HO tracks

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

HO tracks

Postby Slydog2009 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:57 am

I know if I were to get into setting up my HO track I'd want to add some scenery.

I was wondering if you guys do scenery on your HO tracks? It seems like there should be a fair amount of 1/64 scale stuff out there with HO trains and old Matchbox vehicles. I currently don't run HO scale, but I have some HO sets and cars. I'd be interested in seeing some pictures of HO tracks with scenery. I know there is a place for people to post pics of their tracks, but most of them are 1/32 or 1/24 scale. I kind of skimmed through the posts and I didn't find any...if there is central location where all the HO tracks are posted, could you please post the link for me?

Thanks,

-Jon
Slydog2009

Re: HO tracks

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:17 am

Yes, I Do scenery on my Dirttrack Layout, and you can see pix of it in my "Low Budget Race Team" thread.

BUT, you are faced with a Dilemma, as HO Train Scenery is 1/87 Scale, and 1/64 scale Slot cars are waaay Bigger- actually, in the Train World- 1/64 is known as "S" gauge ! And btw- even the T-Jets weren't 1/87th scale, they were more like 1/72 scale !
So you just have to accept that HO Slots are gonna not really match the scenery scale, as even Matchbox and Hotwheels cars are all over as far as scale goes. If you can live with that fact, you'll be ok, but if you're like those Rivet Counter HO Train guys, then you won't be happy.
In my case, I'm happy, I run both scales, but not the same time on the track, and my scenery varies too. You can also use the smaller 1/87 scale train stuff further back to depict distance, and closer up use the 1/64 scale stuff.
PS- lastly, think about 1/64 scale slot cars running on 3" wide track, seriously now, on Tomy and Auto World tracks, the lane spacing depicts the cars side by side at LESS than a Scale Foot in between ! And FYI- Tyco, Life-Like, Marchon and some of the older tracks(like Atlas and Lionel) had wider(equal) lane spacing, which is much better when using THOSE tracks to build 4, 6, and 8 lane layouts. Caveat Emptor :o
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:36 am

Keep an eye out for scenery on my track here shortly. Like you I have been looking for ideas also with not much on the web available it seems in Ho.

Being a model railroader and scratch builder I am pretty much going to do my own thing as I go along.

I will begin working on scenerying on my new 4 lane Ho track this weekend. I have the side containment boards on around the door now and the guard rails up. Breaking out the can of great stuff spray foam to build the scenery base. Putting in a pit area on the one end in the open area and scratch building some grandstands and a timing tower and pit garages also.

I raided my model rail road supplies and found a bunch of trees to put around the layout also.

More pics to follow as I progress along.

Wayne (Bolton's Speed Shop)
Last edited by BRP32 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:39 am

Jon, one last thing. IF you were a member of the Old HRW Site, and can log in there, use this link- http://homeracingworld.yuku.com/login/l ... GD3MY1lRr4 to visit their archived HO Section, which had many pix of members' HO Layouts/Track scenery....
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:52 am

In my searches for sceneried Ho tracks also I would have thought I would of found pics of tracks from the 60s and 70s like you would see in the old magazines?

I didn't find too much out there unfortunately......

I was mainly looking for ideas on vintage layouts with the old style pit buildings and track structures atlas and model motoring and aurora had from back then.

I will keep searching and if I come across anything will post links or pics.

Wayne (Bolton's Speed Shop) :D :D :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slydog2009 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Ralphthe3rd, thank you for the information...I didn't think I could still access the old HRW site.

HO scenery building sounds like it's more of a challenge than I thought. I used to have a HO train as kid and it seems like they might be close to scale to the HO slot cars. Is it just the HO "scenery" that is not the right size?

Wayne, look forward to seeing the progress on your track!

-Jon
Slydog2009

Postby Ogre » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:04 am

Check the Ertl farm series of buildings and their other items. You should be able to make most anything for your track in 1/64. Look at e-bay and amazon and toy farm sites. :)
Ogre

Postby Slydog2009 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:39 pm

Thanks Ogre for the info!
Slydog2009

Return to HRW HO Scale