From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Made it back

Postby Slot Demon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:46 pm

Lost a computer but I am Back Most of my photos are gone also
Trent
Slot Demon

Re: Made it back

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:13 pm

That's the thing I dread most with all this digital changeover. If the main computer is gone, I will lose everything. That's why I am building a massive data storage computer to use as an automatic backup. But the software is killing me. Of course, my youngest can talk me through it, I'm sure, but I want to do it if I can, just to show him the old fart can still do a few things.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Ogre » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:59 am

I feared the same thing, so I bought a external hard drive and use the auto back up.
Ogre

Postby RichD » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:13 am

External hard drives are cheap enough today. Once a week I back up all of the files on my desk top computer. I also have a laptop that is mostly used to run Trackmate. Once in a while I back that up as well and I also synchronize the files on the two computers once a week. It is not a bad idea to keep a backup at another location. You might want the contents of that backup to be encrypted or password protected. One problem that I have run into is obsolescence. I used to use a Firewire drive some years ago because those were faster than the older USB drives. When I got a new computer it did have a Firewire port but it was a struggle to get the computer to recognize that drive. It takes me an hour and a quarter to backup my desktop computer, I may buy a USB3 drive, but I will need to put a board in the computer. The laptop has a USB3 port.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale