1st Time Track To Buy-Recommendations

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

1st Time Track To Buy-Recommendations

Postby Tudo » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:55 pm

New to the HO hobby and have very limited floor space in our living room to set up a track ( temporary.We are in the midst of either buying or building a new house, afterwards I'll have much space to devote ) Only have approx. 4 feet by 8-10 feet to use for the track while we can sit on the couch and race them.

I would like to if at all possible use this track to experience the different types of cars they have nowadays, the old aurora types from the old days and these new fangled super fast wizard cars if at all possible on the same track. A fellow on ebay told me I would need to buy Tomy and also hook up a tri-power ( ? Like the old GTO's? :) kidding ) tri power Tomy transformer to each lane to be able to run the wizard cars? He also said I would need a minimum of parma 45 controllers for these wizard cars, my question is will this 45 controller also operate the old cars too?

I already purchased a couple of really cool cars, the kind we definitely did not have back in the 60's such as an auto world Jungle Jim Lieberman Camaro, a 66 Nova, cool stuff. I have various health problems that unfortunately limit mobility and it's not easy anymore for me to go out and drive somewhere and so the desire for a hobby that can be fully enjoyed indoors is great. I remember I literally cried when they shut down the Cranford Raceways in cranford NJ where I raced when I was a kid and racked up quite a few blue ribbons in the 1/24 scale arena. These were the years before sex drugs and Vietnam and all the rest of the fun things of the era wiped out any time for slot cars. Now with 60 being the next b'day, the memories are back and after spending who knows how many hours on Ebay and the internet I realize I need some advice and help from those who are doing it the right way. Thanks in advance and hope to have at least something basic in the next week or less!

I would "like" to have a mostly oval track for now, 8-10 feet of straights with a banked curve at one end and regular curve or couple of curves at the other end. Lap counter, even a Drag strip lights if I can incorporate the 2 . ( if not that's ok too ) If you were to put this set together what would your advice be and what would you buy?

Thank you for SW Florida ( in between Sarasota and ft myers ) :text-thankyouyellow:
Tudo

Re: 1st Time Track To Buy-Recommendations

Postby vins123 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi
Tomy is a good choice for what you intend to do, you can easily go up to 8 lane with out any problem,
you can have dual power terminal track(8998) it means independant power on each lane and you can reverse the plug you have a new race and you can change lane without changing place ex from lane 1 to lane 2,
Tomy has more selection of tracks than the other brand.

I have been racing from a few years, we are using Parma 45 ohms controllers and ajustable transfo train, it works for us very well
in the 90,we were using blue controller 45 ohms aurora but after sone intense racing we have to stop for a few minute, they were to warm... we had the same transfo train

Sylvain
vins123
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:20 am

Tudo, if you intend to run any of the Original Aurora T-Jets, with a *16 ohm or higher ohm armature, then you will NEED 90 ohm or Higher ohm Controllers, to give you any usable power band, instead of an on/off switch type of power delivery- if using anything much lower than 80 ohm. Usually though, the old A/FX cars can be run with 70-80ohm controllers.

*(original Wild Ones and Tuff Ones T-Jets featured 6 ohm High Performance arms)
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Tudo » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:00 am

Oh boy have I got a lot of learning to do!
Tudo

Postby BIG E » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:35 am

Yeah, but you're gonna have LOTS OF FUN learning all this stuff!
And this is a good place to learn from. Remember... there are no "stupid" questions, just questions.
That's what they used to tell me back when I was building F-14 fighter jets! Enjoy the hobby -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale