[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Securing a tomy track to a hollow core door?

Securing a tomy track to a hollow core door?

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Securing a tomy track to a hollow core door?

Postby BRP32 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi guys,

Question?

I built a tomy 4 lane track on a 36" x 80" hollow core door. Should I secure it to the door with caulk or screws?

Pros/cons of either?

If screws what size and do you counter sink them?

Do you use the existing nail holes in the tomy track to put the screws through?

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

Wayne (Bolton's Speed Shop)

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/porta ... reid=49426
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Securing a tomy track to a hollow core door?

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:32 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby BRP32 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:58 am

Thanks guys!

Very much appreciate your help!

Wayne (Bolton's Speed Shop) :D :D :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gonegonzo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:26 pm

Wayne ,

I screwed mine down with #4 wood screws and countersunk the heads . However , I also hot glued a wooden shim on the underside where the countersink would be . This gave me body to countersink . Otherwise I would have countersunk all the way thru the plastic track . It worked fine and the nice thing was , if I had to move it , I could .

As bibbster mention though , he used tacks with success . I thought about that but didn't think they would grab in the thin door skin if your using a hollow door slab . Since his approach worked , it would be the best way to attach it . I never tried the silicone caulk either but I'm going to see how it works .

I see your building the Tuckaway 25 . I built a modified version of it adding some "crazies" in the infield strait stretch . My group really enjoys it and it kind of hooked me on smaller tracks . I even prefer the sectional plastic over the routed as it gives that nostalgic flavor to the track .

Gonzo
gonegonzo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:48 pm

Hey Gonzo!

Thanks for the help and info!

I've decided to caulk mine down.

It would be easy enough to secure with and remove if I ever decide to change things up.

What did you use for outside borders on your layout?

I'm thinking some kind of cork possibly from the craft store?

I think the layout I choose will give a lot of action in a small area much like my 1/32 4 laner in a 4 x 12 area.

My club loved it!

Thanks again and take care!

BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gonegonzo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:13 pm

Wayne ,

I bordered my track with 1/4'' oak plywood sides . On the inside on each end , whatever you use , pad it with some foam or something to absorb shock if a car should hit it . The sides shouldn't be a problem .

This track is great for T-Jets and Magnatractions . I have had TYCO 440X2's on it and it gets intense .

Good luck ,
Gonzo
gonegonzo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:54 am

Hey Gonzo!

Thank you again for the info!

It has been a fun build since getting back into Ho again.

I had primarily been 1/32 the last few years.

Back when we met at John Warrens I was only running Ho and had got back out due to financial reasons that Fall.

Having kids will do that to you and put a halt to hobby spending! :lol:

But it was worth it. Now I am back in both scales and I can't get enough it seems!

This Ho track I'm building I want to run t-jets, magnatractions,tycopro brass pans and HP7 chassis primarily.

I take the newer 440 and srt bodies and slow them down a bit with those chassis to make them more driveable and fun to race.

The newer chassis are just too fast and a blur going around the track.

I'm not much interested in that.

But who knows what the future holds!

Plenty of building and scenerying on the track to go yet!

Take care and thanks again!

BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale