Pics and Race summary from Route 93 Raceway in Akron, OH

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Pics and Race summary from Route 93 Raceway in Akron, OH

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:33 pm

A number of use that normally race at Mark's Model World in Canton, OH ventured a bit further north last Friday to try our hands at the HO tracks at Route 93 Raceway in Akron, OH. To say that we had a great time would be an understatement!
I encourage anyone in the area to stop by and check them out as they have a great selection of HO parts and two very nice HO tracks - One being I believe a TKO track and the other a Wizzard.
(On the bigger scale side of things - they also have a '60's vintage American King track and oval and a drag strip - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Route-93 ... k=timeline)

So on to the summary of the action... :)

A great time was had by all this last Friday night at Route 93 Raceway! AutoWorld Racing Rigs made a showing with a five driver field rumbling and rocking their way around the track! Tight turns and long straights made the drivers really have to pick their passing zones - weighing the risks verses potential rewards. Todd Daenzer showed everyone the way, leading the the convoy to the checked flag. Mary Peterson wasn't letting him run away with the show though, claiming a strong second place finish. Terry Peterson and Aronn Palmer traded positions back and forth throughout the race with Terry edging Aronn by mere segments in the end. Candis Palmer was poised to pounce if either driver would have slipped up, but alas it wasn't to be - putting her in fifth to round out the field.

Stock T-Jets were the second race of the evening - with more racers, including store manager, Steve Reed, joining in on the action with his speedy little beetle! There was a LOT of great door to door action throughout the entire race, with battles around every twist and turn! Aronn Palmer claimed the the gold with his speedy Mako Shark showing it was really hooked up to the track. Steve Reed hot on Aronn's tail was running great, but a few unfortunate deslots prevented him from claiming victory. (Impressive considering the Beetle was basically straight off the proverbial used car lot!) Young Marshall slides his way to podium third. That little Dino was a rocket. He and Steve was in a constant door to door battle, but Steve did prevail.
The balance of the field was filled out with the tight battle between Mary Peterson and Todd Daenzer with Mary edging Todd by segments, for fourth and fifth places, Terry Peterson chasing their tail lights in sixth with Candis Palmer and Earl finishing out the field in seventh and eighth respectively.

"Friday night" - Johnny Lightening cars finished out the racing action and what action there was! These cars are notably quicker than the stock t-jets and the competition through the field was notable! Marshall showed that he was there to race, and with a strong car finished with a dominating 49 laps for the victory! Todd Daenzer and Terry Peterson battled door to door for nearly the entire race neither getting more than a few segments ahead of the other throughout. Both clicked off 47 laps at the drop of the checkered flag, but it was Todd edging Terry by segments. Similar to Todd and Terry - Earl and Aronn Palmer put on a great show, both finishing with 45 laps with Earl edging Aronn to claim 4th. Nipping at their tail lights was Steve Reed with 44 laps to round out the field.

Definitely a fun evening of racing!

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Re: Pics and Race summary from Route 93 Raceway in Akron, OH

Postby BRP32 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:03 pm

Thanks Todd for sharing!

Looks like a great time!

I will have to venture down some time.

Those t-jet races look like fun especially the stock ones.

That is how I like to race them!!!!

:text-thankyouyellow:
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:35 am

The stocker t-jets are definitely a lot of fun! We run a class of those at Mark's Model World every third week in rotation and it is probably only second to the rigs for "fun" factor. :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby gonegonzo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:02 pm

Todd ,

Are the JL / AW cars the ones with the weighted front axles ?

I run at Mark's occasionally however it's been some time since I've raced any HO cars there . I have been running my T-Jets with a garage/basement circuit here in the Ohio Valley and on my home track .

I remember Mary and Terry Peterson as Terry was helping me out on the KING track at Mark's one night . Nice people !

I was never into the trucks , I just never had one . My favorite class however is Pure Stock T-Jets down to the rubber tires .

I plan to have 2 of my Monkey Wrench Invitational races after the first of the year here at my track ( Monkey Wrench Speedway) in Wellsville , Ohio . No dates have been set as of yet .

I'll have to come out and try my hand at racing the trucks some time . Mark races them on Wednesday doesn't he ? Ahhhh , that's a bad night because I'd have to miss Survivor ! LOL

This was a nice racing report you posted . I'll be looing forward to more of them in the future .

Gonzo
gonegonzo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Gonzo -
Mary and Terry Peterson are definitely great and a lot of fun to race with!
They are always willing to lend a hand or to loan a car to a fellow racer to run a class that you might not have a car for.
I definitely enjoy racing / hanging out with them on Wednesday nights at Mark's Model World and the occasional trip to Route 93 Raceway on a Friday. :)

In the pics above - you are spot on with the JL / AW being the ones with the weighted front axles - they are step toward a Super Stock t-jet - but they require the use of the JL / AW chassis with the down force magnet removed and don't allow for aftermarket armatures, gears, etc - keeping cost down and competition tight!

The others shown are the old school Aurora / Model Motoring t-jets that are stock skinny tires and a hoot to run! The class at Mark's allow for slip on silicone rears (albeit skinny ones) but other than that, they have to be stock - so it definitely makes for some fun running! :)

Would love to see you out at Mark's (the classes rotate every three weeks for the t-jet, ss t-jet, Tyco 440x2 and every other week for the racing rigs) but barring that, if the Monkey Wrench Invitational races are open to "outsiders" - would love to hear more details about them and see about possibly attending! (Always fun to meet new people and race on a new track!)

Thank you for the compliment of the race report and will try to post more of them in the near future - including the one from last Wednesday's action at Mark's Model World. :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby dge467 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:56 pm

:text-goodpost: Looks like a great time racing! I love racing stock T-Jets!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby gonegonzo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Todd ,

I'll try and bump into you on a night Mark's racing Stock T-Jets .

I should have plans made for the invitationals by the 1st of December . I can't fit them in until after the holidays .

you are correct in saying that AW cars are a step toward S/S . I've seen properly prepared AW cars run right with genuine Aurora S/S cars . However , your gambling as to getting an ill fitted car with AW too . It's a chance you take . I've taken many as I have several AW cars . We have classes for them that we run here .

Regards ,
Gonzo
gonegonzo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale