Jag Hobbies TR-3

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Jag Hobbies TR-3

Postby Fletch3 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:49 pm

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Looking at this online and am interested in possibly buying one but have never raced one. We run t-jets and lifelike. What do they compare to?
Fletch3

Re: Jag Hobbies TR-3

Postby RichD » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:12 pm

Here is the review that I wrote on an earlier version of the JAG car:

JAG-1.1

The changes to the car include Mega G front tires, a longer guide pin, reoriented traction magnets and a new plastic material.
The rolling chassis weighs 13.0g, the front and rear wheels are the same diameters as before. The front tires are 0.395 inches in diameter and the rear tires are 0.438 inches in diameter. The rear tires are softer than most silicone tires, on the track the area under the traction magnets is about dragging on the rails. The guide pin is very long, I trimmed it for clearance. I broke in the motor as before and put on the NASCAR body that I used in my previous testing. The car was bottomed out, so I filed the chassis under the traction magnets, the car turned a 3.259 second lap and was very stuck down and easy to drive. The bottom of the chassis was still dragging a little and I had to adjust my controller for a tiny amount of coast.
I wanted to see how the car would run with harder/larger diameter tires, so I put on some old Lifelike tires from the mid '90s, those were 0.462 inches in diameter and the car did a 3.509 second lap with more straight line speed and with no coast needed. Next I put on some Super Tires Tyco 426 tires which were 0.444 inches in diameter on the wheels and are somewhat harder than the original tires. With those tires the car turned a 3.104 second lap, which equals the best lap times for a Lifelike M or Tomy SG+ with silicone on sponge tires.
The Tomy SG+, Lifelike M and Tyco 440X-2 are now history, so I expect that a new car like the JL-1.1 that has similar performance would be welcome. The ability to mount screw post bodies is an added bonus.

I expect that the TR-3 would have similar performance to the 1.1, I would say closer to a Life-Like T chassis car.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Jag Hobbies TR-3

Postby Fletch3 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:12 pm

Hey thanks. Talked to Jim tonight and got some good info from him. Just ordered one.
Fletch3

Return to HRW HO Scale