[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Building Prairie Winds Test Track

Building Prairie Winds Test Track

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Building Prairie Winds Test Track

Postby DrumPhil » Tue May 17, 2016 3:35 pm

Here we go...my first attempt at building a wood track. MDF should be here in a week or so (ordered today through our small-town lumber yard). In the meantime I'll get to work building the table. Experienced help with the routing is on the way from 2FER, so let's hope it all goes well and driving can start in a few weeks.

This is going to be a simple 4x8-foot one-lane "test track", since I pretty much expect to race alone. If anyone else wants to try it we can take turns setting lap times.

Here is a 1x2-foot model of the layout. Elevation in the top left corner is about ten inches (in scale); we'll see if adjustments are needed when we do it for real in wood. From my past experience I've learned that elevations, a variety of corners, and scenery go a long way to keep the driving interesting and fun.
DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Building Prairie Winds Test Track

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Tue May 17, 2016 5:37 pm

This is going to be fun :dance:
Thinking about guard rails and barriers yet ?
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Tue May 17, 2016 6:38 pm

Hmmm, this is giving me ideas....
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DrumPhil » Tue May 17, 2016 7:49 pm

DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DrumPhil » Wed May 18, 2016 8:59 pm

Okay, table is built. Ready to get busy with the MDF when it arrives. Yay!
DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Wed May 25, 2016 6:11 pm

2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DrumPhil » Wed May 25, 2016 6:33 pm

I like the idea of drawing it with the strip and a yardstick. I have plenty of yardsticks, so we can drill holes in one to use as a compass for the consistent radius corners. If the groove changes slightly in the transfer process, it's not a big problem. This is a learning process for me, right? :)

Getting very excited now!
DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:46 pm

Neat little layout DP...welcome to the wood world...good luck!!!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DrumPhil » Sat May 28, 2016 7:47 pm

Day 1 saw a ton of progress because this first-timer had a great, experienced coach to talk things through. Three cheers for Derek (in the red shirt)!
:text-thankyouyellow:
DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DrumPhil » Sat May 28, 2016 7:55 pm

End of day 1 after routing, sawing, and making first attempts at elevations.
DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby k0z0oo1 » Sat May 28, 2016 8:34 pm

That's some nice progress! Looks like a fun track, I like the elevations
k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat May 28, 2016 9:41 pm

Outstanding work gents! Looks like a fun circuit and I love the elevations!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Sun May 29, 2016 7:52 am

I got to route exactly 9" of this track,just to show Phil where to turn on the machine.
Dude is a natural.....should be more wood tracks in the future.
Was concerned that I remembered the bondo half way to Phil's house,we didn't need any !
Had a blast being a part of this build,going to be good.
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DrumPhil » Sun May 29, 2016 5:12 pm

Today I did some undercuts at a few corners, using my Dremel. I don't recommend the Dremel for this purpose, but it got the job done eventually. Also got accurate supports cut for the elevations. My goal today was to get the track into the basement before my wife got home from visiting her mother. Happy to say the garage is all cleaned up, and the track sits on the table in its new home.

Tonight I go to hear my son play euphonium in the community band. :clap:

Hopefully tomorrow I can get those supports screwed in place, make a few wiring holes, and get the road surface ready to paint.
DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Sun May 29, 2016 5:31 pm

Looks good sitting there :handgestures-thumbup:
Good job getting the garage cleaned up,would not make points tracking MDF residue into the house.
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Lumber Yard