Postby J Y D » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:23 am

Nice group of cars.

Thanks for sharing ... J Y D
"Bomber in Training"
J Y D
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: MY DIRT MODIFIEDS (VERSION 2.0)

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:40 am

Had this car on my radar for some time. Finally decided to put the brushes to the paint and get it out of my mind and onto my work bench.
This Modified was driven by Jim Baker at the Reading Fairgrounds. Not sure if this was the first or the second of two almost identical Mustang body Modifieds. You see the car was debuted on opening day and a stone got wedged in the throttle linkage sending it into the wall at full throttle. The team debuted another almost identical Mustang bodied, Kreitz frame Modified soon there after.
My original intent was to make this a T-Jet racer for the "Race Box", but think I'm gonna shelf this one and build another for racing?ImageImageImage
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:41 pm

Bringing another one over to this site.
Built this some years ago to attempt to run in our club's T-Jet Open class. It turned out to be a very fruitful build and has won numerous heat and feature races.
You can see in the pictures that the numbers are wearing off the doors from use and I believe I have actually touched up those numbers at least three times over the years.
This is the Del George driven, Egge owned #9 coupe as it appeared in 1972.

The body started out as a JL Willys and it is mounted on a T-Jet chassis. This has been a good solid, fast runner for me. It is an Aurora chassis, with a D.C. Phantom arm and NACHO poly magnets. It's got a lightened top gear set, a Magna Traction crown gear, titanium cluster shaft, an RT-HO independent front end, WIZZARD LAWs on the back, BSRT shoes with braids, DR Oogan springs, a One Stop lightning rod guide pin and a healthy dose of lead and Tung-Fu putty to keep it in the slot.ImageImageImage
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:16 am

Very cool Modifieds!
And I have to again say "WOW!" - having done my share of "relivery" action on the Racing Rigs - the detail you are putting on these with the hand painted lettering is truly IMPRESSIVE!!!
Thanks for sharing!
:text-bravo:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:03 pm

Just a few little details yet, but this one is about ready to hit the track. Upstate New York, Fonda Speedway regular, Jeff Trombley campaigned this particular car during the 2004 season. His 21j Modifieds are always eye catchers and I actually ran this scheme on my Magna Tractions a few years back.
This is my first newer style DIRT body built specifically for racing on a T-Jet chassis. As you may have noticed, I have only used vintage style body work on my T-Jets up to this point. I run my T-Jets as heavy as possible and this body style enabled me to greatly increase the overall weight of the car compared to a vintage body. I'm thinking this will be a significant advantage, but time will tell? Track testing will begin tomorrow evening.ImageImageImageImage
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:23 pm

T-Jet clean and tune time for our Championship Night this Saturday. Hardest part is to decide which three to race! I believe at least seven of them have won a T-Jet feature this season.ImageImageImageImageImage
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sweet » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:30 pm

WOW!
sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby qball41 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:30 pm

That is some amazing work!

Team mad marsupial, how about some pictures of your track?

Since I'm building a dirt oval, I'd like to see what others have done.
qball41

Postby ShotgunDave » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:40 pm

I'm still amazed by the level of detail you pack into these little HO cars. Very cool!

I know for me, part of the fun of the 1/32 Modifieds is the sliding action in the corners. Are you able to get the same action with the HO cars? Just curious.
ShotgunDave
Connoisseur of Rust

Postby qball41 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:53 pm

ShotgunDave wrote:
I know for me, part of the fun of the 1/32 Modifieds is the sliding action in the corners. Are you able to get the same action with the HO cars? Just curious.

I'm interested in the answer as well.

For me, the sliding action is a must. Thus I've been working with non-magnatraction cars. And if you see some of my other posts, I've been researching non sticky rear tires.

I'm glad to say I'm finding some good success! :clap:
qball41

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:16 am

I must apologize to both shotgundave and qball41 as to how long it has taken me to respond to your questions. Had PC trouble for some time and am just getting back up to speed.

As for the sliding action, the answer isn't real cut and dry. Yes and no would be my response. On my little 1/4 mile home dirt oval, with my runners, the answer is yes, they powerslide real nice. I also use the old Power Steering shoes and some homemade "wide" pick up shoes to enable the cars to still pick up power when hung out through the corners.

The answer for my more serious cars I build for racing with our club is...no! While I like powersliding through the corners.....I like winning more! My racers are made as heavy as possible with the strongest magnets and stickiest tires I can find. Putting the power to the track, getting good traction and keeping the car straight are all hard to do with a loose handing car. Make them as tight, handling wise, as possible to race.

So, sideways and fun at home, straight and fast at the club track.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:22 am

Took out a bunch of my "Sail Panel, Outlaw Mods" to take a picture on the 1/4 mile Bullring. Looks like they are on the four abreast parade lap getting ready to start the feature.
Taking coming out of the short chute into turn two on the Bullring.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sweet » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:06 am

What a great shot!
sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:05 am

Here is a close up of the Jackie Brown #6x drifting it sideways through turn two on the Bullring.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ShotgunDave » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:48 am

I'm always amazed at the detail level you get on these little cars. Excellent work!
ShotgunDave
Connoisseur of Rust

PreviousNext

Return to HRW HO Scale