MY DIRT MODIFIEDS (VERSION 2.0)

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

MY DIRT MODIFIEDS (VERSION 2.0)

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Fri May 03, 2013 9:37 pm

We will start off with my fairly new fleet of Richie Smith #555 Falcon modifieds. Since I build from flat sheet, its not real easy to get the falcon shape, but I still gave it a try. These were built during a Falcon kick when I think I built up 8 or 10 Falcons.

I always thought Richie's 555's were some of the sharper looking cars, year after year.

From the right, the shelf queen on a blank AW chassis. The middle car is one of my Magna Traction racers from tne race box. THe car on the left is another from the race box, this one being a T-Jet.

The Mag is running a DC Motors Phantom II, .468 Law rears, a JW delrin indy front, a set back guide pin, and Nacho Poly magnets.
The T-Jet is running a home wound Possum Hollow arm at 3.5 ohms, Nacho Poly Magnets, BSRT shoes, an RT composite Indy front, .410 Laws on the rear, a Super II rear crown, Dr Oogan springs and lightened gears.
Last edited by TeamMadMarsupial on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: MY DIRT MODIFIEDS (VERSION 2.0)

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Wed May 08, 2013 6:45 pm

Well, it looks like there were a few views, so I'll continue with another. This is one of my most recent builds.

This is the Jessica Power driven Sportsman Modified out of New York. She campaigned this car during the 2012 season.

The body is made for use on AFX Non-Mag and Magna-Traction chassis. As usual the car is built using flat sheet plastic. For shelf cars, I use .020 on the sides, roof and rear panels and .030 for the interior and hood.

ImageImage
Last edited by TeamMadMarsupial on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed May 08, 2013 7:18 pm

These are great....those Falcons are just too cool.
-Harry

"They didn't say you couldn't" - Smokey

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby gonegonzo » Wed May 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Super builds . They look like Falcons to me .

Gonzo
gonegonzo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Wed May 08, 2013 11:39 pm

Very Cool Builds, Jeff :handgestures-thumbup: ....but I still can't get over all that hand lettering ! BTW- I read above-, that you even Re-wind your own Arms too, OMG Dude !
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby racer6583 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:50 am

Your build just keep amazing me to no end and then I find that you did your own arm rewound.

Dude I thought that it was cool that you did your own lettering on your mods but finding out you do your own rewound arms Double WOW.
remember no matter if you drag,drive in a circle, or on a road, if you go fast enough you still get dizzy
racer6583
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Thu May 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Here we have Duane Howard's 2007, BPG Racing, Troyer Modified. Duane runs at Grandview Speedway on Saturday nights, still runing for Chad Sinon's BPG Racing Team. He his running occassionally at Big Diamond on Friday nights and is also running special events in the Glen Hyneman, Keystone Racing #126 this year.
Duane started in Go-Carts, moved up to Late Models, and then the Modifieds. A couple Friday nights ago, he captured his 200th modified win at Big Diamond. He is a multi time champion at both Big Diamond and Grandview.

This car is built as a shelf queen, but is ready to run on either a Magna-Traction or AFX chassis. Its a little bigger than those I build to race and I usually build two cars if I intend to garage one in my race box.

Last edited by TeamMadMarsupial on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Thu May 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Really nice mods - bring back a lot of memories. I used to build HO mods too back in the day and race with the kids. You'll get a kick out of some of the ones I made: 10 - Eurich, 73 - Osmun, 00 - Buzzie, 36jr - Goranson Jr., 20 - Hearn, etc.

Back then I made the bodies out of thin balsa wood and even cut out the windows. Now I build the same style cars in 1:32 scale with paper bodies. By paper I mean thin cardboard such as what kids school folders are made of with some sort of shiny finish on one side. I print my own decals on address lables and cut them out. Now I have about 70 modifieds all the way from 4jr - Rags Carter to 1 - Stewart Freisen.

My newest method is to print my bodies on thick photo paper, then cut the pieces out using a template and glue together. They are very realistic and have run many laps without damage. The only time I change bodies is when a driver has a new body style I like better, such as an updated #4 for Tim McCreadie to show the new paint scheme and #20 for Hearn now that he's back to using his old number. (Perhaps it shows I used to be at OCFS and the PA tracks weekly, but now I drive from Maine down to Albany - Saratoga Speedway whenever I can.)

