[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - AFX 3" radius hairpin curve?

AFX 3" radius hairpin curve?

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

AFX 3" radius hairpin curve?

Postby oldstromguy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:14 pm

I need some measurements for a track layout project.
Does anyone have this track piece?

Here's what I'm trying to figure out.
Let's say I wanted to build a 4 lane oval, using the AFX 3" hairpin turns at each end (with no borders).
The outer lanes would be made with the 6" radius curves.
My question is, how long would the straight sections need to be on the 6" turn, to match the length of the straight part of the hairpin?

I hope that makes sense.
I can try to add a picture, if it would help.

thanks.
dennis
oldstromguy

Re: AFX 3" radius hairpin curve?

Postby BIG E » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Dennis, I've also considered making a very small oval, but never with the 3" hairpin curve for the inside two lanes!

I'm assuming that you're using TOMY A/FX track, correct? The A/FX website (afxracing.com) will show you that the 3" turn is not a standard 180 degree turn, but a chicane or "squeeze" turn. (It also has a small simulated stone wall inside of the innermost lane, which you could probably grind off and fill in if you so desire). I don't know if you were aware of the "squeeze" configuration, as this track was originally intended to simulate a road course hairpin turn. On an oval, it will make the two inner lanes a completely different and unequal challenge to the outer two lanes. Of course, if that was your intention, you're in business!
The track diagram shows that the 3" curve fits inside of the 6" curve smoothly. Once assembled, it looks like the beginnings of the straights would be unequal in length as you suspect. Odds are that you would be able to even them out by the use of different length straight tracks for the inner two and outer two lanes, especially that all the A/FX straights come in 3,6,9, & 15" sizes. (Standard HO tracks are 3" wide, that's what gives us the 3" differential in the track sizes.)
Just by "eyeballing" the website picture, it looks like a 6" straight on each side will do the trick. Sorry I can't just lay the tracks out here and let you know for sure, as all of my sectional track is packed up and 'buried' in the basement at the present time. My friends and I have been spoiled by racing on various "Max Trax" type Drag, Oval, and Road Course raceways over the past few years!

There are two questions that I have:
1. How long do you intend to make the straightaways?
2. What type of HO cars do you plan to run on this little 'mini-oval' once it's completed?
You may also have to try different voltage power supplies, depending upon the above factors.

It's an interesting idea, and I hope I've been of some help to you with your project. Keep us posted!
-- Good Luck, and... Enjoy!! -- Ernie
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby oldstromguy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:17 am

Ernie,
Thanks very much for your detailed response.
I've been trying to add a picture, to show exactly what I'm doing, but all I can seem to do is attach a link to my entire Photobucket album (which is NOT what I want to do).
It seems the more folks try to make things easier and better, they only seem to make them worse for some of us old folks.
Anyway, thanks again for your help.
dennis
oldstromguy

Postby oldstromguy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:42 am

oldstromguy

Postby BIG E » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:29 pm

Dennis - Now I see what you're talking about. Was the Racemasters website (afxracing.com) of any help to you? Also, if you call them, they will get back to you with an answer of some kind.
Or... you could try the email thing. Sounds like you're as digitally challenged as I am! I am also not a big fan fan of our computer obsessed society, either. Pretty funny, considering we're both using one to communicate about our hobby!

Good Luck... Ernie
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:20 am

Just wondering... were you ever able to find out or locate the info about the 3" turn that you were searching for?

Let's hear what came of it... Ernie
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:39 am

Any news on your search for the track sections? It's been awhile... Ernie
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby oldstromguy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:37 am

Ernie,
No definitive answer, yet...but I'll keep looking.
I wish I could just find the darn hairpin in a local shop. Then I could measure it myself.
I did get an email from another contact. His English is not perfect, but if I understood him correctly, he thought the straight was "about 2 1/2 inches". He is also converting from metric, so my guess is a 3" straight would solve the problem.
In any event, I can't believe AFX would design a track piece that would not fit in the way I'm trying to use it. As you said, one of the various straight lengths should work.

btw...I did not at first recognize the chicane aspect of the hairpin. Thanks for pointing that out as well.
It's not an issue, but am glad to know that detail.

thanks,
dennis
oldstromguy

Postby BIG E » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:09 am

10-4, I'll still keep my eyes out for the curve section.
I'll let ya know if I come up with anything. -- Ernie
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:54 pm

Hey oldstromguy, you're in luck -- I found one! PM me for details. Even better, send a phone number with the best times to call. -- Ernie
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vins123 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:03 pm

AFX 3" Airpin
Hi
I am the other contact, I guess, I tought it was the length of the airpin...
Does the others infos help you? I made a list of what AFX and Tomy made about tracks with numbers, are you interested?
Sylvain
vins123
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vins123 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi Dennis

I am sorry ,I missunderstand you, to make a perfect match with the airpin:
2 X 6 inch straits with 4 curves 6 r 1/8.
Sylvain
vins123
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vins123 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi Dennis
i see on EBAY you have complete vol 4 slot car layout it is for Tomy AFX tracks, unfortunately i live in Canada, i tried to contact you a few times and i could not, it is possible to get the same way has the other 3, i went back in ho, it will be an excellent bible for me, and of course, i am in the processus of drawing mine like i did with the Artin one,
thanks
Sylvain
vins123
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale