Houston, we have a problem...Atlas track joiners...

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Houston, we have a problem...Atlas track joiners...

Postby ChallengerGuy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:56 pm

Here's the issue - The Atlas intersection pieces require shorter joiners than what I have...trust me, I have looked through all the joiners I have...so, any ideas? Who knew they used half length joiners for these pieces.

Obviously I will have to create some barrel slotted sleeves. UGH...so close, and yet so far.

Cheers,
Mike
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Houston, we have a problem...Atlas track joiners...

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:04 pm

Hmmm....first time I've heard about this ? And I have a couple friends who have built Atlas Figure 8's . Anyway, my .02¢ - why not cut or grind a little off each end of a stock joiner ??? BTW- Lionel and Faller joiners work with Atlas track too. Maybe you might want to contact Bob at SlotCarCentral ? http://www.slotcarcentral.com/
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ChallengerGuy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:14 pm

I'll experiment a bit with the dremel. The issue is that simply cutting the brass in half won't work as the cut out from the barrel is in the shape of black widow shape...in short, if they simply used barrel connectors I could trim to any length...but no, in 1962 some engineer thought it would be better to cut a black widow diamond shape out of the brass. Grrr...

And yeah, I'll shoot an email to the slotter who ran the intersection track and see if he has any words of wisdom.

Thanks Ralph!

PS - I have spoken with Slot Car Central...they refer to me as the crazy guy who collects Atlas track. LOL... I may call him next week but I am thinking anyone who knew about this minutia of detail regarding Atlas track has long since left the planet. Interestingly, Lionel also had an intersection but lengthened the piece to be 6 inches instead of 3 inches, thereby allowing a standard inset into the rail.
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ChallengerGuy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:35 am

This is the issue (just documenting on the forum for future searches regarding this classic old track):

Standard joiners are too long as the recessed hole is shorter than on standard pieces of track - it's shorter since the piece is only 3-inches long and it has so many crossing rails.

The topside shows you why you can't just cut the pins down...there's not enough metal on the top to allow it.

Cheers,
Mike
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:52 pm

Have you tried using brass square tubing,and squeezing to make the desired shape?
K&S has some small sizes.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby ChallengerGuy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:29 pm

I was going to check on some today at my LHS. I will post good/bad results. Good idea on the square idea...I was thinking round tubing but square would be more rigid. Thanks Bob!
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ChallengerGuy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:19 pm

The rest of the story:

I ended up finding four more intersections online that had the small pins. Also, you will need some type of clip like you see on the underside to keep everything tight. You build the intersection first, then work your way out. Be warned the short pins must be installed in the intersection track before joining normal track pieces. If you do it the other way (install pins in the 9-inch straight, say), the short pins will sink into the normal track piece and not make good contact with the intersection pieces.

Cheers,
Mike
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:50 pm

Awesome track!

I cringe at the thought of the chaos and carnage that will happen at the intersection though......

I can't wait to see pics of the finished track with racing action!!!!

:D :D :D :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:56 am

Great follow up reference for everyone! Thank you for the added info!
(Looking forward to additional updates and maybe even a vid of it "in action"!) :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby ChallengerGuy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:05 am

ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:42 am

Very cool!

Love the newest pic!

I didn't realize you could go another 4 lanes with that figure 8.....

:D :D :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:10 pm

From one Atlas Track Fan- to another, thanks for the Info and Updates :text-goodpost:
Your Figure Eight Looks cool- But Scary ! :o :lol:
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ChallengerGuy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:29 pm

Thanks Guys...I have since converted the left side of the inner space into a Sand Dune Oval using four 9-inch curves, four 6-inch curves, and four 9-inch straights. It's a bullring within a figure 8!

Yes, HO is a lot of fun to work with and I have become a HUGE fan of Atlas track. I have noticed that Aurora track bends and does not lay flat compared to Atlas. Even Lionel track, which is interchangeable with Atlas is superior to Aurora. The problem is Aurora has a few specialty sections that I wish Atlas had - the bridge section that allow cars to elevate up one level (or more if you use them in series). And cobblestone. I love the look, feel, and sound of cobblestone track.

I have managed to accumulate a reasonable collection of Atlas and Lionel track (with lots of joiners) that should satisfy me for a while at least. And yeah, I am starting to look at my "completed" 1/32 collection of cars and realize I only want to keep the Slot.Its and potentially trade the Flys for HO cars...uh-oh, it's deja vu all over again!!!

Cheers,
Mike
PS - I will be updating my website link below to include more HO layout stuff to help those in the future for references and pictures of these older track systems.
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vins123 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi
that is really nice
Sylvain
vins123
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:27 am

Hi Mike!

Sounds like you are starting to think about getting rid of some 1/32 like I did.

I parted ways completely with my 1/32 collection for a few reasons. I needed cash due to being on disability since September for one but also I have found that our 1/32 club only got together a few times this past year and with having about 150 cars couldn't justify having them just sit around when I prefer Ho since that is what I grew up with. 1/32 seems more fragile when racing also loosing pieces parts constantly where I have found with my small ho door layouts I keep the tracks smaller and contained thus keeping the speeds down do to short straights causing a lot less damage to none really while racing ho keeping my cars in very nice condition.

With Ho also I like the ability to just swap bodies onto chassis where as with 1/32 when scratch building it seemed I was always custom building chassis each time to fit a given wheel base which was a pain to me anyways.

I always enjoyed looking at your site with all your pictures and look forward to your ho picture additions!

Wayne :D :D :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale