[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1/32 Monogram Ferrari & unidentified Cheetah purchases

1/32 Monogram Ferrari & unidentified Cheetah purchases

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

1/32 Monogram Ferrari & unidentified Cheetah purchases

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:07 pm

LHS in my area is, unfortunately, closing down and subsequently clearing out all new and used hobby stock.

From the used slot car pile, I picked up a vintage 1/32 running chassis and three bodies.

The chassis and two Ferraris are clearly Monogram but I'm not exactly sure what the Cheetah is. Anyone have an idea? It's got a single mounting post, front and rear, with a brass body screw insert in each.

I really appreciate the patina and someone's detail paint work on these bodies so will just do a clean up. The chassis runs quite well with wheels shod with PG vintage tires.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 1/32 Monogram Ferrari & unidentified Cheetah purchases

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:30 pm

Whew! Look what you found! I wonder if the Cheetah is a Cox? If you don't get any good info, I'll look through my 1965-67 Auto World catalogs, and Car Model mags I have on CDs.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Lou E » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:13 pm

The Cheetah looks like a Cox, do you have any pictures of the underside? Either way, that is definitely a nice haul!
Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:37 pm

Here are better Cheetah pics.

Thanks for any info.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:28 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:19 pm

When I looked at that Cox Cheetah I thought I could smell oil of wintergreen. I remember the guys at our commercial raceway in the 60s using wintergreen on those tires to make them stick. Whew, what a stink, my brain still remembers it.

So another LHS bites the dust, but at least you managed some goodies. I like that Ferrari roadster.

Is the snow gone yet in Winnipeg? Is the Red flooding this year? Have the mosquitoes swarmed in yet?

Don't you wish you were still in Vancouver? We had 30 C today in Maple Ridge.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:43 pm

Subtlety is not Keith's strength. He wants his neighbor back or something.

Let's see... your local hobby shop is gone, there's snow well into June, a river that floods often enough that people ask about it, and oh- mosquitoes SWARM there.

Then just to rub it in, oh by the way... Its mildly warm in back in Vancouver, Dan!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby slothead » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:34 pm

That Cox Cheetah brings back memories of my favorite car from the 60's, a Cox 1/32 Ford GT. What a sweet car that was with the magnesium chassis and fat rear rubber tires. It ran great on my home track and at the commercial track. I don't know what became of the chassis but I found the body in the attic while cleaning out my parents house and kept it.

How do those Cox cars run compared to classic GT cars of today such as the GT40's and Porsche 917's from Fly and Slot.it? I'd love to add a Cox Ford GT to my World Sportscar series.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:45 pm

Some good-nature ribbing and info going on here!

Got acquainted with vintage assembly by lengthening the chassis's wheelbase and narrowing the front and rear tracks to fit the 275 instead of the 250 LM body.

Pleasantly surprised by how well the car runs at 11 volts, easily keeping up and surpassing my modern classic cars.

The vintage buy also included Lotus wheel inserts, a pinion puller and these little jewels.

Needed just one Cox wheel three-prong knock-off to complete a set for my 1/24 Cox Ferrari Dino and now I've got extras!

Think I saw a Cox magnesium chassis under one of the store sell-off cars, so I'll go back. Would be nice to complete that Cheetah.

Thanks.

Dan
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:41 pm

I had just discovered the Monogram kits when my family moved back to the states, so that Ferrari 275 and the 250LM were new to me. I got the roadster before we moved, and years later the LM came into my hands. I still have both of them. I even bought the repop a few years back when they put them out again, using MRRC chassis. That drop arm for the guide is after I knew them. Mine was very basic, and the guide just pushed through the front of the chassis.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby LAMing » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:54 pm

Excellent find! Way to go!

One of 'ya said:

"(Wintergreen oil) Whew, what a stink, my brain still remembers it."

What??? I LOVED that smell! It was the smell of a commercial slot track! They all smelled that way "back then". In fact, I still have a bottle that I used to use when we (as a family) had "Racing Night" and raced my vintage car/track collection. I used to put some wintergreen on a piece of folded paper towel, place that in a small plastic bowl... and it would fill the air just like the good old days!

All of the above nostalgia is definitely FWIW!

Andre
LAMing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Vintage Slot Cars