MY DIRT MODIFIEDS (VERSION 2.0)

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Re: MY DIRT MODIFIEDS (VERSION 2.0)

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:14 pm

Here's a shot of a group of late 70's, early 80's modified drifting through turn one. A few hot shoes in this group; Kenny Brightbill, Donnie Kreitz, JOhn Kozak, Richie Smith, Billy Egger's, Bill Wilson, Bob Schoenberger, Freddy adam and Howie Cronce in the Rio Brothers R-10.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:08 pm

Finished this car a few weeks back to use in our Club's "Open T-Jet" class. This is the 1982 Troyer Mudd Bus chassis, #12A, Big Block Modified of New York States "Jumpin" Jack Johnson.
The "Jumper" is a legend in Modified racing! He has numerous wins at his home tracks, on the Super DIRT circuit and a bunch of track championships in his resume.
This car is on an original Aurora T-Jet chassis. It is powered by a D.C. Motors Thunderbolt arm, spinning between a set of NACHO poly magnets. It is also set up with Balls Out CNC'd top gears, a magna traction crown gear with a 14t pinion and a titanium cluster gear shaft. It's also got a One Stop Anchor independent front end and WIZZARD LAWs on the back. BSRT pickup shoes with braids and Dr. Oogan springs.
It runs pretty well, but still needs a little tuning. Don't think I have it heavy enough yet, will play with adding a little weight and hopefully have it race ready before the end of our season.ImageImageImageImageImage
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:57 am

Another 1982 Troyer for the Race Box here. This was was built side by side with the #12A that I last posted.
Built almost identical to the Jack Johnson Modified, although this one still uses a RT-HO Composite independent front end. A One Stop Anchor has been put on the 12A.
1981 saw Troyer turn the NY Modified world on it's head with the introduction of the Mudd Bus chassis. Many teams scrambled to purchase a new Troyer to keep up with the "Johnsons", so to speak.
This is the #97 Mudd Bus of Mike Romano. As with the 12a this one is set up for the T-Jet chassis.ImageImageImage
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:01 am

On a side note, I saw that my attempt to clean up my photobucket page resulted in the majority of my pictures from earlier posts being deleted. I don't know how many of you are still viewing my cars, but I apologize for the problem and I am currently working on re-organizing my photobucket page and adding the pictures back into my posts. I hope to finish this in the next few days. Again, I apologize to anyone who found deleted pictures posts.
Thank you
Jeff at Team Mad Marsupial
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sweet » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:24 am

Just showing blanks on pages 4+5. Appreciate you correcting the problem. I check everyone of your posts, and admire every single car you've created....THANKS!
sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:19 pm

In years past my builds were limited to those I could physically take pictures of myself, or in some instances, find in a local Racing Paper. The internet changed all that and even more recently the addition of Facebook pages revolving around Dirt Modifieds has opened up an unimaginable number of pictures for my reference library of Modifieds.
It is not uncommon for me to stumble across a picture of a Modified I have never seen before and immediately start a new build for my collection. That just so happens to be exactly how this build came about.
This is the R-97 Big Block Modified of Andy Romano, out of New York. The body is made for Magna Traction chassis.ImageImageImage
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:34 pm

Hope you all don't mind if I resurrect a few of the builds I had posted over on the old HRW site. I had posted 80 of my builds before the site was shut down to make way for this new site,
Here is one of the first Modifieds I posted over on the old site.

This is the sail panel equipped, PMC chassis, "Outlaw Modified" #17 of Mike Ricci. This is the car he ran at the litte Accord Speedway bullring in upstate New York during the 2006 racing season.
Mike's car was sponsored by the Pine Grove Dude Ranch and Resort, J.Mullen and Son Construction, State Farm Insurance, Hull Agway, Powers Automotive and C&J Storage.
This body is built for a Magna Traction chassis.ImageImage
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:31 pm

