[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Carrera Go Controller modifications

Carrera Go Controller modifications

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Carrera Go Controller modifications

Postby Rinkrat99 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi all,

Returning to Slotcars after many moons away.

Purchased a Carrera Go 43rd scale set this past Holiday. Going to purchase an expansion set #3 to create a bigger layout.

I am not a fan of this Turbo button which goes full throttle on smaller tracks. I found an article to remove the Turbo Boost trigger but this would leave only approx 70% of the throttle.

Has anyone modified the controller to allow 100% when fully depressed with the current wiper resistor?

I noticed from tests that an onloaded voltage per lane is 14.5Vdc while at 70% throttle it is 10.8Vdc. The car pulls approx 200-300mA

I was thinking I could increase the power source from 14.5 to 17 or 18Vdc where the 70% throttle would be around 14.5Vdc. Any thoughts?
Rinkrat99

Re: Carrera Go Controller modifications

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:55 pm

Here is a couple of pictures that will help

Before Mod

After Mod

If you don't want brakes ignore adding the brake wire.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rinkrat99 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:28 pm

Thanks Dan

OK I see the method being used to limit the voltage. In all cases except the Turbo Boost being ON, the min resistance would be the 33 ohm 1w resistors. Another method could be to reduce the 33 ohms to a smaller resistance. I only see schematically the winds in series with the 33ohm to the RED lead for track power. Where is the center pin tied to? Is it tied to the RED lead as well? Looks like it.

After the mod, does the Turbo Boost become the Brake?

Thanks
Rinkrat99

Postby pfuetze » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:11 am

i would remove the resistor in the power track section and go for aftermarket controllers with around 60 ohms.
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:39 am

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rinkrat99 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:54 am

Thanks all. I actually have the power track with a single DC input but have not gotten to taking that apart yet. I may either use an external PS with single input at 14.5Vdc 2A or go for the new dual input track. Either way the mod now makes sense but would need to decide if the removal of the resistor would make the throttle poor for my 10 yr old daughter. She has been playing with the BOOST and of course cannot control the car. A 60 ohm option makes sense. Would that be a Parma Economy? Would 60 ohms be too high? http://www.homeracingworld.com/throttlecontrol.htm indicates 45 or 30 ohms may be better but then its for a 1/32 car. And being a EE muself I am thinking of ways to use some test equipment to figure what works best for me too. :)

Thanks for the feedback.
Rinkrat99

Postby Rinkrat99 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:55 pm

any suggestions on how to open the terminal track to expose the PCA? I removed the two screws and seems a post near the opposite side is holding it in place but then the bottom of the PCA seems like it too is secured by some means. Are those three pry tbs inside the two controllers and PS input?

Thanks
Rinkrat99

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:00 am

There me be a hidden screw under an inspection sticker. I am pretty sure once you remove all the screws the plate comes off

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dodgefarmer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:31 am

Hi Rr99 and welcome to the fun. The track piece of the power connection is just a 114mm small straight. Once the screws are removed the track has to be pried off the base (note 4 tab circular boss's on the underside of the track. I have an article in the building tips thread (just above this thread. The one thing that I discovered with this mod is that the turbo brake would brake both lanes at once when applied.
This is my latest mod.

http://homeracingworld.us/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13034

Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:07 am

60 ohm parma eco are a good choice.
(if you find Ecos ... i think they are out of production)

for making driving easier for kids: lower the voltage with some cheap DC step down voltage modules available on amazon or ebay ...
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rinkrat99 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks all, I can see why the single power tap would brake both lanes, you are basically shorting the V+ to Gnd. On a dual input terminal the brake would work. You could add a Resistor back in series with that Brake for that single lane though. Would have to test it. Damn a quick Xmas gift for Dad is quickly letting me spend more $$ for what I would like rather than just fun.

Next step is adding the track and then determining what pieces I need or just buy a 2nd set.
Rinkrat99

Postby pfuetze » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:48 am

i would buy a 2nd set.
in that way you get a 2bd power supply and be able to seperate the lanes by using 2 power track pieces.
use lane 1 with controller 1 on power track section 1 and use lane 2 with controller 2 on power track section 2.

this helps to remove the "power surge"
when one car deslots, the other will get a power boost.
of course this effect can also be "used" during racing. (braking in a way that the opponent gets too much power ;) )
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rinkrat99 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:55 am

Hi all

Got my new set "GT Competition"! Going to modify the 2nd Terminal track but removal of two screws leaves two bosses that are snapped.

Suggestions on how to loosen these?
Rinkrat99

Postby pfuetze » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:29 pm

got a picture?
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rinkrat99 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:31 pm

[img]http://s349.photobucket.com/user/Rinkrat1966/media/Carrera%20Terminal%20Track1_zpszm4yec3l.png.html?filters[user]=146074948&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0[/img]
Rinkrat99

Next

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale