[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Cool 54 Monogram Midget ..

Cool 54 Monogram Midget ..

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Cool 54 Monogram Midget ..

Postby ourwayband » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:11 pm

Got lucky and picked this up today at a flee market.Dated 54,un-built and still attached..Just the box art is cool enough..
Man they made some cool stuff back in the day..
Just had to share,hope this is in the right forum.. :D
Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Cool 54 Monogram Midget ..

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:40 pm

I picked up the repop. Never built it, but the boxart was cool enough to justify purchase.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby mattb » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:18 pm

midget kit.jpg The kit pictured is probably from the 50's, the long box is a newer issue. There have been 10-15 releases or more of the midget in that size box. I would have no idea of the correct year for that release, 54 is the year it was first manufactured. I use those kits to cut up and modify for masters of some of the old indy bodies I have made. I got one kit that had the same picture but the box was about 3-4 inches shorter. I know it was an early kit and should have been collectable. It went thru Ebay with another long box kit and both kits hardly went for $20! There is a similiar short box kit that has been showing up as a Buy It Now for $79, but it never sells. I got one kit for $2.99! It is in a plain cardboard box with the address written by pen on the outside. The kits packed like that were some kind of giveaway from a cereal company.

They are neat kits to cut up and build as slot cars!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:16 pm

Thanks for the info...Just don't see these much out side of e-bay..
If we ever learn how to make brass stick I may build one out of it.For now I'm enjoying as is.. :D
Thanks
Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:05 pm

Take that midget kit and cut the bottom out and a little of the sides to make a lower setting car.

Use either 60's Dynamic frame, a sprintsplus cut in half and lenrthened or a womp cut in half and lengthened and you can easily build a neat car.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mayberryman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:22 am

Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:52 am

midget racers.JPGThis 60's Monogram Midget Racer slot car was actually a version of the 1/24 Hotshot Midget Racer, a fairly scale Kurtis Midget. You could buy this kit as a model or in a typical big box as a slot kit. It is one of the most detailed kits of the 60's and uses the same chassis as the 1/32 Lotus and Ferrari F1.

The big midget kit was never offered as a slot car, only as a static model. It is closer to 1/18 scale and a lot bigger than a scale midget, but is close in size to a 1/24 scale upright dirt car like the Kuzma. Both kits were both red and were similiar except for size.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:58 am

Nice find Rusty!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:55 am

the LHS still had 2 of these latest repops on the shelf last time I looked, seems like they were in the $12-$15 range I believe the 54 date is probably COPYRIGHT
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby burad » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:03 pm

I still have one of the old Monogram midgets with the brass chassis. The one thing that is kinda frustrating with it is the guide. The way the guide is set up, the car can turn practically all the way around. This is obviously a problem. How did you guys solve this issue?
burad

Postby Mitch58 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Interesting I have one of each, I bid for both on eBay hoping to get one and ended up with both. When they arrived there was one long box and one short box, but when I opened them they were the same exact kit inside. I figured they must be different releases of the same car.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:35 am

Rusty, I would save it as a model kit. you will never be able to make anything fun out of it. :lol: Image
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby ourwayband » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:37 pm

LOL,Mr Taylor,If I had your building skills I would be right there with you.. :D
Cool builds buddy!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Quickcars » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:32 am

Wow B.Taylor I've never seen ANYONE convert these oversize kits as well as you have. WELL DONE!!!!

QC
Quickcars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Bob, Count me in with the others regarding kudos on your work. I am curious, what kind of wheels did you wind up using on the finished versions?
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Vintage Slot Cars