[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - MY DIRT MODIFIEDS (VERSION 2.0)

MY DIRT MODIFIEDS (VERSION 2.0)

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Re: MY DIRT MODIFIEDS (VERSION 2.0)

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:24 pm

Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:39 am

I'd have to agree with the previous comments as I haven't been on HRW near as much since June as during the rest of the year. I work during the school year and am blessed to have time off in the summer to travel, work on projects around the house, and build slot cars. But, since I'm not in my office I don't go online as often.

I love the modifieds you build as much as you, and always check out your new posts. I've seen most of the cars you make replicas of in person at tracks all over the northeast. You inspired me to post pictures of my 1/32 scale modifieds a few months back, even though I know most HRW readers tend to go more for production race cars from the major series. Even with the loss of great tracks like Penn National, East Windsor, and Flemington, I think the northeast has the best dirt racing in the country, with the possible exception of places like Eldora that host big time sprint car and late model shows. Billy Pauch, Bob McCreadie, and Brett Hearn are royalty in dirt modified circles, yet most race and slot cars fans have never heard of them because it's a regional sport.

That said, please keep posting about your cars. We might be a small segment of the total audience, but we make up for that with our passion.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:25 am

Thanks for the comments guys. Guess as a couple of you mentioned, the Dirt Modified thing is sort of a tiny niche thing? Get out of the Northeast and if you get any reaction, its thought to mean a IMCA or UMP car.

Hey slothead, checked out your pics, looking good. I'd venture to bet you are in NY somewhere? I'm actually heading up that way Thursday for the Mr DIRT show at Lebanon Valley. Friday and Saturday's tracks are still up in the air...not sure where we will end up those two nights?????

Always cool to see others Modifieds, and I have to admit, I don't spend much time on the other scales forums. As mentioned, most are into factory cars and the pavement stuff. Gotta admit though, the detail I see on some of the larger scale cars is really cool. I'm always tryng to emulate that detail as much as possible in my painting!
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:37 pm

I think the Dirt Mods are cool even though I didn't grow up with them. Always just liked the style.

Hmm...my HO track I have is brown... (Cars track)
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby dge467 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Well I am guilty of looking at your builds and not commenting. ;) You have built some nice modifieds, but the early Valiant is my favorite!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby slothead » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:31 am

Slothead here - I grew up in NY and went to Orange County Fair Speedway regularly. Then I started checking out cars from other tracks who'd show up for Eastern States and bought a pop-up camper to go to tracks all over the place, from Bridgeport and Wall Stadium (Turkey Derby) to Rolling Wheels and Fulton. I even followed the DIRT on Asphalt series to paved tracks from Pennsylvania International to Thompson.

We moved to Maine in 2002 and really miss modified dirt racing. When possible I make the 6 hour drive to NY and go to Albany-Saratoga and Lebanon Valley Speedways or drive a few more hours to the Syracuse area. Watching 24 cars power out of turn 4 to start a 30- 35 lap feature is just awesome. Especially since dirt features at weekly races have inverted starts based on track points and the top runners are usually side by side in rows 8 and 9. If only there was a way to handicap slot car racing like that and make the best cars and drivers have to be almost perfect to get to the front in a short feature race. I was loving it when the NASCAR trucks at Eldora ran 8 lap heats - now that's all out racing where the only strategy is go fast and turn left.

No matter the scale, if a car brings out a caution (de-slots) it should restart last. We did this on my 4-lane HO oval track back in the 80's and racing was always close and fun because everyone had their share of wins.

There's a fair chance I'll make it to the Mr. Dirt race too, then go to Albany Saratoga on Friday night and maybe Fonda, Five Mile Point, or Fulton on Saturday night.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:01 am

Well if you make to Lebanon Valley, I'll probably be the only one there wearing a Craig VonDohren shirt. Give us a yell if you see us.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:33 pm

Last edited by TeamMadMarsupial on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Last edited by TeamMadMarsupial on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:11 pm

Wow! Great looking crowd of cars!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby dge467 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Some great paint jobs on those!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:41 am

Last edited by TeamMadMarsupial on Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby skyler » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:36 pm

Your builds are awesome! I don't see how you pack so much beauty & detail into such a small scale.
skyler

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:11 pm

Jeff :handgestures-thumbup: to all the builds on this page, Great work, and thanks for giving us the history on each of the real 1:1 cars as well :)
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:37 pm

Last edited by TeamMadMarsupial on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW HO Scale