Here is another one of my very early posts on the old site. Again, another sail panel Modified.
This car was campaigned during the 2005 season by "Iron Mike" Colsten out of Binghamton, NY. Mike's stellar racing career began in 1969 and although he has made the tracks of New York's southern tier his home, he has competed at at least 21 different tracks over the years.
Also known as "The Recycler", due to his career, Mike started in the Late Model division and is the all time leader in feature wins in that division at the Five Mile Point Speedway in Kirkwood, NY. He is a nine time LM champ at the point, a 2 time champ at Rolling Wheels and has a singe championship at Weedsport, Herb Harvey Speedway and Twin Valley Speedway.
"Iron Mike" continued his winning ways after moving to the Modifieds, also owning the most feature wins at Five Mile Point. He is a five time time Modified champion, including 2013 and 2014! Mike also owns one championship at Thunder Valley Speedway.
Have met Mike and spoken to him a couple times and he is very approachable and a genuinely nice guy. The two things that have made me a Mike Colsten fan are the fact that he is a true "Old School" racer and that he runs Ford power!!
This body is made for use on Magna Traction chassis.ImageImage
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:42 pm

I'll say it again: your hand lettering looks better than my decal jobs! VERY nice cars!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:43 pm

Dipping into the well on the old site again. This car was one that sat on my building/painting bench for some time....months, in fact!
Wanted very badly to do this car, loved the graphics, but was a little apprehensive about being able to do a decent representation of the graphics in H.O. scale. Well I finally got the "gumption" to lay down the paint one night and this is the result. At the time, probably the most difficult car I had painted.
This is New York's Chad Brachmann's #3 Big Block Modified from 2005. If you are not from New York, a Pizza Log is a little pizza flavored snack food. Painting the Pizza Logger was a test of paitence. They may not have come out perfect, but in the end, it was a fun build.
My running joke on this car is that the Pizza Logger on the left side of the car may not be identical to the Logger on the right, but I think they could at least pass as cousins? Painting the little John Deere tractor on the side of this car was also a bit challenging. Anyway enough text, here is the car. Body built for Magna Traction chassis.ImageImageImageImage
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sweet » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:46 pm

Your pizza logger guy explanation reminded me of when I was working in a body shop in the '60's. The shop owner went on to explain to me (just starting out) that when I had hub caps that were of TWO styles, to always put the matching pair on the same side....... He said you can only see one side at a time! Therefore the new owner of the car won't notice, for a while. In other words: No matter how hard you try..you can only see ONE pizza guy at a time.
Your graphics amaze me, considering the photos are about 6 times larger than life size. Great job!
sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:50 pm

Finished up the two Bob McCreadie #9 D/A Mods tonight, for a couple of the AFX chassis out of my Race Box.
With any luck they will see the track for our race Saturday night. Should not be a problem as both chassis are multi time winners.
These cars represent the Dirt/Asphalt Modified Bob drove in the early 90's in the short lived and I might add, ill conceived DIRT D/A series.
Bob is a Modified legend, from Watertown, NY and won over 500 races at more than 50 different tracks from NY to Texas, Florida, Canada and Australia. He also has 36 track championships, a 1985 Super DIRT Series title, a 1986 win at Super Dirt Week and a 47 win race season in his resume! In fact "Barefoot Bob" has won 12 or more races in a season 19 times!
Unfortunately Bob suffered a few major injuries during his career, including a broken back two times and broke his back a third time when hit by a car while riding his motorcycle in 2006. This last injury finally ended his illustrious career...too early!
As mentioned these two cars are on AFX Non-Mag chassis. Both have brass side weights on the chassis and brass front weight, I believe from AJ's, back in the day.ImageImageImageImage
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:52 pm

Pulling another over from my earlier posts on the old HW site.
This is one of the newer DIRT style bodies I use on my AFX Non-Mag cars in my race box. I build all my AFX racers adding as much weight as possible, usually utilizing a NOS Super II front and side weight kit. This particular car also runs a D.C. Motors Phantom II arm and NACHO poly magnets. I also use a JW's heavy weight brass AFX independent front end, a Super II rear crown gear and WIZZARD LAWs on the back end.
This car represents the Big Block Modified Troyer Engineering #98H house car driven on the DIRT circuit by Baldwinsville, New York's Jimmy Phelps. This is the car Jimmy drove during the 2009 season.ImageImage
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:34 pm

I never get tired of looking at your builds.Such fine detail in HO scale.

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:23 pm

Thanks Rusty, glad to see some views and that there is still some interest in seeing my Modified builds.
Here is another AFX Non-Mag out of the Race Box, and it just so happens to be another Jimmy Phelps 98H Big Block, Troyer House car. This was the car Jimmy campaigned in the Super DIRT series in 2010.
This car carries the Super II weight kit and is pretty much built to the same specs as the 2009 98H I posted last.ImageImage
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW HO Scale