[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - AW Dukes of Hazzard Review

AW Dukes of Hazzard Review

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

AW Dukes of Hazzard Review

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:08 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: AW Dukes of Hazzard Review

Postby dge467 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Neat set. I have those cars when they sold them individually. Mine are the old X traction style without the extra mag.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby BRS Hobbies » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:59 am

Harry,

Thanks for posting the review. I was also confused by the "Curvehuggers" on the box. It turns out that is the name of the race set which is the Dukes of Hazzard Curvehuggers Electric Racing Slot Car Set but I am sure most will think that it applies to the cars. If you have any TOMY AFX hand controllers than they should be compatible with the race set and offer better control than the Auto World hand controllers.

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:19 am

What the cars really need is better tires. Replace the stock rubber tires with Supertires AFX 474s or AFX 490s or similar tires from other makers and you will probably will want to remove the neo traction magnets.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:01 pm

Nice review Harry!
Thanks
Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:18 pm

hey I knew I was good for something!!

rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks guys.

Yes, better controllers and tires make a difference.

But the newcomer does not have these. I just felt they could have used a different car/chassis.

For example: I am finishing the review on the Batman set. Inside is a 4Gear Batmobile and Xtraction VW bus for the Penguin.

There is no contest. The Batmobile runs great, the bus doesn't. Especially coming out of the loop.

My son and I played with for a couple hours. The bottom line is the Batmobile is a blast and fun, the bus just comes off much too easily and takes away from the fun.

If this set were in the hands of brand new racers/children, it wouldn't be that much fun for only one of them to be able to negotiate the track.

So I am doing these reviews in the eyes of a newcomer. That is where a lot of these sets will end up. Advanced enthusiasts have plenty of options and skills to make the other cars run better, newcomers simply do not.

Should I change this view? Do you think this is an unfair way to look at them? Feedback is ALWAYS appreciated.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:26 pm

My not so secret obsession with the Batmobile aside, of course it should be superior :)

I know some folks don't like this new 4Gear version...but I do. I think it looks cool.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ourwayband » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:51 pm

Harry I think your right on with the review angle.All of these sets sold to new racers,young or old will look at these sets in this way."My cars come off too easy". Just read some of the reviews done by these folks on slot car sets on the web selling sites such as amazon.The one thing you read the most on 1/43 and HO is that the cars wouldn't stay on the track.Now we all understand in this day of computer games some folks just don't understand slots,but...maybe a better handing car with a tad bit more mag would be a better idea?

I like the 4gear chassis,even though several don't.They are slower but they seem to be more fun in my book.Not that any one is reading my book.... ;)

Rusty
Last edited by ourwayband on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Jim Norton » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:58 pm

I found the comments about lack of adequate magnets interesting. Forty years ago we had the orginal AFX version of the X-traction chassis sans magnets. And, we newcomers learned to keep the cars on the track. Fast forward to today and we not only have the magna-traction innovation but the additional button magnet as well. You reach a point where too much magnet equals less fun.

From time to time discussion comes up about new track sections and the huge cost involved in bringing such new piece to market. Auto World needs to be praised here for that cool jump track. This looks like a great set and I hope to have one under the tree for my 50th Christmas! Thanks for telling us about this latest AW offering.

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL
Jim Norton

Postby ChallengerGuy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:46 pm

Nice review Harry. I agree with you that it is important to use your experience to consider what the newcomer will face. All too often we all know a tweak here or there will make something much improved but you have to think of the newcomers. For them, they are so far removed from even understanding what a "slot car" is that it's more important now more than ever to view things from a fresh (newcomers') perspective. Good call.
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

You are right Jim about the magnets and how we just had to learn to drive.

But as the cars advanced to faster motors, the control of them was not advanced. In my opinion, it went backwards.

Today I can take a stock T-Jet on my small oval and it doesn't run too bad. In fact they are a blast, easy to drift and the control I have is just fine. My son can drive a mean T-Jet too.

But these faster cars, coupled with low quality controllers that are so touchy, you end up with a car that almost needs the extra magnet traction to enjoy them...in stock form.

Adding tires, better controllers would do wonders...but I never had those back then, and newcomers opening this set as well as the Batmobile set won't have them either.

These cars on my oval, with lower voltage, Parma control and new tires are completely different and actually pretty fun.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby smallblockhero » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:46 am

smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:23 am

You are on the money Harry, the sets should be equal or the little brother will get the stinker car, just ask me how I know this :think:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby gonegonzo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:59 am

Your on the mark with your reviews Harry .

The lack of quailty control on the manufacture . Inadequate controllers , bad tires and ecpecially miss matching cars is very bad for our hobby . They should know that before marketing the set .

To look furthur , mom and dad buys Jr a race car set for Christmas . He struggles and finds one car is good and the other bad (handling and performance) wise . By New Years , after struggling and fighting to race the Batmobile , the set either goes back and many go in the trash .

In my opinion the VW bus belongs in a drag race set only .

The kicker is , mom , dad and Jr wnat nothing to do with slotcars ever again . It's a slow but sure death for our hobby .

Gonzo
gonegonzo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale