[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - My Avant Slot Porsche Kremer 8

My Avant Slot Porsche Kremer 8

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

My Avant Slot Porsche Kremer 8

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:44 am

Here is another model still available by Avant Slot that I had to try. Given the fun of the Mirage models, this livery was just too enticing to pass up.

The paint and body look very well done to me. I am not the only one buying cars on looks alone :)

The chassis was also a reason. I am not a big fan of anglewinder systems, but with a little care it can run smooth.

The first challenge was ridding this car of the over powered motor. For very large tracks it might be perfect, for my non-magnet wood track that has a smaller footprint it does more harm than good. Not even voltage reduction can rid this car of the punch/vibration this motor causes.

In the teardown I discovered this model does NOT come with aluminum wheels like later releases. They are press on plastic and although seemed true enough, one was damaged. So I upgraded :)

I went with Slot.it inserts that do not match perfectly, but close enough for me.

Now I am testing motors for another project and decided to try the famous NSR Baby King. These motors are ridiculously over-priced and that reason alone is why I have never bothered to use them.

So to be clear: YES they are over-priced. NO I don't like or agree with it. However...this is one nice motor. :auto-checkeredflag:

As far as cost? It is what it is. I almost feel it's worth it due to the action the motor has.

With Paul Gage 20125 tires installed and trued, it was test time.

All I can say is I am very pleased. Motor cost aside, this car is very smooth and quick on my track. I wasn't happy to discover plastic wheels in back, so this added to the cost. But what can I say? I wanted this model to run a certain way and budget be danged :)

This was a fun project. This car is just a blast to drive and although not my favorite era, I might get another soon for a running mate.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: My Avant Slot Porsche Kremer 8

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:21 pm

Just change out the motor to an FC-130. Try it, you'll like it!
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:47 pm

Sure could. But I was testing, so I report the findings. :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby VTECFOUR » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:31 pm

Got mine before the N.A. distribution improved. Seemed to be a hit n' miss whether you got the plastic or metal rear rims. Replacing the stock nylon with metal bushings was a must as they had too much slop for me. I changed the guide to Ninco as the stock one broke right behind the braid holes. The guide material seems quite brittle. I also changed to a solid front axle dispensing with the independent fronts.

Went for the hard green chassis and motor pod. I run on Luf's challenging Targa Burnaby track with extreme elevation changes and saw immediate improvement.

The Avant LMP classic cars (Mirage, Kremer) are some of my favorites.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby acmost » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:04 pm

Super clean!
acmost
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cgingras » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:35 pm

I just prepared a set of 4 Mirage's this past week. Full axle at the front with CB Design 14x8 wheels and the stock front tires, kept the stock aluminium rims at the rear, added some weight behind the guide, glued the motor and original bushings in, changed to SCC braid, went with Quick Slicks tires for my track and I now have another great smooth IROC series to run with my race buddies. Avant Slot are great and now affordable slot cars.
cgingras
SCC Mechanic

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:46 pm

Thanks for all the info guys.

Interesting on the solid axle option. Maybe I will try it. I like the fronts, but they are harder to get aligned just right, not to mention make a lot of racket.

And since we are showing tape methods,

I use black duct tape. Seems to work fine for reducing the vibrations.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:06 pm

That is one sexy looking livery!
(must resist!!!)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Austin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:27 pm

I put the Ninco NC14 in mine and runs great with quick slicks and no magnets, Do you all see they come with 3 magnets, on my scalextric track they are a rocket. If it ever came off the track it would go right through the wall.

Anyone know what RPM these motors are ? I am starting to get a pile of them

Magnetic downforce, Not the same body but the same chassis and magnets
Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:32 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Austin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Wow Harry you are all over these cars, Thanks for the link, you can't bet these cars for under $50

Best thing is they all have the same chassis so they run great together.
Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Slot Car Garage