Slothead
slothead
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Thu May 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks Slothead. Years back, I built a couple 1/32 bodies for a friend who had run H.0.'s with us. If memory serves me, I believe they were one of Richie Tobias's Syracuse cars. My bud, has since come back to H.O.'s, I'll have to ask him what ever happened to those bodies?

We try to get up to Abany/Saratoga each year, usually hooking a trip to Lebanon Valley to the weekend. Know we are heading up to the Mr. Dirt show, but not sure when else yet?
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Thu May 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Those are dynamite!!!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Sun May 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Here is something a little bit different. This is Kevin Duryea's #99k Outlaw, or Sail Panel Modified from 2006 (maybe 2005?). Kevin ran this car at the little Accord Speedway bullring in upstate New York.

This 99k was built for a Magna-Traction chassis and has a cut out in the back of the interior to lighten the rear weight and improve handling. These Sail Panel cars are faster than typical modifieds in full scale. In H.O. however, they are quite the opposite as there is just too much weight high and to the rear.

ImageImage
Last edited by TeamMadMarsupial on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Mon May 13, 2013 7:06 am

The paint is still wet on this one. Finished it up around 0ne this morning!

This is the Bob Weiss # 201 Mustang bodied modified he ran in 1973. I thought this early "down Tube" car was pretty cool, a little plain, but cool none the less!

This car has a pretty neat back story. According to Bob's family, this car had a very young crew chief too young to even get in the pits....well legally anyway. This crew chief by the name of Ray would later on become a quite famous crew chief, and car owner on a bit different level.

Ray....Evernham actually drove this car at Syracuse in either 75 or 76 as a back up to Bob. Unfortunately his first ride in a mod came to an end when he broke the crank down the backstretch in practice.

Hope you all enjoy!
ImageImage
Last edited by TeamMadMarsupial on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby racer6583 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:42 am

Nice representation on the stang looks just like a photo my uncle Dave had on the wall of his garage.
remember no matter if you drag,drive in a circle, or on a road, if you go fast enough you still get dizzy
racer6583
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Sat May 18, 2013 10:26 pm

Here is the #14d, DeSantis Transportation Modified of Meme DeSantis. Not quite sure of the year on this particular car. Picture was sent to me by a fan of Meme a couple of years ago. I believe I had mentioned on another forum that I was having trouble deciding what car to build next? I also thought it was a pretty cool color, one that I had never used before. That alone was reason enough to build it!
Meme has been running mods since back in the Reading Fairgrounds days and is still winning and a threat everytime he hits the track at Grandview and Big Diamond in his Small Block Modified!
This body once again was built for use on either a Magna Traction of an AFX chassis.

Last edited by TeamMadMarsupial on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Sun May 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Here is a recent addition to my Race Box. I did a build of this car last year as a shelf queen, but later thought that with a few tweaks, I could make a cool racer too!
This was the car Richie Tobias took to Syracuse Super Dirt Week in October of 1990. This has got to be one of Richie's coolest rides, and he had a few eye catchers!
This build is mounted to a AFX Non-Mag chassis. It is equipped with Super II front and side weights, a Super II rear crown gear, Super II brush cups, T-Jet springs in place of brushes, a Galinko Quadra-Lam arm, Nacho dark blue Neo magnets, short stepped shoes with braids, a JW brass indy front end with o-rings, and Wizzard .466 Laws on the rear.
The body is built using .020 sides and back, .030 hood and interior and .015 roof sheet plastic.
I have not raced it yet, just practice laps as I am not a fan of the Quadra-Lam arms "flywheel effect" at the end of our 30' front straight. In practice however, it will run with some Magna-Tractions and non-magnet inline chassis.
I am hoping to do enough R&D time to get it ready for opening night this fall? I'm thinking I'll replace the Arm with a Phantom II or a Wildcat from DC motors?
ImageImageImage
Last edited by TeamMadMarsupial on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW HO Scale