Super tires question

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Super tires question

Postby Fletch3 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Which Super Tires do you guys prefer, silicone or urethanes? Thought I was running silly’s but JAG hobbies says his are urethanes. They sure look like silly’s when compared to my 32nd tires. Any advantages for one or the other?
Fletch3

Re: Super tires question

Postby Fletch3 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:47 pm

Bump
Fletch3

Postby RichD » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:06 pm

Both my HO and 1/32nd clubs use silicone tires. My testing of silicone VS urethane HO tires indicates that silicone tires have more grip. People often say that the prefer one type or the other, but they seldom say why. Not everyone is obsessed with getting to lowest possible lap times, people that mostly run by themselves often like a tire with more slide.
Urethane tires are a lot easier to sand than silicone tires, so that is one way that you can tell them apart. I have not bought any 1/32nd urethane Super Tires for a long time, but when I was testing the HO urethane tires I noticed that they had a fruity smell when they were new. The HO urethane tires are softer than the silicone tires, I have a durometer so I can measure the Shore value. I am not certain that you could tell the difference just by poking the tires.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Norman » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:33 pm

I always thought the silicone ho Super Tires were black, and the urethanes were either orange or red.
I'm referring to the Pro - Series T-Jet Super Tires on Jag Hobbies site.

I have a Tomy track and get faster lap times with the black colored tires, but the orange & red ones smell better. :banana-dance:
Norman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fletch3 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Thanks guys. I took a nail file and it does have grey dust so I assume there urethane. A nail file doesn’t do anything to my 32nd silly’s. Not really smelling anything from them though.
Fletch3

Postby RichD » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:37 am

Regular black HO Super Tires also make gray dust. Only the Pro Series urethane tires are orange or red. The only black HO urethane Super Tires are the four Tyco R sizes. The only urethane HO Super Tires that I have are the Pro Series ones that I tested, since those are orange or red they can't be confused with the silicone tires. I did have some special extra hard black urethane tires made to use on the front of cars that must have a wide tire. I gave a pair of those to a fellow racer and by accident he put them on the back of one of his cars. As you might expect they had little grip. Since those tires are very hard, about 60 Shore, you can tell what they are by squeezing them.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:11 am

Silicone.
Keep the track clean and the tires grip well.
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale