!
Drewbert34
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:35 am

[quote="kidvoltage"] I'm sure it's been said before but these are toys, the fact that there are enthusiasts among us is merely a coincidence./quote]

This is the all time, classic cop out. It is a very weak, tired argument. Could you (or someone else) please explain the inherent limitations we should expect and accept, because something is labeled as a toy? Why shouldn't we expect more from our toys?
This is a forum dominated by enthusiasts, not children playing with their toys. Dave Kennedy is a valued member of this little circle and does an excellent job of promoting slot racing (and specifically Carrera products) to the enthusiasts that make up this forum. I have never seen a post from him (or Slotus) aimed at children playing with toys. I will ask again, Why shouldn't we expect more from our toys?

[quote-"kidvoltage"] So who wants to invest some development funds?/quote}

What is the name on your Kickstarter account?
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:41 am

I agreed in principle to kid voltages post.

You can call these things whatever you want, but there is not a large market demand for them as toys or model racing cars.

I heard "GO" is the biggest money maker for Carrera. Read into that what you want

If there is something you want you probably need to develop it and fund it yourself. The best development for slotcars has been Shapeways, where designs can be put into low cost production
If only there was a digital electronic equivalent. This would allow development at low cost

If new digital components earn a return of 2% and a new slot car release produces a return of 20% it is pretty hard to get the bean counters to release funds to a low return project.

Carrera has put together a solid digital system. They now have to wait for the digital market to expand to the point there are more consumers who want these great ideas produced

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby kidvoltage » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:35 am

kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Digital Racing