Random gear (AW/JL) question

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Random gear (AW/JL) question

Postby noddaz » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:33 pm

Does anyone know of a slightly oversize diameter driven gear that could be used in the rear position on the JL/AW gearplates?
Just wondering.

Scott
noddaz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Random gear (AW/JL) question

Postby RichD » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:54 pm

I have found that the stock JL/AW driven gear works just fine. The hitch is that the cluster gear shaft is often not supported on the lower end causing the whole works to twist so the gears mesh poorly. There is a fix in this tuning article: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E7dYHB ... sp=sharing
The cluster gear shaft is splined, I believe that if you wanted to use a brass driven gear you would also have to replace the splined shaft with a plain one and also replace the plastic 14 tooth drive pinion with a brass one. I am not certain if a brass driven gear would mesh well with the stock plastic idler gear.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby model murdering » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:48 pm

Hi Scott,

I reached into the box of many gears and took samplings.

T-jet idlers .396" - .400"

AW idlers .403" - .406"

T-jet driven .396" - .400"

AW driven .399" - .404"

... so there's some range within the brands, but not a lot. I dont know of any substitutes of slightly larger diameter. As for the plastic idler running on a brass driven gear, I wouldnt worry about it. They've been running on brass armature pinions since day one. I've run the possible combinations with no ill effect, OR particularly remarkable improvement ... :lol:

What I'm always looking for is to avoid combinations of plastic gears that will produce a disharmonic buzz or "thrumming" clatter at a particular point(s) in the RPM range.

Bill
model murdering
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Samapron » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:28 am

This article is very well written. I like to read a lot.
Samapron

Return to HRW HO Scale