Latest DASH Updates....

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Re: Latest DASH Updates....

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:33 pm

Another Update from Danny Tantrum- with PIX !
Danny Writes > " t-dash and t-dash evo
here's a couple pics of the stock T-Dash and a 3d printed sample of the T-Dash EVO."

:text-goodpost:
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:23 pm

Danny commented (further below) on the following question/statement >
"So basically it's a T-Dash / Xcellerator hybrid with added traction options.
Very nifty. A return to the family tree where things ultimately diverged.
1. Keeping it in the T-jet footprint. 2. Adding the Xcellerator snap in rear axle. 3. Adding the Xcellerator brush holder arrangement that the factory brought back in the Magna, after eventually realized the error of their ways on the AFX. 4. Adding the option to mag it or slug it keeps both the gravity guys and the magnet guys happy.
Sounds well thought out. As you didnt mention it specifically, will a quad lam arm be offered to complete this juicy package?"

Danny's reply > "...plus brush cups. I really like that electrical setup.
uses the same t-dash gear plate although we may 'experiment' with at least a delrin idler gear.
Not sure about a quad-lam. my confidence in the motor company was shaken a few months ago when they sprang a major error on me, that thankfully I caught in time before they delivered 10,000 mistakes to my door. I need to triple check everything they send me. new projects seem to confuse them...
If not a quad, then at least a tri.

:text-goodpost:
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:09 am

I like it! Looks like that will be a fun/functional platform to build off of! :)
Thanks for sharing!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Now- TIRES !

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:08 am

MORE GREAT NEWS FROM DANNY TANTRUM (aka DASH)
Dash Motorsports T-Dash Tires will be available by the end of this week
Same Great Silicone Tires that are on the T-Dash Chassis...

They will be available from:
Tom Stump
Jaghobbies.com
SlotsnStuff.com
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby demether » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:18 pm

Great news ! With narrow wheels and new axles, I will be able to convert my JL tjets too !
demether
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Another Update on the 2 lam 17 ohm DASH Armatures >
Dan let us know that the 2 lam Armatures are in transit, he could have them this week, or by Monday.
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:10 am

Sweet deal! Will be interesting to hear everyone's feed back on those as well! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:30 pm

Good NEWS ! ie- Danny Tantrum just posted the following >
"just arrived! the Dash 2 lam arm! These are testing out around 16.5 to 17 ohms, above the FRAY requirement of 16 ohms.

And we've taken a suggestion from slotking on these and had them made without the lower bushing. The bushing was a bit thick on the samples and limited the amount of brush pressure on the comm plate. It's now gone and we are supplying an optional teflon washer that can be used as an armature spacer (top or bottom) for those who wish to use it.

The armature performs excellently with or without this spacer and we've found that when using it on top it helps position the armature lower in the chassis, which may help to lower the chassis center of gravity a bit. Danny Tantrum......"
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

DASH 2 Lam Arm- Test Report

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:23 am

New DASH 2 lam Arm -First test report.... (from Slotbubba)
"I only got 3 from the first order, but have more coming from a 2nd vendor. So, each one Ohmed very even across the 3 poles, but not a huge surprise each motor was different. One was 16.6, next was 16.9, and the last was 17.4. In a way this could be good to help tune a car for a given set of magnets for those of us that get too serious at times.

The comms are pretty darn flat, and it took only a few turns with a com tool/sandpaper disk set up to have a super nice surface to start running with. Ran in a Aurora Tjet chassis, with Dash magnets and Wizzard brushes.
Used a 0-20V adjustable power supply and did gradual voltage changes.

Each one was SUPER smooth across the voltage range, after letting each one run for a while at 6V to do a little bit of brush break in.

Generally pretty happy with them, until I looked at the two I had been spinning up in a test chassis. Here is a photo of one that has been run for just a few minutes (on the left) versus one that has not been run.

Look carefully on the left, you'll see that the outer part of the windings have shifted outward and are loose. Especially the pole that is near 2 O'clock. Maybe a minor thing, but something to really keep an eye on! Both arms that I ran came out looking about the same.

So…keep you eyes on them as you test, and report what you see if anything. "

Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:41 pm

Thank you for sharing!
Great to hear that the comms are nice and flat/true to the arm and that they are fairly consistent pole to pole - a bit disheartening to see the loose windings though... wonder if that can be addressed with a drop of lacquer, etc to secure them prior to spinning them up?
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby RichD » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:10 pm

I got my 2 lamination armatures today. Here are some preliminary results, I plan on doing two or three more arms tomorrow. I used one of my Dash 3 lamination armature IROC cars for the lap times. So far no problem with loose winds. I run at 18.5 volts. The weights were without the spacers, the Dash arms are lighter than Aurora arms, they seem to be running a little hot. I will have to check for up and down clearence.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:28 pm

RichD - thank you for the data! Look to be pretty consistent pole to pole and arm to arm (both weight and ohms)
Look forward to added updates! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

More Testing

Postby RichD » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:01 pm

Here are some more test results. Still no loose wires. The lap times are all for armatures in the same car, which is a T-Dash in SS trim. I did a quick check on the balance of several armatures, they range from good to just about perfect. I have an RT-HO magnetic balancer. By eye all of the armatures appear to be concentric with flat commutators. Unlike Aurora or JL/AW commutators they do not need to be polished.
If you already have some decent Aurora armatures the Dash 2 lamination armatures are not likely to make them obsolete. If your armatures are from late production Aurora chassis the Dash armatures are more likely to be better.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:19 pm

Definitely appreciate the feedback / data / observations on these - some very helpful reference info! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby RichD » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:42 pm

Based on recent testing the HOCOC rules committee has decided to make the T-Dash chassis and the Dash 2 lamination 16 ohm armature legal for any class that uses Aurora T-Jet chassis and 16 ohm armatures. The new rules will be posted on the HOCOC website.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW HO Scale