[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - T-Dash SS Car

T-Dash SS Car

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

T-Dash SS Car

Postby RichD » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:52 pm

When they first became available I did some testing with a 2nd generation T-Dash car. I ran the car in both out of the box and slightly tweaked conditions. At that time I mentioned that I would like to build a T-Dash in Fray or T-Jet SS trim, but I never got around to doing that.
Recently I volunteered to build some T-Dash cars for an IROC style charity benefit race that will be held at LenJet Raceway later this year. The cars will have vintage Indy bodies like so:

I did a total of eight rolling chassis using mostly the stock parts, I also used Rutherford wheels and tires, Slottech pickup shoes, new style Wizzard shoe springs and Slottech motor brushes. The gears were lapped for 60 minutes using Simichrome. The pickup shoes were adjusted to ride flat on my MaxTrax and the shoe spring tension was adjusted to read 2.8-3.0 grams using the Scale Engineering gauge. All of the cars were track tested using the body shown in the picture. The cars proved to be good runners, the chassis were numbered and their respective lap times were recorded. The average lap time was 6.5 seconds, which is good for a car of this sort.
I ended up with a spare chassis so I decided to do it in T-Jet SS trim with a drill blank rear axle, Oogan shoe springs, Anchor front end, RT-HO crown gear, a 12 tooth RT-HO drive pinion and Wizzard white tires. Lapped stock top gears were used.

The magnets were weaker than I use in an SS car and they were not matched. The armature measured 17.4 ohms across all three poles, When I was doing the IROC cars the one arm that I measured was 16.3 ohms, but that might have been under the 16 ohm limit if the room temperature was lower. I faced off the commutator and checked the balance, which was good, but some Dash arms have perfect balance. I added epoxy to a couple of the poles and got the balance up to very good at least. I could have fussed a little more but I did not think that a 17.4 ohm arm would be worth it.
I took the car for a spin and it is very nice indeed, gear noise was minimal and the car has good punch. What was lacking was top speed on my long straight. The best lap time was 5.558 seconds, my best T-Jet SS car can do it in 5.4 seconds, but that cost nearly $200.
For a start I tried a matched set of older 900 gauss Dash magnets. I was plan on ordering some of the new Dash Killer Bees yellow and black magnets, so I will try those in the future. The high ohm armature was also probably holding the car back, I will try to get one with a lower ohm value.
With the 900 gauss magnets and a small adjustment to the motor brushes the best time was a 5.460.
These cars are still available if you are on Dan Cashmer's customer list. If you race Fray or T-Jet SS cars you might try building one of these.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: T-Dash SS Car

Postby Austin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:39 pm

Yes But us who are newer and trying to get into HO racing have no way to get these better chassis, So we just get left in the dust and you wonder why. I think if everyone can't buy them then they should not be aloud to use them and a Fray or other type of race if you want the hobby to grow. I have no problem with Dan selling to his older customers just don't like the fact that some can use the parts and others can't in the same race.
Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby noddaz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:47 pm

Austin, have you tried contacting Dan about buying chassis or parts?

Now to return to RichD thread.

Scott
noddaz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Austin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:01 pm

Guess I got a little carried away.

It is great that you will build these cars for a charity benefit race, The F1 car looks great, You put a lot of time into everything about these cars and let us know all your finding. I thank you
Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:00 am

When we are talking about Fray or T-Jet SS type cars newcomers to the hobby are in a fix. Millions of original Aurora T-Jets were made and NOS rolling chassis were readily available until a a couple of years ago. Just as the supply of Aurora chassis was starting to dry up the first T-Dash cars appeared, those had minor problems, but the real problem was that they were not legal for most organized racing. Now there is a second generation T-Dash chassis that is essentialy ready to go right out of the box and a fair number of those have been sold. There are still a number of unsold rolling chassis, but as has been noted those are not available to the general public at this time. Old timers would have a supply of original Aurora chassis, I know of at least three people that bought a thousand of them, but they are no longer available from regular dealers. If you were a new racer who wanted to get into T-Jet SS or Fray cars you would have to know someone that was willing to part with some chassis or perhaps scour eBay for them.
Obviously Fray and T-Jet SS racing is popular, but the lack of readily available Aurora chassis and armatures is a real problem. The organizations that support this type of car have been reluctant to allow anything except Aurora armatures and chassis. Now at least the Dash 16 ohm 3 lamination armature is legal for some organizations. The obvious hitch is that Dash stuff s no longer readily available, at least not by my definition of the term, but then neither is Aurora stuff.
I know that Dan Cashmer is tired of assembling cars, but I was hoping to encourage him to continue to sell them, perhaps in kit form.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Norman » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:04 pm

Those are some nice builds, Dr. D!

A T-Dash chassis in kit form would be a very good seller.
Norman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Austin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:52 pm

I pick up some from Rick along with a lot of parts
Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:32 am

I got the Dash cars from a person that is involved in organizing the race, I believe that he got them from Peter Lentros of LenJet fame. I know that the plan is to do some final testing at LenJet so that any necessary tweaks can be done before the actual race. I will not be able to attend the race myself, but I hope that everyone has fun with the cars.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Austin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:06 am

Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:14 am

I got a few more Dash 3 lamination armatures, one of those was 16.6 ohms, so I did a minor balancing job on it and stuck it in the car. The lap time went down to 5.413 seconds. If you can get a Dash rolling chassis the total cost of the car would be about $85. The total cost for a car using an Aurora chassis and CNC top gears would be $145. That figure includes $28 for an Aurora rolling chassis, that was the only NOS one that I could find. You could get a used chassis for much less, but even if the chassis was free the total cost for parts would be about $117.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Austin » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:52 am

Picked up Dash rolling chassis with the 3 lamination armatures, from RT-HO

Picked up some other parts from One Stop Slot Shop

Got the 1966 Chevy Nova body for it from E Bay
needs paint and decals, body lowered
The original builders of this car were Neal Wegner and Dan Spiegel in 1966.It is the only Nova to ever compete in the SCCA Trans-American Series. It raced in the July 19, 1970 Road America SCCA Trans-American Championship and the August 16, 1970 Watkins Glen SCCA Trans-American Championship races.

I love the car,

Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby noddaz » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:22 pm

Austin, please share pictures when you are done with the Nova.
Scott
noddaz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:17 pm

I put this Camaro body on the T-Dash SS car, I may enter it in the HOCOC Fall Brawl race.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby noddaz » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:28 pm

Very nice..
noddaz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:48 am

I tried the car at the Fall Brawl race, it was my fastest car. My regular drive was easier to handle on the tricky Tomy track, so I used it for the race.
Here is the T-Dash with a Fray style Nissan 350Z body that I did for the upcoming Mini Indy race.

​​​​​​​Image 
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale