Info on HO

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Info on HO

Postby dc6287 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi, I normally run1/43 but acquired a few brand new HO cars. Back in the day I had a HO track(30 yrs ago) I think it was tyco cliffhangers. But now that my slot knowledge has greatly improved I was just wondering what's up with this scale these days. I might be interested in setting up a door track, but I don' want blinding speeds or super mag cars. Looking for slow and drifty if that's possible.?. Any input would help a lot. Basically a portable setup to have fun with camping or on the road in a hotel.

Thank you,
Dan C.

Sent from deep underground
dc6287
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Info on HO

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:30 pm

I built a door track. Still have it. I used an adjustable power supply to turn down the volts. Run the AW (JL) T-Jets and even some older magna-traction cars and it is a lot of fun.

So it is possible if you get a decent supply you can adjust. Of course many HO experts will have all sorts of ways to accomplish this, but in my view nothing beats investing in a good supply.

I used 60 ohm Parma ECONOS too, work pretty good and a LOT better than any set controller.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Drifty- Slow cars

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:48 pm

A Door track is cool, and you can keep everything pretty cheap if you buy used pieces.
BUT, as for cars, if you want them Slower, and drifty, then that eliminates ALL the Inline Cars that are Super fast and use Traction magnets.
Sooo...you'll be left with something in the Pancake Family, either Original Aurora T-Jets, A/FX, or the Specialy(4 gear) Cars, OR the modern(IMHO- poor quality) Johnny Lightning/Auto World Copies of the Thunderjet, X-Traction(AFX Copy) and their 4 Gear cars. The JL and Early AW T-jets and X-traction did not use (Neo)traction magnets, but the later ones do. Fortunately, the Neos can be popped right out of the chassis. BUT, Unfortunately, once out, the AW Cars poor Quality, rears it's ugly head, and you need to do lots of tuning and tire swapping to get them to run as smoothly as the old aurora ones did.
FWIW, I myself mainly run Pancake Chassis cars that Drift, I have both original Aurora (that you can still buy NOS T-Jet Chassis), and a few JL & AW copies....which with work, can be made to run pretty nice. Also, out next month, will be the debut of the the NEW T-Dash Chassis , which is somewhat of a repop of the old aurora T-Jet Chassis with some modern and better parts etc. The NEW T-Dash chassis will be Retailing for $11.99 each, but only available from THREE Vendors....see the Thread on this topic.
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Info on HO

Postby dc6287 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:46 am

I did see those tdash chassis, as I thought tjets would be what I wanted. Already have AW tjet and an AW 4 gear. I have some adjustable power supplies and Parma controllers. Looks like I might already be on the right track. I think I'll start checking Craigslist and eBay for some used track!
Thanks for the quick input guys!!

Stupid iPad I by no means meant trash chassis or test instead of tjet

Sent from deep underground
dc6287
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Info on HO

Postby BIG E » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:38 pm

Well said, Ralph --
dc6287, you're being led down the right path for fun!
Stick with those non magnetic pancakes and you'll be woopin' it up without all the big $$$ headaches.
Plus, you will be able to actually SEE the cars as they drift around the curves! Don't forget some good (but not too sticky) slip on type silicone tires.
Remember, more good (and FREE) advice available here at anytime. Have fun... Ernie
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale