[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - My first Ho slot car set when I was 4 years old.

My first Ho slot car set when I was 4 years old.

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

My first Ho slot car set when I was 4 years old.

Postby BRP32 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:59 am

I had this tyco pro set when I was 4-5 years old. It was great with the double figure 8 set up. My set came with the british flag lola 260 and the carlings black label mcclaren.

My cousin had a big set also with the yellow/black 911 Porsche and the blue/yellow vette.

We had great times racing back then when we got together!

The crossover track was cool along with the red cobblestone section also.

I wish I could go back to those days. They were such great times!

Last edited by BRP32 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: My first slot car set when I was 4 years old.

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:38 pm

Great Memories Wayne :handgestures-thumbup:
BTW- how old a guy are you ? I'm 56+ and my first HO set was a T-Jet set back in the mid 1960's :) I actually Left HO Slot Racing about '72 .
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:05 pm

Great set and great memories!!
My 1st set was a Tyco figure 8,though I bought it at a different age..A little after I married my girlfriend in 79 at the young age of 19. :) She knew then I would never grow up..
Don't have the set but here are the cars in all of their glory..
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:18 pm

Hey Guys!

Yes great memories!!!!

I had a great childhood with my cousins racing slots whenever we got together.

Rusty, those were my 2 first slot cars also except my lola was the british flag and my mcclaren was black with red stripes.

I still have both today.

As far as my age, old enough to know better but not old enough to act my age........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

46 actually turning 47 in February so I caught the tail end of all the fun!!!!

Slot cars and model railroading, it doesn't get any better than that!!!!

Wayne :D :D :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:36 pm

My next Ho set a few Christmas's later in the mid '70's was this set below.

The AFX Darlington set with the red/blue Richard Petty stocker and the Yellow/black #11 Cale Yarborough Stocker with the magnasonic sound boxes. They were loud but as a kid I thought they were way cool!!!

My Dad was big into 1:1 racing growing up along with my Uncle who ran a Super Stock Dodge back in the '60's. Our driveway growing up was full of neat race and muscle cars. I grew up spending my weekends at Dragway 42, Norwalk Raceway Park and Thompson drag Raceway when I was knee high. I had pillow cases full of redline hotwheels I use to carry around also. Wish I still had them.......Those were the days sitting down the basement running elimination drag races with my hot wheels on my 2 lane drag set to see which car ended up being the fastest....... This time rehabbing from my surgery has given me time to rattle all these great old memories back out!!!!

Wayne (Bolton's Speed Shop) :D :D :D

Along with this set under the tree I got all this also, It was a great Christmas this particular year!
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:13 pm

Back in the day my parents shopped at a store in these parts called "Uncle Bill's discount".

I remember going back into the toy area and getting my free copy of the latest matchbox car catalog by the car turnstile and looking at all the cool hot wheels also.

On cards hanging on pegs like hot wheels were tyco curve hugger cars. I remember purchasing them from $1.99 to $2.50 a piece.

Sizzlers cars were big back then also. I had the big fat wide oval with the chrome sizzlers cars.

Sears at Christmas had a toy area also with all the slot cars in their cubes in a big display case.

I would sit there drooling looking at them.....

The JC Penney and Sears Christmas catalogs were great ways of wasting away your days looking at all the neat toys available back then.

What our kids miss out on these days!!!

I loved growing up when I did!

I would give it all up to go back again!

All this electronics nowadays is a load of crap......

:D :D :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: My first Ho slot car set when I was 4 years old.

Postby dge467 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:07 pm

dge467
The King of Foil

Postby ourwayband » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:37 am

More great memories Wane and Jeff!!!
Had the sizzlers back in the day.Still have a couple of the ol ones.Battery leakage and all. ..
Just recently bought up a few of the Target re-pops and installed some after market batteries in them.
You would not believe how many laps we got with then on the ol' fat track.
Wayne we also still,every once in a while,set up the ol' orange drag strip and chase Hot Wheels again..
Still have my Snake and mongoose carrying case..
Told ya I never grew up..

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:15 am

Thanks for sharing your memories with me guys!

Sounds like we were all cut from the same cloth so to speak in our interests!

I've had a lot of time to reflect lately and I was able to remember all of these great memories from my youth.....

I would love to find a snake/ mongoose hot wheels drag set. I know toys r us put one out in the '90s I believe as a repop.

I've considered collecting hot wheels again but the old red lines I had are so expensive even in poor shape.

My Target had those sizzlers for about a year or so then they just went away.

Maybe not a big seller?

I know I loved them!

Jeff, enjoy and cherish those cars of your Dad's that gave you great memories!

The two in your pic look to be in very nice shape!

My daughters and I were racing on my little Ho track last night for the first time since before my surgery.

We had a great time!!!!

Maybe turn a few more laps later today again too!

There was a huge model rail roading show at our fairgrounds this weekend I would of liked to gone to. Great layouts and plenty of extra toy stuff mixed in also. The wife was afraid for me getting bumped around in the crowds.....I need someone to run interference for me! :lol:
I have enough N scale train stuff now. Just need to set it back up again....

You guys have a great rest of your weekends!

Wayne :D :D :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:49 pm

BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:05 pm

Glad you like them. That Lincoln was painted by my dad. It was white originally.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Gameover » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:10 pm

I stared with a tyco ho set. I don't remember to much about besides the fact it didn't last long as I was rather destructive lol.
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby HRWJim » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:35 pm

Man that hot rod brings back memories. I had one and forgot all about until that pic. I had an Aurora set with the steering wheel controllers. It had the plastic U shape connectors that always broke. I mowed lawns as a kid so I bought extra track and had a couple bushel baskets full. Had tons of cars too. Wish I still had them. Thanks for bringing back great memories. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:07 pm

BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:50 am

Guys, I think we were all cut from the same gear head cloth!!!! :lol:

From Ho to 1:1 and models and hot wheels in between, it is all good and I love hearing everyones stories!!!!!

:D :D :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale