[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Blue Ridge Parkway 2 lane routed

Blue Ridge Parkway 2 lane routed

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!
Photos and Descriptions of YOUR Home Layout

Blue Ridge Parkway 2 lane routed

Postby Dangermouse » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:11 am

Last edited by Dangermouse on Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Blue Ridge Parkway 2 lane routed

Postby Scatman1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:13 am

Thanks for sharing. Now finish already. :dance:
Scatman1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:19 am

Looking good!

Here in the USA it is odd...we park in "driveways" and drive on "parkways".
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Czar » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:04 am

I live 4 miles (5.5km) from the nearest entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is indeed one of the most beautiful roads in America. It runs from the base of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. The BRP is almost 400 miles (550km) in length and is the only road in the US that is a National Park. There are no tolls or fees to use the Parkway. The Park Service never plows or uses chemicals to keep it clear of ice and snow, they just shut it down! Top speed on the Parkway is 45mph (80kph) and the highest point is just over 5,265ft. (3,000 meters). There are several tunnels through the ridges. Though part of the BRP was built in sections as early as 1910, the final link, a suspension bridge hung from the side of Grandfather Mountain (and considered and engineering marvel) wasn't completed until about 2000.

Your track looks challenging. If you can, try to get some elevation changes, just like the real Blue Ridge Parkway. I hope you will continue to add pictures as you go along.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:20 pm

That is a great choice for a track!!
Looks like she will be fun to run also!

rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Question for those who live near or know the Parkway - are there street lights there?

I have this idea that rather than a gantry I will put a couple of street lights over each lane to provide lighting for the timing system. (Yeah I still want timing :)) I have thought about the in slot sensors but as I have a working timing system now I don't need to change or invest in something new.

I might do something like this

cheers
David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:59 pm

I would say those lights would look ok....I don't think you're going to have any Virginia or U.S. Park folks inspecting it for authenticity and depending on the era of your RR they should fit right in. Looks like a fun track.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:41 pm

If you would like pictures of any Parkway details, just let me know. I'll be happy to send them your way.

But to answer your question directly, there are no street lights on the Parkway except for some of the exits (not all) and the Visitor Centers. The style varies, but the lights are mostly the bland industrial lights you see everywhere. The Visitor's Centers may have lights that are closer to the lights you show. But use whatever works best for the look you want.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:19 pm

My thoughts re the elevations around the track.

Thinking of putting the viaduct on the front right turn and along the back straight - not sure how far maybe 1/3 of the straight

thanks for all the kind words will try to keep regular updates happening.

Happy to hear suggestions for scenic features. Found lots of photos on the net, of rustic fences, dry stone walls and roads curving around rock faces.

cheers
David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:05 am

or switch the bridge positions over

I think I like this way better

cheers
DM
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:44 am

DM - Glad to see this one coming along! I like the layout and the fact that your dad is helping. Looks like fun!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Dangermouse » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks for the tip Jeremy
I will lift that turn up, I think I left it at the same height from the first model.

For anyone building a track with elevations, it is really worthwhile making a model and playing around with it. Funnily enough I had the vision in my mind, but it was only when I tried to explain it to my dad that I thought I should have made a model.

cheers
David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:25 pm

Did some cutting out and playing with the elevation this morning.

Jobs to do now:
Tidy up the surface - fill nail holes, check and fix dodgy routing etc
Seal with a coat of paint
Remove the old track :(
Seal the surface where new track is going.
Set the new track up in place and work out elevations and all the fun stuff

well you know the rest :)

cheers
DM
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:11 am

The Blue Ridge Parkway is just a short drive for me across US 441, it starts in Cherokee, North Carolina. Unfortunately, a large section of 441 on the NC side slid off the mountain this past week.

If you're trying for some realism, any guardrails in National Parks are usually wood or ungalvanized metal left to rust naturally. Many railings and tunnel faces are made of stone as well.

As a VW Bus nut, the only way to travel is by Bus. The B R Pkwy is a perfect road for slow touring on.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:51 am

Really looking great!!!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Next

Return to Reader's Roads