Track Problems - Now with track photos!

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Track Problems - Now with track photos!

Postby rockrob » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:45 pm

I'm new so sorry if I post this to the wrong spot but I and my Jr. High students need help.
We built a large, permanemt Marchon MR-1 layout. (donated) Everything has been working great until today.
Now each controller controls both sides of the track. Nothing changed in the way we run the layout, just
all of a sudden we can't race on both tracks.......We have tried every possible controller plug in.
Can anybody help us troubleshoot and fix this issue?
Thanks in advance.
rockrob

Re: Track Problems

Postby dreinecke » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:51 pm

Welcome to HRW!

The very first thing I would look for are shorts. Not only in the wiring, but on the track. Ensure there is no debris that is somehow shorting across lanes in any way.

I'm sure one of the gurus will jump in, but great job doing this with school kids!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby rockrob » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Thanks, there are absolutely no shorts on the top of the tracks and the layout
is completely landscaped so nothing could have gotten underneath. Is is possible
the terminal track is crossed up somehow? Just strange that is happened overnight
without anyone touching the layout. Maybe shorts in the controllers....but both???
Very strange. I hope someone can help.
thanks again,
Rockrob
rockrob

Postby ElSecundo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:51 pm

Rob, are there any crossover tracks? This sounds like a crossover track problem -- they have to be installed in pairs. Odd numbers of crossovers will create the exact problem you describe.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby rockrob » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:10 pm

Elsecundo: Thanks guys so much. There are two crossover tracks and again....it was working great for several weeks.
I hope it is not one of them as they are going to take a major overhaul to get them out.
Bibblster: what you suggest makes perfect sense. I will try it tomorrow. I also used a multimeter on the terminal track.
I am no electrician but it makes sense to me that the two prong power insert sends positive to one side of both tracks and negative
to one terminal of each controler post. Then the oposite controler post is connected to the other side of each track. If this
is true then I may have found the issue in the terminal track. It will be a nightmare to take the track out but possible if need be.
I think your suggestions might confirm this????????? Hope so.
Is there any place to post pictures. This layout is awsome and we would love to share it with you all.
thanks again.

rockrob
rockrob

Postby rockrob » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:14 am

Thanks again for all your help. Well the strange saga continues. I used the multimeter and the 9v battery as suggested.
All tests pointed to the terminal track. At break when students come in I showed them your posts and showed them
how to test the track. The first couple of students tried it and sure enough both tracks were hot when connecting to
only one. When the third student tried the test all appeared to be back to normal. We plugged everything in and it is
as if nothing had gone worng in the first place. Not sure what happened but the problem went as quickly as it came.
Hopefully it will remain a mystery forever. I will purchase another teminal track just in case it happens again. BIZZAR!!!
I will send you some pictures straight away and thanks again for your help.
rockrob
rockrob

Re: Track Problems - Now with track photos!

Postby crowellorama » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:12 pm

Awesome! Got my start in H.O. many many moons ago with my older brother building crazy 4 deckers on a pool table. We went crazy when the G-Plus cars first came out...yes showing my age...lol

Great job!!
crowellorama

Return to HRW HO Scale